Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenager with Perspiration Problem

Options
  • 05-11-2008 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

My 14 year old daughter is suffering terribly from excessive perspiration. It is really getting her down as she is embarrassed by the wet stains and keeps her jacket on most of the time. I tried some antiperspirants from chemist (Mitchum) to mention one but these did not work. Botox is an option but I don't know where to start or how much it would cost. Any advice?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Have you taken her to the dr about this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 MammaTina

No - I was hoping someone could recommend a product first. Most likely thing is that I will pay 50euro for the doctor to tell me to try some products first so thought I'd ask for suggestions from members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A chemist will be better able to tell you what over the counter and non perscription products to try esp as she is still a teen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

To be honest if its getting her down that much there is no point in beating about the bush. I would bring her to the doctor, if its as bad as you say it is there maybe a medical reason for it.... I do know they give botox injections to some people with good results but this might be a little drastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

ask your chemist about driclor, its a deo you put on in the night and wash off in the morning, it works for overactive sweating, it can be used on feet, hands under breasts ect (anywhere basically that tends to sweat) over time you will only have to use it once or twice a week. it can be bought over the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

As far as I know reputable doctors have stopped using Botox for excessive sweating. Some of the reasons for this are 1) that it didn't really solve the problem itself anyway but just disguised the symptom and 2) concern was raised about the use of Botox possibly making detection of breast cancer more difficult.
    Would you consider acupuncture? I attend an excellent practitioner and if you'd like the name and details PM me. I've found it to be a great help for me with regard to knee and back pain when used in conjunction with physiotherapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

MammaTina wrote: »
    No - I was hoping someone could recommend a product first. Most likely thing is that I will pay 50euro for the doctor to tell me to try some products first so thought I'd ask for suggestions from members.

There are antibiotics available for excessive sweating, go to the doctor and get a prescription for one of them first

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

ask your chemist about driclor, its a deo you put on in the night and wash off in the morning, it works for overactive sweating, it can be used on feet, hands under breasts ect (anywhere basically that tends to sweat) over time you will only have to use it once or twice a week. it can be bought over the counter.

+1

[Also talk of getting antibiotics before exhausting your other options is kinda why antibiotics are becoming less and less effective these days]

Thanks all for the replies - very helpful. I will try the Driclor first - I'll call and have a chat with chemist. I didn't know you could get antibiotics- if the chemist solution doesn't work then I will go to the doctor with her. The poor kid is being hit with "nuclear bomb puberty"! My heart goes out to her. I will post next week and let you know how she gets on. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Just to add-

Triple-Dry is preferable to Driclor I think. It works on the same principle but isn't so alcohol based and is easier to use for a lot of people. Driclor tends to sting pretty badly, especially after a few days of use when your underarm skin is dry and cracked. I (back in the day- puberty is a b*tch!) had to stop using Driclor after a few days as it felt like liquid fire! You should be able to buy both in any pharmacy or supermarket.

Also, there's been quite a few threads on this subject in Personal Issues and Fashion and Appearance- might be worth doing a search for those in case there's any other good advice.

• Advertisement

Thanks all! I went to Bxxts last night and they recommended one at the pharmaceutical counter so am going to let her try this. I will post again in a week or so and let you know how it goes. I am new to this idea of discussions and am delighted with the feedback! I know where I will be going for advice from now on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Semele wrote: »
    Just to add-

Triple-Dry is preferable to Driclor I think. It works on the same principle but isn't so alcohol based and is easier to use for a lot of people. Driclor tends to sting pretty badly, especially after a few days of use when your underarm skin is dry and cracked. I (back in the day- puberty is a b*tch!) had to stop using Driclor after a few days as it felt like liquid fire! You should be able to buy both in any pharmacy or supermarket.

Also, there's been quite a few threads on this subject in Personal Issues and Fashion and Appearance- might be worth doing a search for those in case there's any other good advice.

But triple dry nessecitates constant use while Driclor has the potential of being a weekly application thing, but I agree it burns like hell :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

to lessen if nor eradicate the burn of driclor you make sure to roll the roll on only once in the same area, this ensures a light application, it is not to be used like a normal roll on where you roll up and down 10 times!:p, and i do agree in time you end up using it only once a week, then once every two weeks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I'd go to the doctors if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

I agree, its prob her hormones thats causing it, Doc would be your best option and far cheaper than botox

Advertisement