Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting dog down

Options
  • 05-11-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

It looks like my boyfriend's family dog might be put down in a while. She's very old and has been sick for nearly 18 months. She's on a lot of medication and although not in pain, she's still ill. She's been getting steadily worse and weaker and I think the family are starting to think that they can't let her suffer anymore.

I've been going out with my boyfriend for nearly 2 years and I am really attached to this dog. We believe she may be the mother of my own dog which is another reason why I'm so attached to her, and my boyfriend is very attached to my dog. I've never had to put a dog down, and the idea of losing his dog is really upsetting me, but I know it will upset his family more. It will be especially hard for him to see my own dog, so when it comes to it I plan to try and keep them apart for a while.

As I've never had to put a dog down I was wondering if anyone here who has could give me some advice on how to support my boyfriend and his family? They cherish this dog so much and I want to help as much as I can.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

It is a very difficult thing to do, there is probably going to be a lot of tears involved which will embarrass you're boyfriend,[ its only a dog, can't be crying over a dog type thing] so be prepared for this, support him without embarrassing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

It might be difficult for him to see your dog but I have been in the same situation and was lucky enough to have puppies belonging to my dog - it was nice having them especially the one which looked like her the most as it reminded me of all the good memories growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

I think its so great that your dog is related to this dog and it should make him feel better down the line when he comes to terms with the loss of the family dog. They all just have to feel the pain and the loss. Its so so difficult and all you can do is be there for them. Having to put the dog to sleep just makes it so heart wrenching and I feel for all of you. I really do.
    It sounds trite but you all just need time to try to come to terms with it.
    Keep us posted here and take care.xx

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

It is a heartbreaking decision to have to make but at the end of the day its not fair to keep an animal alive just for our sakes, especially when they are never going to get better. We had a similar situation with our 18yr old cat and I really feel for you all.

One thing I would say is not to keep your dog apart from your boyfriend. He might take comfort in the fact that it's related to his own dog and also he will miss the company of the dog badly.

all you can do is just be there for him, it takes time to get over it (despite some people thinking they are just animals so nobody should grieve) as they do become part of the family.

Take care xx

Advertisement