Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol or Diesel ?

Options
  • 05-11-2008 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

whats the climate looking like these days for Petrol or Diesel cars ?

I know that a petrol car would be "nicer" with that extra little bit of ooompf. recently petrol and diesel prices have been levelling depending where you go.

Would it be better to buy a petrol car or diesel car today ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Depends on your annual mileage really. The common consensus seemed to be that you needed to be doing ~20K miles a year for it to be worth your while to get a diesel car.

The petrol snobs will soon be on saying how a petrol engine is far superior and all that, but in reality (for some people) the low down torque of a diesel engine actually makes it feel faster, as you don't have to get the revs high for the car to shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I think you will find diesel will have more "oomph". I don't do huge mileages but bought a diesel as I like the way it drives, the good economy and low road tax.

In todays climate diesel seems a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Depends on how much driving you do.. If you only do a little then a petrol car with decent emmisions for road tax purposes is the best.. If you do a good bit of driving go for the diesel.. However somethin to be considered whether or not you do alot of driving is a small diesel engine - like a 1.6 Kia C'eed or Ford Focus. Both almost drive the same as its petrol brother but might be worth that little bit more when it comes to changing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Drive both ... pick whichever one floats your boat

No one can tell you what you will like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

The question can be better answered if the OP lets us know what age of car he is interested in buying. New or second hand?

If second hand, you don't have to do high mileage to justify the diesel. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

samhail wrote: »
    whats the climate looking like these days for Petrol or Diesel cars ?

I know that a petrol car would be "nicer" with that extra little bit of ooompf. recently petrol and diesel prices have been levelling depending where you go.

Would it be better to buy a petrol car or diesel car today ?

What are you buying?

New or used?

If used, is it an 08?

We need more info really to give an honest appraisal.

It can often depend on the car which engine type suits it best, but generally petrol is like you say OP, better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

im aiming in the 15k range... but i was initially looking for a lexus which would bring it back to 2001/2002... but im limited to a petrol for the IS200 (gs300 would be too much on tax).

I saw a great deal on carzone... http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/200842190527905/advert think i should go for it :)

i thought i did alot of milage, but its only coming out at 10k miles/year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

im aiming in the 15k range... but i was initially looking for a lexus which would bring it back to 2001/2002... but im limited to a petrol for the IS200 (gs300 would be too much on tax).

Go for petrol. They can be had for shag all these days at this age and most diesels from this era don't have anything like the power of their petrol counterparts.

I'd go for the Lexus, if the straight 6 and RWD chassis are even half as good as the straight 6 petrol(and I'm sure the engine in the Lexus is a great engine because sister company Toyota make decent 4 cylinder petrols, which is always a good start and I know that the Lexus makes a great noise like all straight 6 petrols) and chassis then you'll have a seriously underrated car and best of all being a Lexus means it will never ever go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Well, you'd get a very tidy 530d for that price, but if the tax is a deal breaker then that's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

I am currently driving a BMW 520d E60. She delivers when i need it to and averages 47-49 Mile per gallon and now that the diesel price have come down i am over the moon as i was thinking about buying a petrol one. Before that a had a 3.0 TDi VW Touareg Commercial she was a Dieselholic thats the reason i had to let it go. It was breaking me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I saw a great deal on carzone... http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/200842190527905/advert think i should go for it :)

i thought i did alot of milage, but its only coming out at 10k miles/year

Do, go for that. The car is in Liverpool, but will be shipped to you by helicopter if you put your money into Western Union under your own friends name and thank you please to be driving the car for a week, if you no like you can take back your money but I'm sure you will likey the car.

Biro wrote: »
    Do, go for that. The car is in Liverpool, but will be shipped to you by helicopter if you put your money into Western Union under your own friends name and thank you please to be driving the car for a week, if you no like you can take back your money but I'm sure you will likey the car.

its not in liverpool. its in Germany with the guy who had a bad divorce and living with his mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

its not in liverpool. its in Germany with the guy who had a bad divorce and living with his mother.

Even better! I'll give him twice what he's asking!

Biro wrote: »
    Even better! I'll give him twice what he's asking!

oh your good to me !

he just replied to me asking him do i have to pay for getting the car from germany to ireland. seemingly i dont... its all on him, transport and insurance !... and if i dont like the car !!!! ... wait for this one... i can return it to him within 15days and he will pay for the delivery back !
    If anyone wants to see my emails to him let me know and ill put it up in the humor forum :)

Advertisement