Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats your Average Annual Mileage

Options
  • 05-11-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

I remember when growing up da racso telling me that the average annual mileage of a car is 12,000 miles. That was neither today or yesterday actually it was about 20 yrs ago.

Given this length of time and how so many people live in communter towns I was wondering what figure do you feel is average.

Example: If looking at a 04 car with 80k miles do you think umm thats high or average?

I know many other factors like how car is driven and service history come into play.

I would feel the annual average is about 18-20k a year.

I do about 30k a year.

So whats your annual mileage and what do you think the average is?

What do you think is annual average mileage? 45 votes

8-10k
    0% 0 votes
    10-12k
    26% 12 votes
    12-15k
    26% 12 votes
    18k Plus
    46% 21 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Judging by when i got my current car, bought it in Feb with 30k km and now showing 59k km so looking at about 40-45k km for the year which is about 27k miles.

These days I would say the average is somewhere about 14-15k miles a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Just to and from the office is 600km per week so any other use takes it over 18,000 miles per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

10-12k miles a year for me

• Registered Users Posts: 68,982 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I seem to remember being told the Irish average in the old days was only 9,000 miles!

I'd see 18 thou miles as being average enough now - but I do much more than that. Cars don't wear out as much and our roads are better than they were, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

about 15,000 (24,200 km) miles per annum for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

around 22 - 25k miles pa for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Slightly over 10k I reckon, handy living only a few miles from college/work/town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

don't drive anymore - sold the car 2 yrs ago and rent a place 2 mins walk from work, bars supermarket etc. only a pain if I want to go away for the weekend around the country.

when i was driving I only barely got the 10,000 Km mark - I do use a lot of public transport where possible

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I drive around 80,000klms a year. Its madness but that life for me.

I drove 269km today tomorrow maybe only 150 and Friday Im planning on doing a Limerick - Dundalk - Limerick - Tipperary run so thats around 700kms.

I wish my boss would let me buy my own car on mileage because I would cream him and be driving a swish car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ironically I switched to a diesel car about 12 months ago as I was doing about 33k miles per year. A year on and I am only doing about 20k miles per year now and that included moving house further away from my company's location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,982 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MYOB wrote: »
    I seem to remember being told the Irish average in the old days was only 9,000 miles!

I'd see 18 thou miles as being average enough now - but I do much more than that. Cars don't wear out as much and our roads are better than they were, too.

Going on what I've done so far in my new car since I got it, I do 30,000 miles a year. Didn't think it was that much :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I do 40k miles a year going to and from work (and a weekly shop at the weekend).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd say some where in between 14,000-16,000 depending. Father bought a new Passat day one of 06 and there's 22,000 kms on it now. Some one do the maths lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

20,000miles or 32000k's in new speak.

Advertisement