Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 Mazda 3s, how much for writing off and replacing?

Options
  • 05-11-2008 2:57pm

Posted a thread a few weeks back about trading in my 2004 Saab 9-3 for a car in the €25k bracket The responses generally said the trade in I'd get would be crap, so would have to put a lot with it.

Anyway, since then things have changed. Wife had a 2006 Mazda 3 saloon 1.6, nice condition, slightly over 50,000 miles. It was recently damaged in a flood and insurance company will write it off, so rather than putting a car towards trade in, will have the cash.

First question - was wondering if I should give her mine and use the money she gets towards my trade in?

Anyway, the fellow she got her Mazda from has come back with another car, same make, model, mileage, size and condition - it has a/c and steering wheel controls too. He says he will sell it for about €15k. Is that price reasonable given the downturn in the current market? If she decides to do her own thing and not take my car, would she be able to get it for much less at auction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

€15k sounds slightly optimistic from the salesman tbh. There was someone on here during the week being offered 9.5k trade in for a 06 Focus. Granted the car might owe the dealer some money if it's been sitting on the forecourt for a couple of months but €15k cash price for a soon to be 3 year old car is quite steep.

Look at this 07 1.6 Touring Spec. 15k would prob buy it

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda3/1.6-4Dr/200841190335311/advert

2006's with similar mileage to your wifes seem attainable for about 13k from carzone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

15K would be the book value of the car at 2years old (Give or take). Laugh at him say no thank you, you can do better in this climate then that. While nice car and all i'd offer him 12/13k.
    Owe him money or not very few people will pay 15k for the car. They would be silly with the market out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

First question - was wondering if I should give her mine and use the money she gets towards my trade in?
    This sounds like the most sensible course of action to me.

Thanks for the tips.

And she doesn't even owe any money on it, straight cash buyer last time. And she will be again because of the insurance payout - that's unless she agrees to give me the money and takes my car. No finance, no trade ins, nothing.

And thanks for the link, EDM, rang the garage and they've already said they would do it for 15k and its a year newer with only 8k miles, and alloys. Cyber pint for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

A friend of mine recently wrote off a 2005 Mazda 3 1.6 and got 13k from the insurance company

• Advertisement

Assessor rang. Getting 15k for the car, which seems fair enough.

Still think she should give it to me and take the Saab. Have told her I'll get it valeted, serviced and alloy wheels if she'll gimme the money to upgarde my car. She does a lot of mileage, 80 a day, and think the 2004 Saab better than the 2006 Mazda 3 for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Andy_R

My sister was recently offered €7,000 for a 05 Mazda 3 1.6 Touring. The best trade in price she got was €9,000.

Advertisement