Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bt 24Mb bad connection speed?

Options
  • 05-11-2008 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hey All,

can any one tell me why my connection speed is so "low" (about 9000Kb/s). My line info,

noise margin downstream: 4 db
    output power upstream: 19 db
    attenuation downstream: 31 db

noise margin upstream: 7 db
    output power downstream: 11 db
    attenuation upstream: 19 db

Shouldn't I be getting a connection speed of about 14000Kb/s?

I have tried connecting to the modem directly and having no phone/dsl splitter, but it had no effect (except for noise margin going up 1 db).

Any thoughts?
    Thx.

P.S. Here is my speed test output
    350671431.png

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

cherrio wrote: »
    Hey All,

can any one tell me why my connection speed is so "low" (about 9000Kb/s). My line info,

noise margin downstream: 4 db
    output power upstream: 19 db
    attenuation downstream: 31 db

noise margin upstream: 7 db
    output power downstream: 11 db
    attenuation upstream: 19 db

Your noise margins are low, thereby exposing your line to noise and errors. You want your SNR to be above 10 dB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Spear wrote: »
    Your noise margins are low, thereby exposing your line to noise and errors. You want your SNR to be above 10 dB.

Actually this isn't the case with the ADSL2+ LLU service.

What is your sync rate OP? It could be all your line can handle, after all it is UP TO 24MB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Username! wrote: »
    Actually this isn't the case with the ADSL2+ LLU service.

What is your sync rate OP? It could be all your line can handle, after all it is UP TO 24MB.

It's the case with the ADSL2+ lines provided by Smart, they always aim for a minimum margin of 10 dB.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

Username! wrote: »
    What is your sync rate OP?

I don't know, how / where can I find it? Is there any thing else I can do to improve my sped?

Advertisement