Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing making tape

Options
  • 05-11-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, hopefully someone might have a "solution" to this problem (I just love the puns :))

Anyhow a mate of mine (window cleaner) has been asked to get rid of old dried in masking tape that was stuck to the handles etc on windows. The painters had left it on and the fittings are brass so the owner doesnt want a brillo pad for example being used.

Any ideas as to how the tape can be easily removed without staining or scratching the brass? Im guessing some sort of solution (warm water & vinegar maybe)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Tell your friend to soak tape in warm soapy water. Allow tape to soak it up then reapply liberally and rub tape vigorously. Use a sharp blade on glass.

Soap with kill stickey glue, the water with lift the paper.

A hand steamer might also work well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 petruskaj

I had to remove adhesive from stainless steel products in an old job. We'd some kind of solvent there that worked really well, but it was dangerous stuff. Warm water & soap is okay and definitely won't damage the brass... you might have to use your nails a bit to get the adhesive residue off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Most brass door handles are lacquered, so make sure you don't use any kind of solvent that might dissolve that as well! The warm soapy water solution sounds the best bet to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

on a build I once done, the stupid painter masked everything brass(instead of removing the hardware) . We tried everything. the only solution was to replace all the hardware. solvent took th lacquer of the fittings so we could not use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Try WD40 on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks for all the replies lads (and lassies?).

Yeah its the problem with the brass handles that he is most concerned about. It looks as if the old warm soapy water may be his best bet.

@Carpeneter - WD40? Can you elaborate on that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've found the best way to remove any labels, tapes, films etc from metal, glass or plastic surfaces is to first soak/ scrub the affected areas with warm, soapy water. This will help remove the label etc. The remaining sticky residue can usually then be removed with white spirit or WD40. White spirit or WD40 will not harm clear lacquers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

In my years of experience once you leave masking tape on for over 2-3 days then it will be a total pig to get off. Once rain or water hits masking tape forget it. Take off as much as possible, you will be left with the glue residue. I found that if you use a cloth slightly wetted with white spirits then it will come off but with a bit of elbow grease.

God love you......Painters should of really know to take it off as soon as they were finished or take it off after a days work....

You will find that some of the tape will come off easy enough then some not, you can dampen the masking tape with white spirits and let it soak and it softens it and it will be easier to take off....

Do a sample piece first if your worried about the brass, but white spirits shouldnt do any damage to it really. Well only the rubbers of windows and seals...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kaizer_soze

The best way tro remove this without scratching or affecting paintwork is to buy a little tin of "Clean Art" 3M or Scotch make it. It dissolves adhesives very quickly and easily without leaving sticky residue. It's ideal for removing masking tape. You'll get it in arts and crafts shops or artist supply shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hairdryer can work depending on how long the tape's been on.

If not, Label-Off 50

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/55-123.aspx

Hard to find but it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

take the handles off and let soak in warm soapy water for a few hours. be carfull using any scrubbers that you don't scratch the brass. don't use vinegar on brass as it can stain it in the long run.

if you're gonna mask again, use the blue masking tape. it comes of properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks again lads for all the replies.

Advertisement