Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drum Mod - Adhesive foam?

Options
  • 05-11-2008 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I went to my friends house a few weeks ago and played on his Rock Band Drumset which was modded as per the below website.

http://www.generationgamerz.com/v2/insight/time-for-rock-band-arts-crafts.php

This mod was awesome as it dulled the sound of the drums, didn't lose any sensitivity at all, and gave extra bounce on the pads, so it felt better to play... especially for fast difficult stuff. (RTTH much?)

Anyway... it's driving me nuts 'cos I can't find the last bit of material anywhere and I was hoping that someone here could help me find it... (in Dublin)

There's 3 things needed.
    1. Circle Cutter (not terribly important as a scissors or stanley blade will do... Circle cutter is far neater though) - I haven't found a decent one in dublin yet. :(

2. Adhesive Felt - I went into The Woolen Mills and they have a big roll of blue Adhesive Felt which is perfect. €8.95 per metre... you'll probably need half a metre. (maybe a little less)

3. Self Adhesive Foam Rubber - This stuff is impossible to find. The art and hobby shop in Jervis Shopping Centre has Non-Sticky Foam, which is nearly right, but less bouncy and not adhesive... This is also called Funky Foam, but I can't find that anywhere either.

Does anyone know where I can get the foam/rubber in Dublin from? or decent circle cutter?

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Just buy the pads in the shops. Game, Zavvi , gamestop, only about 15 to 20 euro. And look a hell of a better than a bit of cut up rubber with a stanley knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Just buy the pads in the shops. Game, Zavvi , gamestop, only about 15 to 20 euro. And look a hell of a better than a bit of cut up rubber with a stanley knife.

I'm afraid that's where you are wrong.

I actually have those pads you are talking about... They do look slightly better, but on EL drum pads, they really kill the sensitivity. Also, they don't have as nice a 'bounce' from the pads.

This mod does not look like "cut up rubber"... it actually looks quite neat if you go with a single discrete colour (eg, black or navy). It has the appearance of a snooker table cloth.

The official rock band drum pads? Or the crap third party ones. My Rock band ones look and work fine. Best way to stop the noise it just turn up your sound system. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I bought the official drum pads too but like Cully said they make the sensitivity real crap.

Eveyone to their own I suppose. Why not try the sock mod?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Eveyone to their own I suppose. Why not try the sock mod?

The sock mod doesn't make them more sensitive...

rock band 1 drums aren't velocity sensitive anyway so just hit the drums harder! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

The sock mod doesn't make them more sensitive...
    It works on my QMs. I assume most other people have ELs though?

People are getting the wrong idea here....

I'm doing this to DULL the drums mostly... My neighbours complain a lot and I see where they are coming from. The majority of the noise comes from the coconut-sounding pads.

1. Hitting harder will not make them work better. Actually it breaks them and dents the heads. I know this because my old set has a cracked pad, all dented heads, and it doesn't work as good. Coin Mod is the way to go for the EL. If you do this, then sock modding it won't make much diff.

2. Turning up the TV defeats the purpose. I'm not trying to drown out the sound of the drums.. I'm trying to lower the noise so it doesn't travel through the walls next door.

I've also heard about "Drum Mats" you can get for real drums to absorb shock and also grip pads that may creep forward when playing (esp rb drums cos they aren't secured to the floor). I'll let you know if I can find anything useful.

Also... if I ever do get this rubber stuff, I'll get pics of my "mod" attempt.

Have you a wooden floor? I find most of the noise travels that way. Like you said stick a mat down. Or sound proof your room. Or do what I did have an annex out the back on my house for gaming. Detached from the main building. I have it sound proofed, use it for gaming, art , and a bit of work. My studio of sorts. Great when you want to play rock band at 2am drunk! lol

• Advertisement

Nice idea, but I'm renting accommodation so I'm not willing to pay for much extra.

I did find some website that says to get a peice of MDF board and put 2-3 old bits of carpet under it... then one bit on top... then your drumset... so kinda like a platform on top of your floor...

Although this only works for vibration I guess... normal noise will have to be removed some other way.

Advertisement