Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with puppy

Options
  • 05-11-2008 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Have any of you travelled with your puppy or dog? How difficult do find it on trains and planes? I just mean a short flight, under two hours.

Is it a reasonable thing to do or do you recommend leaving pets at home if it's at all possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

If you are looking at travelling to mainland Europe, you have to organise for a Pet Passport. Apart from having to get the dog chipped, you also need to get the dog vaccinated against the rabbies and get a blood test done 30 days later to confirm whether the vaccination has been successful.
    The other 'detail' is that you have to wait 6 months after the vaccination before you can return to Ireland from mainland Europe. So, if you were to vaccine your dog tomorrow, get the blood test done next month and you could travel to France then but you couldn't bring the dog back to Ireland until next June ...
    There are no restrictions between Ireland and England.
    We travel to France with our dog twice a year, but we take the ferry and we go through England for his comfort (2 shorter crossings).
    I'd only put the dog on a plane if I were to relocate a long way away.
    Can't talk about trains as I haven't experienced it.
    Hope this helps.
    ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Neesa wrote: »
    Have any of you travelled with your puppy or dog? How difficult do find it on trains and planes? I just mean a short flight, under two hours.

Is it a reasonable thing to do or do you recommend leaving pets at home if it's at all possible?

Hello Neesa it all depends where you are planning on traveling.
    In Ireland If you let the company know you are taking a dog on the train and if you make an effort eg. (some variety of pee place for the pup) the company will have no problem with it you will be surprised how helpful and happy the company will be if you just give them warning.
    Sadly as for planes you have to go through pet passport problems and everything unless you are traveling in Ireland.
    I hope this helps you to some extent:D

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Hi Neesa,

With regard to flying, Ryanair don't take pets at all and Aerlingus will only take them on certain transatlantic flights and they have to travel in the cargo hold.

The puppy is gorgeous btw!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Thanks all, sorry I should have provided more information.

I wouldn't be wanting to bring him on a flight to mainland Europe, just as far as England. So it's good to know there are fewer restrictions. And for train journeys I'd only ever be travelling Dublin to Wexford (3 hours). I would have him in a travel crate.

The OH and I are thinking of going to the UK for a week next year and ideally I'd like to bring puppy with us, although if we can't I have family that he could stay with (either way he'll get a holiday).

Purple Princess thank you for the compliment!

Advertisement