Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batteries

Options
  • 05-11-2008 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

This is my first post, and I'm not sure this is the right place for this but it could involve some DIY.

I've a drawer in a dresser at home that's absoloutely full of batteries. Lots of them are wasted but there's definitely some good ones in there. I was thinking of making something to store them in, to keep them sorted. They're mostly AA or AAA. I bet lots of ye have a drawer like this and I wondered if anyone had any ideas about what to do about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

petruskaj wrote: »
    This is my first post, and I'm not sure this is the right place for this but it could involve some DIY.

I've a drawer in a dresser at home that's absoloutely full of batteries. Lots of them are wasted but there's definitely some good ones in there. I was thinking of making something to store them in, to keep them sorted. They're mostly AA or AAA. I bet lots of ye have a drawer like this and I wondered if anyone had any ideas about what to do about this?

batteries are recyclable at those WEE drop of points. why not recycle.

why would you keep them?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Is it that you want to find out if some of them are still useful?
    If so, get a multimeter so you can read the open-circuit voltage of them
    You'll probably pick up a basic digital meter for €15 or less in a hardware or electrical shop.
    Assuming they're 1.5 V cells (AAA, AA, C and D sizes) then a good one should read about 1.65 V or so and a bad one 1.4 V or less. In between will read... in between!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 petruskaj

I haven't recycled the bad ones yet because they're mixed in with the good ones. I want to test them all and then maybe make something to keep the good ones sorted. I suppose it's a bit of an odd idea, but I just thought maybe someone had already come up with a clever solution.

Advertisement