Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joey Barton: alleged racist incident. no one suprised.

• 05-11-2008 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭

Villa consider racism complaint against Barton

Aston Villa were last night weighing up whether to make an official complaint to the Football Association as they looked into allegations that Joey Barton racially abused the England Under-21 international Gabriel Agbonlahor during Newcastle United's 2-0 victory at St James' Park on Monday night.

Newcastle declined to comment. Barton's agent, Willie McKay, said that he was in hospital last night and added: "I don't want to talk about the situation. I don't know anything about it." Barton is understood to categorically deny the allegations.

Villa are undecided over what course of action to take, following a series of high-level meetings at Villa Park yesterday. Those involved the manager, Martin O'Neill, and senior club officials who consulted with the American owner, Randy Lerner, as they examined television footage to see whether there was any substance to allegations that Barton racially abused Agbonlahor in a first-half confrontation which had to be defused by the referee, Steve Bennett.

Barton appeared to swipe Agbonlahor in the face, though the FA said it would take no action over that incident, and it is understood Villa are considering their legal position in what is a sensitive issue, coming only three games after Barton resumed his career at Newcastle following a six-match FA ban for his training-ground attack on a team-mate, Ousmane Dabo, during his time at Manchester City. He previously served a jail sentence for affray and assault for an incident outside a McDonald's restaurant in Liverpool.

Villa officials have confirmed that the investigation is into matters of a racist nature and Setanta Sports has provided the club with footage of the set-to with Agbonlahor. Villa's legal advisers spent several hours yesterday examining the tapes and are considering employing lip-reading experts.

Agbonlahor is being consulted over whether he wants to proceed with an official complaint and O'Neill may be faced with the dilemma of whether to pursue the matter should his 22-year-old striker decline to do so.

The FA is awaiting Bennett's report although it is understood he has made no mention of racism in it. An FA spokesman said: "We are aware of the rumours circulating and have had a number of calls on the subject but it is difficult to comment any further on something that has no further substance to it. We take seriously any allegations of racist abuse and will obviously act accordingly if we receive any official complaint from Aston Villa."

Agbonlahor's agent, Tim Webb, confirmed that he too was aware of the accusations but had not been in contact with his client about the subject. "I have not spoken to Gabby. It was a day off for him on Tuesday because he has such a hectic schedule with Villa and his mobile has been turned off. I am aware that Villa are looking into the situation," he said.

If Villa press ahead with an official complaint it will spell further trouble for the controversial Newcastle midfielder less than a fortnight after he insisted he is a reformed character and wants to put his chequered past behind him. Barton claimed that he wants to be a role model for all young footballers but his return to action has been controversial. Barton has been supported by Newcastle's interim manager, Joe Kinnear, but was the subject of abuse from Sunderland supporters while warming up in last month's derby at the Stadium of Light.

Barton said after Monday's game that people were making a "mountain out of a molehill" over his apparent swipe at Agbonlahor. "The referee gave a free-kick and I was debating with him because I didn't think it was a free-kick. I thought it was a foul against me and I had hold of the ball. Their lad came across and barged me in the back. Nothing has gone on. People are making a mountain out of a molehill. Don't forget, with the referee and their assistants around and all the cameras, you know you cannot raise your hands these days, and at no stage have I done that."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/nov/05/newcastleunited-astonvilla

If this is true and Villa do make a complaint, i hope the book is thrown at Barton. Preferably at his head. Repeatedly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Hehe good thread title... love the 'no one surprised' bit :)

As for Barton, by all accounts he's a c*nt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Indeed. Hope he gets a ban for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Barton + incident = horse + carriage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Yep Joey Barton is truly a poster child for the ASBO generation. Hate to bring up his personal history but seeing as his Bro is in prison for a racist murder you would think he'd have a bit of cop on at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

In other news: the Pope is still a Catholic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If it's true its time to impose a year long ban, maybe the rest of the season. If not, i still think he should be banned for just being him, it's just i've no excuse to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

He voted McCain also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sweet Jesus, what a spaz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yep Joey Barton is truly a poster child for the ASBO generation.

didnt you offer to fight me at the five lamps not so long ago?

if joey barton is the poster child for the asbo generation, i presume his poster is all over your wall?

joey barton most certainly has serious isues, no doubt about it, but he has served his time.

as for the incident, have Villa said anything in regards to it? or is it just tabloid stories at the minute?.......yea thought so.

people are out to get joey barton for any little thing at the moment, i really doubt there is anything to it tbh.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    didnt you offer to fight me at the five lamps not so long ago?

No this pacifist did no such thing, wtf is the five lamps?

if joey barton is the poster child for the asbo generation, i presume his poster is all over your wall?

Oh you burned me on that one:pac:

• Advertisement

AVFC Club Statement:
    Aston Villa will not be making a complaint to the FA regarding any incident relating to Monday night's Barclays Premier League game at Newcastle.

Interesting, guess i was completely in the wrong. Wonder how that meeting went along today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Interesting, guess i was completely in the wrong. Wonder how that meeting went along today.

Problem is, the tone of yourself and others, had the chap tried and convicted already, on this basis of tabloid rags, and Barton's brother.

I am aware that Barton's reputation will proceed him, but that is no excuse for people labeling someone a racist before any facts or evidence have been published. I am shocked this story ran in today's papers given the fact that Aston Villa and Gabriel Agbonlahor hadn't made a statement or complaint on the matter. The media need to be more responsible and I wouldn't be surprised if legal action was taken against some of the papers.

TBH, I am surprised this thread was allowed run this course and wasn't locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm actually suprised Barton held his temper and didn't punch Agbon after that cheeky smile.

The Guardian is not a 'tabloid rag' at no point have i quoted or mentioned any tabloid, yet you persue in accusations of i falling for tabloid hype. The story quoted did not call him a racist, the language i used in this thread fitted the theme; notice use of word 'alleged' in the title.

Seemingly Villa decided not to take any further action as it would not be possible to prove 100% that he uttered the comments. This is after Villa consulted Lawyers. Read from that what you will.

Joey Barton is an innocent man for now, i seriously doubt it will be long until more trouble brews up with him involved, called me prejudiced but the man is an odious individual.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has revealed the club will be speaking to the Football Association after it was alleged Newcastle's Joey Barton racially abused Gabriel Agbonlahor.

The FA confirmed on Tuesday that Barton would not face any punishment after he appeared to push the Villa striker in the face during Monday's Premier League clash at St James' Park.

But reports have since surfaced of an alleged racist comment being made by the Newcastle midfielder in the same incident during the Magpies' 2-0 victory.

O'Neill insisted Agbonlahor does not wish to pursue the matter but confirmed Villa will talk to the FA and are considering whether to take any action, although the FA can act even if no complaint is lodged.

"Gaby doesn't want to talk about it and he doesn't want to press charges," O'Neill said.

"That's what he said to me yesterday and he reiterated that this morning.

"I've just heard, regardless of what Gaby does or doesn't say, the FA would like to hear what sort of comments we have to make on an official basis.

"That's fine, if we have a couple of days to have a look at things, then that's exactly what we'll do.

"I've just been told that we have a week to make some sort of decision about that and that's fine. We'll have a look at it and we'll see."

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has revealed the club will be speaking to the Football Association after it was alleged Newcastle's Joey Barton racially abused Gabriel Agbonlahor.

The FA confirmed on Tuesday that Barton would not face any punishment after he appeared to push the Villa striker in the face during Monday's Premier League clash at St James' Park.

But reports have since surfaced of an alleged racist comment being made by the Newcastle midfielder in the same incident during the Magpies' 2-0 victory.

O'Neill insisted Agbonlahor does not wish to pursue the matter but confirmed Villa will talk to the FA and are considering whether to take any action, although the FA can act even if no complaint is lodged.

"Gaby doesn't want to talk about it and he doesn't want to press charges," O'Neill said.

"I've just heard, regardless of what Gaby does or doesn't say, the FA would like to hear what sort of comments we have to make on an official basis.

"That's fine, if we have a couple of days to have a look at things, then that's exactly what we'll do.

"I've just been told that we have a week to make some sort of decision about that and that's fine. We'll have a look at it and we'll see."

So Villa, and more specifically Agbonlahor, won't pursue this further but the FA will continue to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

So Villa, and more specifically Agbonlahor, won't pursue this further but the FA will continue to investigate.

Poor show from Villa and Agbonlahor then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Poor show from Villa and Agbonlahor then.

What? Why? They've obviously looked at it and decided it's too difficult to prove, if it did happen at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

What? Why? They've obviously looked at it and decided it's too difficult to prove, if it did happen at all.

Well if nothing happened, then come out and say nothing happened instead of Gaby doesn't want to talk about it and he doesn't want to press charges,"

If it did happen then I think Villa and Gaby have a duty to pursue it, would you not agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why didnt they look and decide it was too difficult to prove or it didnt happen before moanung to the press with another joey barton story? Best to wait till after the story breaks .

Smacks of a more severe (and malicious) version of the Jose Mourinho smoke and daggers trick to take the attention off a bad result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL Yea Villa answered the questions asked by Jouranalists to take away from loosing seriously like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Villain wrote: »
    LOL Yea Villa answered the questions asked by Jouranalists to take away from loosing seriously like?

The journalists asked if joey Barton racially abused agbonlahor on the off chance?

This will pass...but it's only a matter of time before Barton is up to his old tricks again and yous will all comment how the thing with Agbonlahor was a warning sign.

£5.5m!!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Top player though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

top top as jamie would say

From skysports.com
    No FA action for Barton

FA close case on Barton after Villa fail to lodge complaint

By Richard Bailey Last updated: 5th November 2008

The Football Association has confirmed that Newcastle United midfielder Joey Barton will not face any action over alleged racist comments towards Gabriel Agbonlahor.

Barton was alleged to have made racial comments as the pair squared up to each other in Newcastle's 2-0 win over Villa on Monday but Agbonlahor was adamant that he did not want to take the matter further.

The FA declared that they contacted Villa about the matter and the club had no complaint to make over the incident.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill had earlier reiterated his striker's wishes and added that the club would look to help the FA if they wished to investigate the matter further.

He said: "Gaby doesn't want to talk about it and he doesn't want to press charges.

"That's what he said to me yesterday and he re-iterated that this morning. I've just heard, regardless of what Gaby does or doesn't say the FA would like to hear what sort of comments we have to make on an official basis."

It has since been made clear that Villa have not lodged any complaint and due to this fact the FA has released a statement declaring the matter closed.

It read: "The FA wrote to Aston Villa this morning to ask for any information the club could provide regarding allegations reported in today's media of remarks made by Joey Barton to Gabriel Agbonlahor during Villa's match against Newcastle on Monday.

"The club has responded to inform us that they have no complaints to make. On this basis, the FA will not be pursuing this matter."

No story here, close thread imo

so, Barton did nothing wrong, yet everytime in future his name is brought up, these allegations will come hand in hand with it.

its a ****ing disgrace to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh he probably did say something racist in fairness.........

*walks off whistling*

so, Barton did nothing wrong, yet everytime in future his name is brought up, these allegations will come hand in hand with it.

its a ****ing disgrace to be honest.
    Listen, can you hear that? Way off in the distance? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for innocent L'il Joey :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He's a convinct, so rightly or wrongly his name is now tarred badly. I guess there is conseuqences to beating the sh1t out of people and been convincted.

the consequences to him beating the ****e out of whoever was to spend time in prison and to reduce future income by reducing his chances of picking up lucrative work during and after his playing career.

being falsely branded a racist is not a consequence to wat he did.

its a ****e cheap shot by the gutter press and Aston Villa (if they did put it out there, which they must have)

its a ****e cheap shot by Villa & the gutter press.

Sorry can you show me where Villa have complained to the FA or where Villa or Gabby have said he made racist remarks?

Sorry can you show me where Villa have complained to the FA or where Villa or Gabby have said he made racist remarks?

they havent accused him directly, but they made the water nice and murky with ****e like this;

No-where does MON make any accusations in that, as usual when it comes to Villa your trying to throw mud that doesn't exist.

I would have thought you would have got over us not selling Barry to you by now considering how well Alonso has been doing, ah well.

I would have thought you would have got over us not selling Barry to you by now considering how well Alonso has been doing, ah well.

I am 100% over it. At the time i said the best thing that could happen would be us not to get ripped off and Alonso to regain his form, thats wat happened. Happy days.

I am approaching this as a neutral, you are not. i think Villa are acting poorly-very poorly tbh. The angelic view you and other villa fans have of them and MON is laughable.

• Advertisement

I am 100% over it. At the time i said the best thing that could happen would be us not to get ripped off and Alonso to regain his form, thats wat happened. Happy days.

I am approaching this as a neutral, you are not. i think Villa are acting poorly-very poorly tbh. The angelic view you and other villa fans have of them and MON is laughable.
    lol he hasn't said anything that in any way accused Barton of anything, as for you being a neutral when it comes to Villa, I've been around a little while you know and as for having an angelic view of MON, my views on MON are nothing compared to the love affair you have Rafa :D

at least Rafa has done something to earn my love ;)

plus, i have admitted numerous times faults with both Liverpool and Rafa-if this summer thought me anything its that, hell hath no fury like pissed off Villa fans if you question anything about anyone involved in their club, from the owner to MD to manager.

MON has done plenty to earn mine.

Well in this case you haven't showed how Villa or MON have doen anything wrong?

despite days of press speculation that Joey Barton has racially abused Agbonlahor, they have never denied it, they have released a statement saying they will be looking over things before going to the FA. After all the medias stories they have refered to an "incident" that Agbonlahor did not wanna press charges on.

despite days of press speculation that Joey Barton has racially abused Agbonlahor, they have never denied it, they have released a statement saying they will be looking over things before going to the FA. After all the medias stories they have refered to an "incident" that Agbonlahor did not wanna press charges on.
    Exactly so where have they made an accusation, they have said they would look at it and they have and they have told the FA they won't be making any complaint?

I would bet my house if this was any other team in the league you wouldn't be posting about it. Your too predictable Alan.

• Advertisement

in fact, i have posted my feelings and the small amount of sympathy i feel for Joey Barton before this thread arrived. the bloke deserves to be left alone tbh

in fact, i have posted my feelings and the small amount of sympathy i feel for Joey Barton before this thread arrived. the bloke deserves to be left alone tbh
    Well thats open to people's opinion, some feel a jail sentence been served means he has paid for his crime, others feel he got away lightly and have no respect for him. I don't have an issue with either opinion.

I do have an issue with people trying to bash Villa and MON when they have done nothing wrong.

I have no issue with people hating Joey Barton, not too fond of him myself.

but branding someone a racist for no reason is not excusable whether or not you feel he got away lightly with his jail sentence or not.

whether you like it or not, villa have accomadated the myth with their ambiguous statement.

whether you like it or not, villa have accomadated the myth with their ambiguous statement.

In your opinion, I think their statement was very straight forward, but then my grasp on English might be a little different to others:D

grand, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

TBH if we see a court case (IE barton suing the Sun) we will know that Barton said F all and this is a case of trial by media. If we dont, the doubt will remain. In fairness the sun have gotten someone who lives next door to a lip readers cousin to "lip read"

NB before i get attacked for standing up for Barton i also think the lad is a scummer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

joey barton most certainly has serious isues, no doubt about it, but he has served his time.

as for the incident, have Villa said anything in regards to it? or is it just tabloid stories at the minute?.......yea thought so.

people are out to get joey barton for any little thing at the moment, i really doubt there is anything to it tbh.

+1
    didnt look like there was much in it, but everyone wants to get in on the kicking joey barton is getting (may be deserved but making stuff up is harsh)

article-0-025B7859000005DC-758_468x490.jpg
    Gabriel Agbonlahor has decided against making an official complaint against Joey Barton over the Newcastle midfielder's alleged racist taunts.

The England Under 21 striker was asked twice by manager Martin O'Neill whether he wanted to pursue the matter further but on the eve of Villa's UEFA Cup trip to Slavia Prague he chose not to follow it up formally.

It had been suggested Barton mouthed obscenities at Agbonlahor during Newcastle's 2-0 victory over Villa on Monday. O'Neill, no stranger to prejudice in his public life as Celtic manager, had been keen to take up the matter[...]Barton was defended yesterday by his agent, Willie Mackay, who said: 'It's a nonsense. Who do you think scored Newcastle's two goals on Monday night? It was a black lad (Obafemi Martins) and Joey celebrated with him. Are those the actions of someone who would get caught up in something like this?

'I think Martin O'Neill is peeved because his two England midfielders were made to look very ordinary by Joey on Monday night.'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1083413/Lippy-Joey-wont-face-race-case-Villa-star-Agbonlahor-calls-ONeill.html?ITO=1490

Its my reasoning Agbonlahor didn't pursue the complaint for want of a quiet life. Either that or Villas lawyers made clear unless its 100% provable in court then pursuing a complaint could take a lot of time and money.

Either way Barton has the benefit of doubt for now, but with his muppet agent McKay talking ****, i doubt this will be the last we hear of Barton. Villa v Newcastle at VP should be a good game, probably another hostile away atmosphere for Barton the poor lamb.

As I said a day or so ago, my main issue is how this was leaked to the press (in any other circumstance, the first you'd of heard of it was when an official complaint was lodged), this whole trial by media culture we live in, and certain people's attitude that; if Barton's name is attached to the incident, then he is guilty already, irrespective of the lack of proof.

By no means do I get any pleasure in having to constantly defend Joey Barton, but to have every second he is on the pitch analysed under microscope is out of order. The hypocricies f fans and the media when it comes to how Barton is treated is laughable. If Barton flicks the lip of a chap who has done his utmost to wind him up, its considered 'assault'. If Wayne Rooney runs around a pitch looking to kick the legs off whoever he feels like, its considered 'passion'.

The chap does seem to be making an effort to turns things around, and he has served his debt to society in the eyes of th law. People should just let his football do the talking at the moment (something which he is doing very well), and if you have your doubts about him, then sit by and by all means pounce if he screws up. But to scream blue murder every time the press manufacture an incident, is pathetic and small time tbh.

Its my reasoning Agbonlahor didn't pursue the complaint for want of a quiet life. Either that or Villas lawyers made clear unless its 100% provable in court then pursuing a complaint could take a lot of time and money.

:rolleyes:

Cop on FFS and admit you got it wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement