Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of Meteor

• 05-11-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Kind of sounds like your own fault. You should of checked all these things before you departed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

If you knew then why would you have to ask these questions while you were roaming?! It is obvious if you dial a number abroad you are going to get charged for it.

Granted they should have known the rates but I feel your rant is a little over blown.

MMS messages abroad will ask you do you wish to retrieve them. If you don't you won't get charged. You can't just assume you won't be charged because you weren't elsewhere. You can't blame Meteor for that.

If you were charged unknown charges that is grounds to cancel your contract and since you've had other problems this is a great to have happened to you.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Just happened to be looking up their website and saw that they have changed their price plans for pre-pay customers. I'm on an older plan Anytime Xtra which is

Meteor to Meteor25c
    Text Messages (ROI)9c
    Text Messages(other countries)15c
    Meteor to Landline (ROI)25c
    Meteor to OtherNetworks (ROI)
    25c

Now they have Anytime Choice which is as follows;

Meteor to Meteor29c*
    Text Messages (ROI)11c
    Text Messages
    (other countries)15c
    Meteor to Landline (ROI)29c*Meteor to Other
    Networks (ROI)29c*
    *Minimum charge of 3c applies

But they also have Anytime International which is identical to my current price plan.

I think i'll stay with my current one though i'm not sure whether I would be entitled to an upgrade or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Sorry to hear of your trouble but it what I expect from Meteor. I think of it like this- I pay more for a service (vodafone isn't as dear as it used be:))that I know I will get with little to no problems with and even if I do I know there are people who know what they are doing at the other end of the phone(I'm on vodafone) But if I remember correctly your only on Meteor Bill Pay since Aug/Sept? I find Meteors CC bogstandard. Its what happens though unfortunately. I hate roaming tarriffs though for America- I used Cabbage for texts and checked emails through vodafone live which was still only 99c a day to my surprise. Hopefully you'll reach a level of satisfaction though from Meteor... Let us know about any updates you get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I had similiar problems with Meteor before after roaming. They couldn't tell me what half the charges were on my account and after a couple of emails and calls back and forth they just refunded me. I'm still none the wiser but got my money back !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Random wrote: »
    I had similiar problems with Meteor before after roaming. They couldn't tell me what half the charges were on my account and after a couple of emails and calls back and forth they just refunded me. I'm still none the wiser but got my money back !

Your lucky so, I find Meteor very tight with refunds whether their wrong doings or not- then again all the networks have their own flaws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

O2 have fairly clear information on roaming charges on their website, when it works. Vodafone have the information, although it is not that well organised. Even Three make it possible to see what the charges are. Meteor tell you "For more information on roaming rates for XXX, please call 1905 free of charge", which of course isn't free of charge unless you are still at home. it is all very fine to ring up 1905 but there are various types of calls and data charges and you cannot easily get information on all the permutations. The ComReg should require that clear information on roaming charges be provided on the websites, but of course the regulator doesn't do a lot of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It went something along the lines of this at the end.

Me: tell me what you are charging me for.
    Them: we can't.
    Me: that's not good enough.
    Them: we'll refund you then.

That's the summary of it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It can take 30 days for Meteor to be aware of any roaming charges. Meteor (or indeed, Vodafone, O2 etc) do not charge you when you're abroad. The roaming network does and they send that information to your own network. Normally it's within a week, but last time I was in the States in November, I got some roaming calls on my December bill even though I had been back on November 11th, and my billing date was the 25th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

chrislad wrote: »
    It can take 30 days for Meteor to be aware of any roaming charges. Meteor (or indeed, Vodafone, O2 etc) do not charge you when you're abroad. The roaming network does and they send that information to your own network. Normally it's within a week, but last time I was in the States in November, I got some roaming calls on my December bill even though I had been back on November 11th, and my billing date was the 25th.

That's partly true. The price is broken in two; one part for the roaming network, and the other part for the network you're with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Rsaeire wrote: »
    That's partly true. The price is broken in two; one part for the roaming network, and the other part for the network you're with.

Customer facing staff, and indeed call centre staff, will only see the one price. They see a total charge for the call. They don't see that Company A got such and such and Company B got the rest. Regardless of who gets the money, my original point and/or explanation of why Meteor might not possibly know how much he was charged still stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Stevek101 wrote: »
    If you knew then why would you have to ask these questions while you were roaming?! It is obvious if you dial a number abroad you are going to get charged for it.

Granted they should have known the rates but I feel your rant is a little over blown.

Overblown? Nonsense! I think the networks pulled of a fantastic trick: they have managed to condition consumers in unprecedented ways. To accept the unacceptable. Imagine yourself at the supermarket check-out, and every other item, the cashier goes, 'ooh, didn't know we had those...ooh, don't know what this is...'! And then you're told to pay one lump sum for the lot. Without proper itemisation! That's phone networks. Not always but often!

Here are some answers I got in recent weeks instore and via ph-customer care:
    '5 cent per mb' - when asking o2 what the web tariffs are when you exceed 50mb in 24 hrs speakeasy...another answer to the same question: 'you can't'...!!!??? Errh?

'o2 wap AP doesn't work for use of phone as modem'...it does! Same guy who said that, 2 minutes later, 'what do you mean by AP?'!

Then there's the bonus credit and they all usually forget to point out that you need to top up before they'll apply the monthly credit...

It's early, and I'm tired, but there are worse examples of the rubbish we're made to put up with!
    Banks have been rapped in the past for posting their charges in braille sellotaped to the bottom of their fake flower pots... Networks don't have flowerpots. They post their tariffs at the bottom of a deep deep barrell filled with water, and they give you a box of matches find them.
    The rant by the op is called for. If you don't think so, you've been brainwashed into a sheep! Staffing and competence levels are pure sh*te, and I apologise to the good folks working in the industry! There are good folks working in shops and in the call centres, but the majority? Wtf... It usually takes a medical degree to be that incompetent :P

chrislad wrote: »
    Customer facing staff, and indeed call centre staff, will only see the one price. They see a total charge for the call. They don't see that Company A got such and such and Company B got the rest. Regardless of who gets the money, my original point and/or explanation of why Meteor might not possibly know how much he was charged still stands.

I understand your point, however, I feel your comment stating "Meteor (or indeed, Vodafone, O2 etc) do not charge you when you're abroad." is very misleading. It pushes the onus of which network is responsible for the charges to the roaming network, when both networks are responsible for charging the customer. I do agree though that it can sometimes take time for these charges to appear on your bill, and is not uncommon, in certain instances, for roaming charges to appear on a customer's bill up to 3 months after the calls were initially made. This in itself is due to the roaming network, but can be lessened if the customer's network resolves this delay with the roaming network.

OP, I understand your main point about misinformation, and I agree with that there should be consistency within customer care; especially since they should all be singing from the same hymn sheet. There is nothing worse than calling the customer care, of any company, and being given a different answer to the same question 2 or even 3 times from different representatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

ever since eircom took them over their service has been slowly disintegrating. Their only going to get worse too

Correct. It's not a nice situation to be in and honestly, they're not charging you 3 times for the same calls, it can sometimes just take a lot of time. The network you're with is at the mercy of the roaming network in waiting for all your call details to be sent. Your network could, however, ensure this doesn't happen by basically sorting out the roaming network and advising them that 3 months is too long. Whether this would happen is anyone's guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

ever since eircom took them over their service has been slowly disintegrating. Their only going to get worse too

It could indeed, for example, do I smell this name-change on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

It could indeed, for example, do I smell this name-change on the way?

well they already have eircom mobile
    but if they change meteor's name ...........
    major business loss

Advertisement