Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i Lazy when it comes to housework??

Options
  • 05-11-2008 5:07pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well ladies.. myself the the OH are having a bit of a disagreement when it comes to household duties. We've been living together for 3 years but the last couple of months she keeps saying I dont do my fair share, where as I think I do too much!!!

Here's what I do:
    empty and fill the dishwasher (including her dishes-she puts them in the :eek:)

Hoover and wash the floors (3 bed house mostly carpet)

sort all the clothes once washed and dried (she does washing and drying-> really tough job :eek:)

Now she does:
    Cleaning with bleach etc as it makes me very chesty

Washes clothes and drys them not that much effort is required to put them in the washing machine and into dryer!)

For actual evening dinners she would make it as she would be a very healthy eater where as I'm a human bin :D

She puts away the shopping as she has a "system" which make sit impossible for me to find all the unhealthy stuff :D

Your opinions please??
    And of course I do all the general DIY stuff as I'm the man!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Who cleans the cooker, the fridge, the toilet, the rest of the bathroom, the kitchen counter tops, the windows ?

Who dusts ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Who cleans the cooker, the fridge, the toilet, the rest of the bathroom, the kitchen counter tops, the windows ?

Who dusts ?

I would wipe it down using a wet cloth but she would actually us e acleanign product on it,

I do the windows just the outsides though

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Your just not appreciated , hold back on the other .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Far from lazy, seems like you do more than your share!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Ok this is how it looks to me:

HER ..........................................YOU
    Puts away food/Cooks ..................Empty/fill dishwasher (more work for her)
    Empty/fill washing machine/dryer.....Sort clothes (about equal - ironing??)
    General dusting/cleaning w/ bleach..General dusting/cleaning w/out (equal)
    ?? Anything else..........................Hoover & wash floors
    ???............................................DIY
    Inside of windows?.......................Outside of windows

So...it looks like you do a bit more than her...although I would say that if she's also planning the meals, then that's a fair job as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

time to use a diary to keep track of how much time each of you spend doing house work in a week. Both of yous calculate and compare at the end of the week.

If at this point you do more then her it is time to kick her to the curb**

**sorry was caught up in PI mentality

So everything she does it either her fault for being fussy or only a ridiculous simple job job, while your manly loading of the dishwasher and knicker sorting is rocket science. MMhhmm k.
    Your problem isn't cleaning.

There is giving something a 'wipe' and then there is cleaning it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

taconnol wrote: »
    Ok this is how it looks to me:

HER ..........................................YOU
    Puts away food/Cooks ..................Empty/fill dishwasher (more work for her)
    Empty/fill washing machine/dryer.....Sort clothes (about equal - ironing??)
    General dusting/cleaning w/ bleach..General dusting/cleaning w/out (equal)
    ?? Anything else..........................Hoover & wash floors
    ???............................................DIY
    Inside of windows?.......................Outside of windows

So...it looks like you do a bit more than her...although I would say that if she's also planning the meals, then that's a fair job as well.

I iron everything sorry should have added that, I don't trust anyone with my ironing, not even mammy when I lived at home!

Its not hard to cut up veg and its not she's doing a 3 course meal everyday, I would happily cook for myself but she believes in eating together.

I agree, I wipe it down after I use the counter but she would actually clean it with CIF.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Its not hard to cut up veg and its not she's doing a 3 course meal everyday, I would happily cook for myself but she believes in eating together.
    Er...there's more to cooking than chopping up veg. There's the planning, chopping and then, well, cooking.

Unless the two of you just have chopped veg for dinner every evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

hire a cleaner,they r going very cheap at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Its not hard to cut up veg and its not she's doing a 3 course meal everyday,

It's not hard to throw a few dishes into the dishwasher and take them out again either - about as easy as putting the clothes into the washing machine then into the dryer, no?

And, actually, if she does all the 'cleaning with bleach etc' that means she's solely responsible for the actual CLEANING (not wiping) of the kitchen, toilets and bathrooms, including mopping any of your non-carpeted floors.

I think you're about even on this one, tbh.

Er...there's more to cooking than chopping up veg. There's the planning, chopping and then, well, cooking.

Unless the two of you just have chopped veg for dinner every evening?

I love my greens :)

But she would say chop 2 carrots, an onion and a turnip, then stick it in some boiling water, but I do this too if she's not there and on the occasion that I decide to be healthy when she's not around :D

I love my greens :)

But she would say chop 2 carrots, an onion and a turnip, then stick it in some boiling water, but I do this too if she's not there and on the occasion that I decide to be healthy when she's not around :D

Honestly, I think you've pretty much minimised and belittled every piece of the housework she does. Initially, I would have said you did a bit more but I think part of the problem here is some attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

so what more does she want you to do?

what's her problem when the argument comes up?

Honestly, I think you've pretty much minimised and belittled every piece of the housework she does. Initially, I would have said you did a bit more but I think part of the problem here is some attitude.

I have no attitude at all! All I'm saying is that she thinks I don't do my fair share. I do quite a lot compared to some men I do know, who expect to be waited on hand and foot!

I was just trying to see what womens opinions were on what I was doing around the hoouse, I mean I have no problem cooking and washing my own clothes (which is something I would prefer) and even having to use bleach its not going to kill me just makes me cough.

*This thread is so not going the way I hoped, Maybe I should ahve posted in BGRH :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

*This thread is so not going the way I hoped, Maybe I should ahve posted in BGRH :D

Actually AH is probably a better place for it, no idea why it's in here tbh.

Moved from The Ladies Lounge

ntlbell wrote: »
    so what more does she want you to do?

what's her problem when the argument comes up?

I dont know I think she's just ranting :D She says I dont do enough so I say Ok i'll cook she says no I'm too unhealthy as in I dont have greens everyday!
    Yet when I say I'll cook for myself she says thats pointless.

I say I'll wash my own clothes and sort them and she can do the same to her and again its pointless!

I just want her to see I'm doing a lot and to stop nagging me!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I dont know I think she's just ranting :D She says I dont do enough so I say Ok i'll cook she says no I'm too unhealthy as in I dont have greens everyday!
    Yet when I say I'll cook for myself she says thats pointless.

I say I'll wash my own clothes and sort them and she can do the same to her and again its pointless!

I just want her to see I'm doing a lot and to stop nagging me!

Stop doing all the things you normally do to help.

Believe me she will notice everything you haven't done and realise just how much you do do.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tell me about it. God bless sudocream :(

Stop doing all the things you normally do to help.

Believe me she will notice everything you haven't done and realise just how much you do do.:D

Simple... But I think very very effective!

The arguments will probably lead to me posting in PI:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Now she does:
    Cleaning with bleach etc as it makes me very chesty!

- aw bless !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zaph wrote: »
    Actually AH is probably a better place for it, no idea why it's in here tbh.

Moved from The Ladies Lounge
    I was wondering why all the responces where so rational.

Burn the house down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Ah, people aren't saying what you want them to so the problem is obviously that you haven't asked the right people.

Of course.

On the other hand perhaps you're right, your OH does only silly lilttle unimportant jobs while you save the day by, you know, taking dishes out of a dishwasher.

Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Why don't you quit whinging and realise that she does loads too and stop looking for praise for doing things. She's not your mammy, she's not going to say "ahh, good boy, well, aren't you mammy's good little man" before whipping out a toy truck for you to play with.

You both need to see how much each other is doing, you shold both make a list and compare.

Neesa wrote: »
    Ah, people aren't saying what you want them to so the problem is obviously that you haven't asked the right people.

Of course.

On the other hand perhaps you're right, your OH does only silly lilttle unimportant jobs while you save the day by, you know, taking dishes out of a dishwasher.

Who knows?

Well if i didnt.. she'd have to eat off those freshly cleaned counter tops ;)
    Lighten up....

Why don't you quit whinging and realise that she does loads too and stop looking for praise for doing things. She's not your mammy, she's not going to say "ahh, good boy, well, aren't you mammy's good little man" before whipping out a toy truck for you to play with.

Have you not read my posts??

I'm not looking for praise, I'm looking for a way to make her realise I do my fair share as she seems to think I dont do enough and I'm at a loss to how to get her to see this bar stopping all household duties!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

And then there's Flut who'll write a bleedin' novel out of it.

Two quick questions OP. Who earns more money, you or her? And who has more free time in the house to do these menial tasks?

Advertisement