Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Fabia "bouncy" engine

Options
  • 05-11-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

How're ye

Friend of mine has a Skoda Fabia, 1.2 htp or something. Car is 04 with 70,000 odd miles on it. When idling the engine is very, kinda, bouncy. Makes the whole car shake kinda thing.

Any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

How're ye

Friend of mine has a Skoda Fabia, 1.2 htp or something. Car is 04 with 70,000 odd miles on it. When idling the engine is very, kinda, bouncy. Makes the whole car shake kinda thing.

Any idea's?

Engine or gearbox mounts? Can you rock the engine when the car is stationary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If it's the 1.2 then it's only got 3 cylinders rather than the more usual 4, and 4 cylinders are infinitely smoother than 3 cylinders.

I'm therefore not surprised if it vibrates some bit at idle(4 pots do it too but usually it's only through the pedals) and that passengers can feel the vibration a bit, however it shouldn't be as bad as you're saying, so that would suggest something is wrong. I know that if the EGR valve is faulty and it stays "closed" all the time then it makes the engine run very roughly at idle and would reduce the maximum power available, as EGR doesn't take place when the car is idling or when high power is required. If the EGR valve was stuck "open" the whole time then you'd have much higher emissions and you'd fail the NCT with it for the high idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

That's strainge. My car does the same thing except only when I engage first or reverse. My car is a 1.9 TDI Passat.

Does R.O.R and myself have the same issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I know that engine well and vibration is totally normal for it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

That's strainge. My car does the same thing except only when I engage first or reverse. My car is a 1.9 TDI Passat.

I have many issues, but I'd be surprised if we share a common one :p

My beautifuly balanced VTEC has no rocking issues - when I snapped the gearbox mounting by taking off a little too "spritedly" in a diesel Mondeo, the engine was acting like a childs swing (and sounding really, really rough - even for a diesel). Also had engine mountings go on an old Metro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Heh, meant to say Limerick-Man :D It's hard to remember these names without faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Heh, meant to say Limerick-Man :D It's hard to remember these names without faces!

Lol it belong to a friend of mine, seems to be a common problem. I heard it already i just didn't believe it. Sound out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Mine does it too.

I have double that mileage on mine so I've tended to blame it on that. I'll have to go apologise to it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭granadamad

definatly and engine mount,, picked up a petrol mondeo last night and the same thing, feels like the rear mount on mine

Advertisement