Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish alternative to Barack Obama?

Options
  • 05-11-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Just to get the ball rolling here!

Does anyone think in todays Irish politics we have someone or some party who can bring change to this country who's main care and ambition is the Irish people?

In my opinion our current government have done very little in satisfying their voters and have so far not lived up to their promises of reform.

The other parties are great at finding the faults but they lack the will to bring about change.

Of all the trouble in the country, House prices, Insurance, Tax, Fuel, Health Care, the Justice system, to name only a few, What has this Government doen to change any of this on a large scale? Every answer we get is "we're getting there", or " we've come a long way".

What other Party has convinced the Country that they can bring about change?

Is there not 1 person who can tackle the problems of this country or are we to wait and just sit back and watch as we see our lives get harder?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Shure Inda has Obama-esque charisma! It's like listening to Martin King himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Unfortunately I don't see anyone on the current politcal horizon that could do this.

I think the reason why Barack Obama has been so successful here is because he hasn't been corrupted by the politcal class of people, he hasn't experienced the wealth and patronage that comes with being part of the political establishment. It was only 8 years ago, that he couldn't attend the Democratic Convention when trying to book a ticket and a hotel room because his credit card company declined the transaction and he was all but broke.

We will get a similar candidate in Ireland at some stage, but he or she won't be part of the current political landscape, in fact I imagine they will be sucessful largely because of that...

If you think about it, now is the prime moment for someone to set up a new political party in Ireland. With the PD's dissembled and on their way to the political graveyard, and with the sheer amount of discontent out there with the government, not because cutbacks are necessary but because again and again, they are taking the soft options, bowing to vested interests and not addressing the root causes of our problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭gunner_twotone

Well said,

But instead of a Party coming along saying they will do wonders, We need one that will act!

Talk is cheap in Leinster House, we need a party who is the people, for the people and will bring change that will work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

I would like to.

But on what ticket, with whom?

An independent?

Am not part of the class system here ... I think the country has a long way to go before it can pay token lipservice to "outsiders" who can bring needed change.

Although saying that - there is a restlessness out there - witness the pensioners out marching - people start to want change from the grass roots.

wildsaffy wrote: »
    I would like to.

An independent?

Am not part of the class system here ... I think the country has a long way to go before it can pay token lipservice to "outsiders" who can bring needed change.

Although saying that - there is a restlessness out there - witness the pensioners out marching - people start to want change from the grass roots.

An Idependent would need alot of help!

To form a party, all must have the same common goals and interests and above all, they will value the Interests and qualities of the Irish People.

Take on one problem at a time. Set out each goal and how they can acheive it. If you stir the publics interest they will follow you, if the people follow you, you can acheive anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

there ain't nobody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Watched a bit of Leader's Questions earlier and I've got to say that I'm STUNNED at the pure rubbish that was spouted.

In the 5 minutes that I saw, Cowen was asked 3 straight questions and didn't answer one of them, instead spouting loosely-related pre-prepared snippets from reports that made the Government look slightly better than the answer to the question would have.

Only worthwhile comment of the 5 minutes was Eamon Gilmore referring to Obama's win and remarking on how it was great to see the level of hope and enthusiasm that could be brought about by a change of Government.

But - IMHO - that's precisely WHY we'll never see a "do-er" in an Irish Government; they'd all get too bored with the petty digs and point-scoring and inertial inability to make big decisions.

Nearly all our politicians have gone to college, have dealth with the higher class way of life since they were children.

What about the middle class?

We need someone from the middle class to help the middle class.

FF are high rollers, only looking after the Horse people, the Rich!

What about the normal 5 8's. Trying to make a living? What help do we get from the Country?

Then we have the scroungers! No one cares anymore, Its like the Government pitys the unemployed, is scared of the rich and always slams the middle class.

We need change people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I would like to.

An independent?

You see your into the first problem in Ireland, that we tend to think inwardly and look for a system to support us when we go to do something. If you were the person who was going to start a new political organisation in this country, you'd have to accept from the outset that you are creating your own ticket, that you set out what you want to achieve and you get a few good people who share your vision on board and you go at it.

The one thing that you would have to be able to do is inspire people. There is nobody operating on the political landscape in Ireland who has this gift and this is what this is, a gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Certainly in Britain 'David Cameron' is waiting in the wings with an almost Blair like confidence that Brown is sadly missing, Cameron is also a good speaker & communicator, he looks good, he's smart, & he's young.

Here in Ireland, I cant see anyone in Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, Labour or the Greens enthralling enough, or interesting enough to replace or threaten Brian Cowan's position as Taoiseach - which doesnt say much for the opposition.

Pat Rabbitte was pretty good I thought (even if he was Labour), Enda Kenny leaves me cold, almost like he has had a 'chrisma-ectomy' along the way, and who else is there? Dermot Ahern (NO thanks), Tom Kitt (FF)? Barry Andrews (FF)? Mary Harney ............ :rolleyes:

Cant think of anybody in the wings either!

• Advertisement

Well then someone new, Someone who is not spoilled by the ways of the Government!

Someone people will follow because that person follows the people!

Are we all just gonna sit back and accept the country is doomed? Can we not even try to make this a better place to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

boards should form a political party. seems to be hundres of users here who have the answer to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

What about Leo Varadkar?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i'll run if u vote for me. :p

boards should form a political party. seems to be hundres of users here who have the answer to everything.

I don't think we're united in our ideas though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,440 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If there was, and he ran for office, I'm not entirely convinced we'd elect him.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Well its a start!

We all agree on one thing so far, We all need change!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

An Irish alternative to Barack Obama? You should rephrase your question as Obama has done nothing yet only given promises, wait 6 months and see if he keeps his promises.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    An Irish alternative to Barack Obama? You should rephrase your question as Obama has done nothing yet only given promises, wait 6 months and see if he keeps his promises.

He's done far more than any politician over here so far!

He's got the interest of a nation and for all the right reasons!

Lol!!! I am getting well inspired ( - hides from Darragh29). ....

I think I am pretty inspired. I am not "owned" by any group. My father was / is a politician and it irks me to watch injustice - I think my partner is (once again) going to ban me from watching the news / politics because I burn his dinner......from pure distraction and shouting at the telly.... :D

But (a) is it worth it
    (b) is one prepared to pay the price
    (c) will the skeletons in my cupboard please get on board? lol (falling out
    of pubs singing the national anthem is sooo not a good look)

I think I would do it. Where to start etc etc.

• Advertisement

Lol!!! I am getting well inspired ( - hides from Darragh29). ....

I think I am pretty inspired. I am not "owned" by any group. My father was / is a politician and it irks me to watch injustice - I think my partner is (once again) going to ban me from watching the news / politics because I burn his dinner......from pure distraction and shouting at the telly.... :D

But (a) is it worth it
    (b) is one prepared to pay the price
    (c) will the skeletons in my cupboard please get on board? lol (falling out
    of pubs singing the national anthem is sooo not a good look)

I think I would do it. Where to start etc etc.

(d) is someone going to read my post and nobble me before I start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

no cos we'll never have 'leftwing' taoiseach

iv thought for months id love to go in and start something like the PDs from scratch, kick out all the wasters, and build it up as a young fresh new party for the people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Nearly all our politicians have gone to college, have dealth with the higher class way of life since they were children.
    :rolleyes: While I’ve not read the biographies of all TD’s, I would be very surprised if they were all from the “higher class”, whatever that is.
    We all need change!
    Indeed; bus drivers don't accept notes anymore.
    He's only just been elected FFS! Sure, he's got buckets of charisma (and I wish him all the best), but how about we wait and see what he actually DOES before we start clambering for an Irish version?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think any Irish politician would garner the reaction Obama has been getting and I think that's a good thing. It bothers me the way Americans fawn over their politicians. I much prefer the cautious, dare I say cynical, attitude that people in Ireland and Britain adopt towards them.

I remember it happening with Dubya too. He'd go to some rally to answer questions and you'd have some muppet spewing out compliments. "Mr President I think you are just an inspiration blah, blah, blah."

I don't like the way America places so much emphasis on personality politics. In Europe we've seen that tried in certain countries in the past and not go down too well. At all.

I think in Ireland we will always put policies before personalities and for me that's the way politics ought to be.

I think in Ireland we will always put policies before personalities and for me that's the way politics ought to be.
    rubbish, people have party allegiances and stick to them, regardless of policy etc. if there was an election tomorrow FF would still hold a huge share of the vote regardless of the state they've put the country in.
    and a lot of people wont vote for kenny cos of his creepy personality.

zuroph wrote: »
    rubbish, people have party allegiances and stick to them, regardless of policy etc. if there was an election tomorrow FF would still hold a huge share of the vote regardless of the state they've put the country in.
    and a lot of people wont vote for kenny cos of his creepy personality.

I dunno who I'd vote for, I don't trust any party to run this country

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

He's got the interest of a nation and for all the right reasons!

He was senator of Illinois before being elected for president explain what he has already done for the American people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

• Advertisement

marcsignal wrote: »
    dare i say it....he's got the lips.

Advertisement