Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The demise of the 1.9Tdi Volkswagen - E92 pleasing news

Options
  • 05-11-2008 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised this hasn't already been discussed, apologies if it has and I missed it.

You can no longer order the 1.9Tdi engine with your Golf or Passat.

MK VI Golf will be coming with either 1.6Tdi or 2.0Tdi, Passat 1.9Tdi is being replaced with the 2.0Tdi 110ps - lower emissions so my dealer expects pricing to possibly decrease.

Order book opens for the new Golf and Passat's next week according to my source.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can still specify this old stove in the doubtless superb Skoda Superb

Aga are rumoured to be buying the rights to the old nail too. They plan to chip it, and use it in spaceflights around the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Will still probably sound like a bag of spanners when ticking over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

R.O.R wrote: »
    I'm surprised this hasn't already been discussed, apologies if it has and I missed it.

You can no longer order the 1.9Tdi engine with your Golf or Passat.

MK VI Golf will be coming with either 1.6Tdi or 2.0Tdi, Passat 1.9Tdi is being replaced with the 2.0Tdi 110ps - lower emissions so my dealer expects pricing to possibly decrease.

Order book opens for the new Golf and Passat's next week according to my source.

I like the title:D!

The 1.9 TDI is still available in the A3, Octavia, Polo(not here but in Europe), Sharan, Touran, Jetta, Leon, Altea, Altea XL, Roomster and Fabia though, and the facelifted Octavia will *still* be using this engine, as will the new Ibiza next year, not to mention the Superb.

I would love to tell people to buy a Superb, because of how much car you're getting for €26k, but that 1.9 TDI is holding me back.

But I'm delighted to hear that the Passat will at last be getting the 2.0 110 bhp to replace the antiquated 1.9 TDI, and I note the Seat Exeo will only have the CR engines too. Pity the base Exeo will have the ancient 1.6 though as the base petrol engine:(!

Now that VW import the cars themselves, is there any hope at all that they will bring in the forthcoming Bluemotion II Passat 2.0 TDI 110 bhp(with a best in class 128 g/km for CO2) to Ireland, considering they left out the outgoing 1.9 TDI Bluemotion here?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

New Holland have bought the rights to the engine afaik, well its soundtrack anyway!

And yes I know whats in the sig:pac:

EDIT: I love the title:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'd imagine the skoda's will have the 110 tdi with within a year.Is the 110 5 speed or 6 speed btw?? It was always goin to take a while to replace an engine thats in so many cars..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the skoda's will have the 110 tdi with within a year.Is the 110 5 speed or 6 speed btw?? It was always goin to take a while to replace an engine thats in so many cars..

Does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Why wouldnt it?? I imagine most people would prefer to have a car with a 6 speed 'box rather than a 5 speed gearbox. It will undoubtedly be a popular engine afterall..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

It has a 5 speed box, 110 bhp at 4200 rpm, 184 lb ft between 1,500 and 2,500 rpm, does 0-60 in 11.8 seconds(i.e. very slowly), averages 51.4 mpg(similar to rivals), and CO2 is 143 g/km.

In other words, it will be in the same VRT band as the 1.9 TDI it replaces, and the same as the 2.0 TDI 140. The big benefit of the new engine obviously is the superior refinement.

In other news the common rail 2.0 TDI will soon be replacing the PD 2.0 TDI in the Jetta, while the 1.4 TSI 160 will be replacing the present 140 and 170 models in the Jetta and Mk 6 Golf too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ammm...was there something particularly wrong with it ?

I had one in its' 130 guise for 2 years in a 2004 Audi A4 and had no complaints about it.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ammm...was there something particularly wrong with it ?

I had one in its' 130 guise for 2 years in a 2004 Audi A4 and had no complaints about it.

Narrow power band thanks to 8 valves, very loud. They're the two main things. VAG insulate their cars very well so if there was a really quiet engine in there you wouldn't hear anything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Wheres GroupB?

The 1.9TDI sounded like driving a massey ferguson so great news that its slowly disappearing. Now in removing diesel full stop from our universe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Will still probably sound like a bag of spanners when ticking over :D

And what a bag of spanners it was. Good for 300k miles at minimum 50 mpg on average when looked after properly. In my opinion it'll go to the diesel engine walhalla and take it's rightfull place next to the old VW 1.6 diesel which was a fantastic engine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

next to the old VW 1.6 diesel which was a fantastic engine as well.

indeed

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I had this engine in 2 guises. First was in an '02 Caddy which I never had to carry anything in so it was fairly quick.

The second was in an '03 Golf (150+map) and that was plenty quick for me.

I liked it but I will be the first to admit it's past it's best before date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

peasant wrote: »

You mean I've spent a fortune on guitars and effects to try and recreate this sound when all I needed was a VW 1.6D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

caesar wrote: »
    New Holland have bought the rights to the engine afaik, well its soundtrack anyway!

I'm somewhat insulted at that. My new holland has a 7.5L straight six and sounds absolutely wonderful.

.. that video of the 1.6D starting brings back fond memories. It is actually quite a purposeful sounding engine. Wouldn't mind a MkI Golf with one. The guy needs to sort out his glowplugs or compression though.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

maidhc wrote: »
    I'm somewhat insulted at that. My new holland has a 7.5L straight six and sounds absolutely wonderful.

.. that video of the 1.6D starting brings back fond memories. It is actually quite a purposeful sounding engine. Wouldn't mind a MkI Golf with one. The guy needs to sort out his glowplugs or compression though.

Apologies maidhc, I knew I should have said Belarus. Any chance of you putting yours on youtube:D

Agreed that video brings back memories for me too. Back in the day(ok more like 6 years ago) my father still had his mk2 jetta. He still misses it.....I might buy a 16V GTI one for him someday :D

Anyway as far as the 1.9TDI goes its time for it to be phased out, not because there is anything wrong with it as such but more so that the technology has moved on. Its been on the go for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Dont know why they went to the bother of bringing out a 2.0 when all they had to do is add some valves and new injection to the 1.9 in the first place.

I mean .1 liter is enough to fill an egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I mean .1 liter is enough to fill an egg.

I think it was just time for a new design.

Again, the 1.9 TDI was a fantastic engine, and a benchmark when it came out in 1992 or so. But it was just a development of the 1.6D and compared to some engine from BMW and the Japs was well behind the game. And as they say all good things must come to an end.

Advertisement