Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

98 E200 Mercedes losing battery power.

Options
  • 05-11-2008 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Righto,

I've got a 1998 Mercedes Benz E200. 2L petrol, automatic. The problem I'm having is that the something seems to be killing the battery when its parked up. It's only really used at weekends and is parked up all week. The weekend before last it did a return trip from Dublin to Cork but last weekend when i started it struggled a bit before the engine turned over. I tried it today and it was dead as a doornail.

The battery is new (2 or 3 months old) and I'm certain that when its parked up nothing is left on in the car. I'm at a loss as to whats causing this?

I'm due to head away on Saturday and I know that if i jumpstart it and do a decent trip in it the battery will charge again but it seems as though unless i do a few hundred miles at weekends then this is constantly gonna happen.

Has anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

You say your battery is 2/3 months old did you have the same problems with the old battery. If not your new battery could be a dud.
    If you had the same problem your altenator could be faulty or there is some electrial drain from something that is not turning off even if it is switched off on the dash e.g. heated windows. Do you have a phone charger plugged in all the time?.
    I think you can narrow down a problem by putting a volt meter on the battery which shows the drain, start pulling fuses to isolate the electrical device.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Check that the boot light isn't staying on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

pretty certain the new battery is ok, I bought a charger for it today so i'll see how that goes and how long it lasts. I think the alternator is ok as if i drive for about 2 hours straight then the battery seems fine afterwards.
    Nothing is plugged in or is switched on that i know of. I will give the meter and pulling fuses a try though.

I dont think th e boot light stays on.

Advertisement