Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch Control??

Options
  • 05-11-2008 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

I drive in to work in the morning and there is always a lot of traffic, as I am progressing along I almost always only use the clutch and brake. I.e. when the car in front is moving on a bit, I take my foot up from the clutch a little, get the biting point and then take my foot off the brake and go forward a little like this, keeping my foot on the clutch. The only time I ever take my foot off the clutch entirely and put my foot on the accelerator is when the car in front moves up at least 2 car lengths and I catch up.

I just wondered what the view on this would be in a test situation, is this viewed as coasting or is it just clutch control...?

I hope I am explaining this clearly, any help appreciated!
    N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wouldn't be coasting. Should be fine, unless the car is struggling to move forward on just the clutch. Is it a diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 RedzDrivingScho

I would advise you to set the gas (press the accelerator) when moving the car....IMOH not pressing the accelerator runs the risk of the car cutting out easier and also putiing extra strain on the clutch......true clutch control is the mixture of the clutch and accelerator......

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I would advise you to set the gas (press the accelerator) when moving the car....IMOH not pressing the accelerator runs the risk of the car cutting out easier and also putiing extra strain on the clutch......true clutch control is the mixture of the clutch and accelerator......

Hope that helps
    Would have thought this also. They can be quite strick on little things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It depends on a lot of things, like i said, if the car struggles in any way when doing this then i'd advise against it. But in the case of most diesels for example, with their low rev power, just releasing the clutch would be more than enough to move the car a short distance in traffic.
    If say for example the car struggles to move on the clutch alone, i'd strongly advise using the accelerator as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Knix

The car is petrol, it's a 1.6L Peugot and the dual carriage way I travel on is fairly flat so when I am just using the clutch & brake it's not struggling. When it gets to a slightly hilly bit I use the accelerator a little and then come off the clutch entirely if the traffic is moving forward a little quicker.

So, is it ok to balance on accelerator & clutch then? I thought this would definitely be coasting and seen as more dangerous than brake & clutch as you are not covering your brake...? It's just something I don't want to marked for over and over again if I am tested in a place/time with built up traffic.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Its very hard to coast in first or reverse gears, its instead called good clutch control!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

timmywex wrote: »
    Its very hard to coast in first or reverse gears

Its impossible to coast in any gear....given that coasting is when you are out of gear ;)

Advertisement