Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever had an accident?

• 05-11-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Just curious to know what type of accidents any bikers out there have had. Most people I talk to have been in one or two minor accidents, and as a new biker I'd to be aware of what to look out for....just a few of the more unusual type of things that could go wrong that I might not be aware of.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

The best rule to go by while on a bike is, expect the unexpected, and treat everyone and everything as if it's out to kill you!!

Sounds a bit depressing, but it works :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭gipi

And assume that nobody's looking out for you, so make yourself as big and as visible as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

gipi wrote: »
    And assume that nobody's looking out for you, so make yourself as big and as visible as possible!

this is true, im not calling myself a biker but i did have a 50cc scooter before a car :rolleyes: but the same rules of the road apply, what i always did even during the day was kept my lights on!! seriously you wouldnt believe how much they help cos its scary sometimes how much you could simply not notice a bike on the roads.

i had an accident actually on that scooter about 5 years ago, was driving along doing the speedlimit (could only go 30mph) :D and a car turned off the main road to go right and went straight into me and my friend who was a pilon passenger... i went head first into the windscreen (always wear a helmet!!) and my friend got thrown onto a kerb.

took 4years to settle as i had genunine injurys including my back and knee but the driver kept making the defence that i had no lights on (later proved i did!)

Keep lights on and keep alert and keep thinking other drivers are idiots! best advice i can give you :) just dont get too paranoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nc13

I hit a car that pulled out suddenly, I went head first over the car and landed badly. I dislocated my knee caps and was in plaster up to my nads for 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Keep lights on and keep alert and keep thinking other drivers are idiots! best advice i can give you :) just dont get too paranoid!

Totally disagree with the last bit there. Get paranoid, get very paranoid. Although everyone may not be out to get you, it's safer to assume that they are and act accordingly.
    My worst accident was an artic driving over me when I was stopped at a set of lights. Couple of broken bones, I'd be dead if I hadn't jumped off the bike just before impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Totally disagree with the last bit there. Get paranoid, get very paranoid. Although everyone may not be out to get you, it's safer to assume that they are and act accordingly.
    My worst accident was an artic driving over me when I was stopped at a set of lights. Couple of broken bones, I'd be dead if I hadn't jumped off the bike just before impact.

it was a joke (a bad one i know):p obviously get paranoid but dont be like crazy nervous you'l get a heart attack! ;) man i hate explaining my jokes!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

When your paranoid all the time you get used to it, no reason to be nervous.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Bryn wrote: »
    The best rule to go by while on a bike is, expect the unexpected, and treat everyone and everything as if it's out to kill you!!

I totally agree with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

And don't assume riding the bus lanes makes you safe. You can never assume your safe.

Last week had a guy in stopped traffic pull out in front of me in the bus lane. So he's 5 kph at best and now occupying the lane and I'm about 40kph. Add some raining hailstones and next thing you know I have to take to the pavement (driveway ramp at same spot so no mounting kerbs or anything). Was a case of "What the....rear locks up...back under control and exit stage left"

A biker who was behind, chased the car to the lights ahead and asked for an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Last week had a guy in stopped traffic pull out in front of me in the bus lane. So he's 5 kph at best and now occupying the lane and I'm about 40kph. Add some raining hailstones and next thing you know I have to take to the pavement (driveway ramp at same spot so no mounting kerbs or anything). Was a case of "What the....rear locks up...back under control and exit stage left"
    [/I].

I wonder where the liability lies in a case like this. By the letter of the law, neither of you should be in the bus lane. The cops turn a blind eye to bikers in the bus lane, thankfully. They shouldn't have to turn a blind eye: bus lanes should be for buses, taxis and bikers!

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, a similar thing happened to me. I was waiting for the lights to change and there was a dumper parked behind me. He obviously hadn't seen me as he proceeded to drive over my bike, only my screams alerted him to stop before much damage was done. The mad thing was that the traffic light was still red the whole time, so it was the last thing that I could have expected to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I wonder where the liability lies in a case like this. By the letter of the law, neither of you should be in the bus lane. The cops turn a blind eye to bikers in the bus lane, thankfully. They shouldn't have to turn a blind eye: bus lanes should be for buses, taxis and bikers!
    There was a court case last year I think (which I read about on this very forum) whereby a cager cut accross a biker who was travelling in the bus lane... Anyway, went to court and the judge decided that although the biker wasn't allowed to be in the bus lane, the cager was 100% at fault for changing lanes without checking mirrors thus causing the accident. And I agree 100% with that judge!

Anyway, back on topic, as Bryn said you must ride "hyper-defensively". If you assume the blonde b!tch in her 206cc is going to pull out right in front of you even though she can see you coming you'll be safe as the b!tch probably will pull out right in front of you!

Always be 100% focused on your riding. Don't let your mind wander about thinking about work or the girlfriend or anything like that. When you're on a bike, your life is at risk: FOCUS!

Keep a safe distance from the traffic in front of you and don't let people drive right up your back wheel (in an emergency you will outbrake any car!). Check your mirrors often and be aware of what's around you. Don't listen to music with earphones. Listen to your engine and the traffic around you.

Don't ride on slippery surfaces, especially in wet / icy conditions! Avoid diesel (which is everywhere!), white lines, man holes, loose gravel, road kill, etc.

Don't ride beyond your capabilities. Brake before the corner. If you panic in a fast turn your first reaction will be to brake (not lean more) and you'll lose the front and potentially end up on the wrong side of the road on left hand bends...

Understand counter-steering. On a bike you turn left to go right and vice versa. If you don't understand this and master it, you might have a nasty surprise if you try and take evasive action to avoid a car/pedestrian/dog...
    By that I mean, if a dog crosses the road coming from the left and you want to avoid it by going right, in a panic you might aim your handle bars to the right thus turning left and potentially hitting the dog! So understand counter-steering!

I could go on for ever... But you get my drift. Your life is at risk thus be careful!

Oh and I forgot, get lessons! The more the better! ;)

If you panic in a fast turn your first reaction will be to brake (not lean more) and you'll lose the front and potentially end up on the wrong side of the road on left hand bends...

Understand counter-steering. On a bike you turn left to go right and vice versa. If you don't understand this and master it, you might have a nasty surprise if you try and take evasive action to avoid a car/pedestrian/dog...

If someone brakes suddenly in front of you and you can't go on the outside because of oncoming traffic, what should you do in order to crash as safely as possible? In orders words, you know you're going to crash - what do you do?

Obviously you shouldn't get into this situation in the first place, but how do bikers professionally crash if you know what i mean...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Keep an eye on the road suface ahead and watch out for spillages from overloaded gravel trucks, as I found to my misfortune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Bryn wrote: »

110%. as for the original question. have had 2 minor scrapes on the bike and 1 major one that left me unable to walk for about months and leg pains for a further 2 years after that.

alls well now though thank christ :)

If someone brakes suddenly in front of you and you can't go on the outside because of oncoming traffic, what should you do in order to crash as safely as possible? In orders words, you know you're going to crash - what do you do?

Obviously you shouldn't get into this situation in the first place, but how do bikers professionally crash if you know what i mean...
    The only correct answer to your question is (and you said it yourself), don't get yourself into situations like this. Full stop.

You can't just say "just jump before you hit" or "put the bike on its side" as there are way too many parameters to take into consideration.

Just don't get close to the vehicle in front of you!

Oh and I never answered the original question... I've only had one road accident on two wheels. White van driver ran into me. Never saw it coming. Nothing I could have done...

Thankfully it was at very slow speed and there wasn't too much damage done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I came off my bandit about a week into my bike ownership. I hadn't practised my slow stuff properly and I was blissfully ignorant of how worn my steering bearings were (and that the steering was in fact, dire).

Use common sense.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take the bike out for a spin- within 5 minutes I had 3 stupid twat tailgaters later. I took the hint and headed for home.

FORDS AND TOYOTAS. WATCH'EM!!!! If their drivers cared about motoring one bit, they wouldn't have bought them. Call it a character reference!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I never had an accident, as Ive never had a motorbike, but my dad did so I will share his with you:

He was in his 20's and out with his brother on the back. Now we dont know much about the circumstances before the accident as my father has never remembered much of it, but they were probably going too fast or something like that.

Anyway, he lost control of the bike and hit a wall. He remembers skidding along the wall vaguely. He then hit a post or tree of some kind. My uncle had minor injuries, but my father was unconscious for 3 days in hospital. Was very scary for my gran.

The funny part of the story is that a very old nun who was driving along the road saw what happened, and got out to help, bless her. It was a quiet road so God only knows how long he would have been lying there if it wasnt for her.

However, the silly old dear switched off all lights on her car when turning off the ignition, and it was creamed by a truck!!

But not one major casualty. A broken arm was the extent of my dads real injuries!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

1982 hit a car head on and technically wrote off a Triumph 200 cub. six months later did the same again. Third parties at fault both cases.

1987 hit a pot hole came off a BSA 500 sued Dublin gas contractors for botched roadworks.

2008 hit a car TPAF again. So far never had a claim against me touch wood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

decided to park the bike upside in a ditch on top of me one night a few years back. Seen car on my side and woke up not knowing where i was lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

had a slide on black ice,horrible as you've no idea its coming.

had someone fling open the passenger door of a car as i filtered through traffic,i creamed the door out of it and ended up in a heap.

had a car rear end me as i stopped at a t junction in slushy conditions. cager braked too late and ABS didn't kick in cause of the road conditions.

had a female cager drive into the side of me as i filtered past a junction box. luckily i was going slow but the bike got wedged underneath the car in front. she said she never seen me as she darted for the empty junction box(i'd lights on and a hi-vis on!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I've not had an accident yet but have only been riding close on two months.

One thing I will say - watch out for and avoid manhole covers. They have no grip, I've slipped on a few but havent ever fallen thankfully.

Please look out for them and don't ride over them, especially under braking or leaning in a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

like peanut i dont have a bike yet but my uncle had a bad accident a few years ago on a goldwing, he brought it to galway to get the engine rebuilt i think and after he collected it he was stoppin at a junction and a car hit the back of him and sent him into the back of another car and he landed infront of the second car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

God this makes me feel old, the above reference to manhole covers reminded me; about 17 years about I took a slide on some leaves on a manhole cover as I was taking a corner on a RD125 my first bike. Result was a compound facture of my tib and fib and six weekes in hospital and lots of metal work in my leg.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive had 2 accidents, 1 which resulted in my bike being written off. Fortunately i was ok on both accounts.

First accident, a female learner driver changed lane without checking her mirror and knocked me over. Some cosmetic damage to the bike.

Second accident was practically a head on on a junction. Male learner driver broke a light to turn right (I was travelling straight) but drove in the wrong lane to try cut the corner. I didnt stand a chance.... It was as if I was invisible to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭gipi

I wrote off a bike (many years ago) when a car coming towards me turned right and didn't see me (main road Phoenix Park, headlight on.....hmmm!). I crashed into her passenger door, thankfully didn't continue over the car but fell to the side instead (breaking my fall with my left hand and arm!).

Bike written off, broken wrist & finger and elbow damage for me, driver didn't make the train she was racing to catch!

I've also had a couple of slips on ice, scary but no harm done.

My father was knocked off his Honda 50 - by a pedestrian! He was filtering and the pedestrian was running towards a bus stop, ran between the cars which had stopped and knocked him off the bike. He broke his left wrist and right thumb - which make life very awkward for many weeks! Watch out for those darned pedestrians!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

Got side swiped by a taxi when i had my RS125. He tried to say i ran a red light but there was a cop car behind me so i got a new bike and he got a nice day in court. Was out of action for 4 months with a busted leg and 3 broken ribs.

Advertisement