Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever had an accident?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Red Hornet wrote: »
    Got side swiped by a taxi when i had my RS125. He tried to say i ran a red light but there was a cop car behind me so i got a new bike and he got a nice day in court. Was out of action for 4 months with a busted leg and 3 broken ribs.
    Ouch... Bad one Hornet... :(

"Some" Taxi drivers can be very careless indeed! "Most" of them are liars!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Slip this morning on black ice going through roundabout in Phoenix Park. Got lucky was going very slow and just had a few scratches and bruises. Might leave bike at home tomorrow if there's another bad frost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Half dropped the bike the other day going into work - had another biker poke his wheel out from in front of a car without looking while I was filtering on the outside. The bike went down but I was able to keep my footing. I'd like to keep my accident stories to just that if I can help it.

Yeah be careful out there with all the ice lads! Feet out - super slow - and not harsh braking/accelerating in these conditions! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Yeah be careful out there with all the ice lads! Feet out - super slow - and not harsh braking/accelerating in these conditions! ;)

Dont ever ride with your feet out, it changes the centre of balance on the bike. Also if you do come off at anything over 15mhp, you run the risk of breaking your ankles. Feet on the pegs at all times. It also makes it easier to control a rear slide.

I my-self had have a couple of small drops when I first got a bike, then one big one 10 months into riding. I wrote of a 125 Virago into the back of a Ford Focus. Took 3 years for the clame to go through. I then had no incedents till my second Duc. First one was a month after I got it in the UK, on the way to donnington I got rearended by a bloke on a R1 who didn't know how to ride as part of a group. (he had joind our 12 strong group at a roundabout with a mate) Clearly not knowing the buddy system he was up on the inside a lot and not giving proper distances for the very heavy rain we where in. Then at a junction he stopped behind me an then wacked open the trottle into the back of me.

Sadly last one was in the carpark in work. Gets an auful lot of gravel that I didn't notice had gotten really bad and I spun out the back on it at about 3mph :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Nearly had a bad one last night...nearly...

I was coming down a main road at about 50mph and a I see a taxi coming to a junction ahead to pull out. He stops where he was supposed to so I didn't slow down but as I get nearer he just pulls out and turns toward me to go in the oppoosite direction to me on the main road. I jam on the brakes but then the guy stopped while out on the road as if he had just noticed me!!!

My heart was jumping out of me like and I was just thinking for that second that I'd be hittng his car door and falling pretty badly but as it turned out he had stopped just enough out on the road for me to get by...

Scary though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've had a few slides due to potholes, black ice, wet leaves & gravel but I was going very slow at the time.

And a few years ago and car tried overtaking me during a left hand turn on a road only wide enough for one vehicle. Giving the choice of hitting the car or the path, I chose the path. Somehow I managed to stay upright.

I was almost killed last week at the traffic lights on the clonsilla road beside the train station. I was stopped at the T-junction with the intention of turning right. I got a green light and started to very slowly accelerate due to some bike issues. I'd gotten about 3 feet and some muppet in a cage broke the red light and drove past me at 60-70mph. Missed me by inches. He was on his phone at the time.

If my bike had been working properly, I would have accelerated faster and he would have taken a direct hit from the right.

Worst case scenario = Dead
    Best case scenaro = I lose my right leg due to crush injury.

sutty wrote: »
    Dont ever ride with your feet out, it changes the centre of balance on the bike. Also if you do come off at anything over 15mhp, you run the risk of breaking your ankles. Feet on the pegs at all times. It also makes it easier to control a rear slide.
    That's weird because the "feet out" technique works perfectly well for me when the road in my estate turns into an ice rink! I'm only travelling at around 4mph mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Schmowen

I've had a few over the years . Mainly minor ones and pretty much when I was starting out .

But I had one about 3-4 years ago . Filtering down the outside of traffic (still on my side of the white line mind you ) I noticed a woman coming in the opposite direction slow down and flash her high beams (no filth lads) . Initially I thought she was flashing at me in anger or warning . So I slow down (not that I was moving quick anyway) keeping an eye on her cos I'm so close and don't want her to hit me .
    Next thing I know there's a car pulling out from my left and I'm way too close to stop . Anchors on and brace for impact .
    I hit the drivers side right between the rearside of the front wheel and the drivers door .
    I didn't go over , I just slammed into the drivers door , breaking 3 ribs and a collarbone . But the worst injury(in my mind) was the burst testicle after my nether regions slammed into the tank .
    BIke was a right-off , and after I picked myself up off the ground , I went to it and wept . I'd only had it 3 weeks . It could have been the pain that made me cry , but I lost a good bike all the same . And a ball .
    God rest ye both .

Keep her shiny side up lads .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Schmowen wrote: »
    I've had a few over the years . Mainly minor ones and pretty much when I was starting out .

But I had one about 3-4 years ago . Filtering down the outside of traffic (still on my side of the white line mind you ) I noticed a woman coming in the opposite direction slow down and flash her high beams (no filth lads) . Initially I thought she was flashing at me in anger or warning . So I slow down (not that I was moving quick anyway) keeping an eye on her cos I'm so close and don't want her to hit me .
    Next thing I know there's a car pulling out from my left and I'm way too close to stop . Anchors on and brace for impact .
    I hit the drivers side right between the rearside of the front wheel and the drivers door .
    I didn't go over , I just slammed into the drivers door , breaking 3 ribs and a collarbone . But the worst injury(in my mind) was the burst testicle after my nether regions slammed into the tank .
    BIke was a right-off , and after I picked myself up off the ground , I went to it and wept . I'd only had it 3 weeks . It could have been the pain that made me cry , but I lost a good bike all the same . And a ball .
    God rest ye both .

Keep her shiny side up lads .

Ahhhh that last accident has my scared to death now!!!

Mind you, I have seen bikes filtering on both left and right (inside and outside). I always go up the inside, on the left, but is this correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Thankfully I have had nothing major- about 6 years ago coming up to traffic lights in the wet - traffic lights went amber- I decided at last minute to stop braked too hard bike went from under me - I slid a bit but bar a couple of scratches was fine.
    I drive through the city each day - go at a speed that I find I can generally stop in time- I am very wary of passing 4x4s and vans especially as cannot see in over them, through them etc. Most of my issues are with Pedestrians and cyclists who just pop out without looking. Also I try on a main road to stay right of centre to give me time to manouvre from traffic that decides to filter out!!

Also very wary of manhole covers and white lines etc as very slippy when wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

1st time was when a taxi ran into the back of me. I was stationary in a traffic queue at the time and lit up like a christmas tree. After offering to buy me a new L plate(!) he did actually say in the presence of several witnesses, sorry I didn't see you.
    2nd time was gravel. The road had been resurfaced about 3 weeks by this I was approaching a junction going about 10mph when the bike and I parted company.
    I think if you are going to ride a bike then it is inevitable you will have a spill at some stage.
    Be paranoid, anticipate the worst and keep your tires in good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭shaner

There was a court case last year I think (which I read about on this very forum) whereby a cager cut accross a biker who was travelling in the bus lane... Anyway, went to court and the judge decided that although the biker wasn't allowed to be in the bus lane, the cager was 100% at fault for changing lanes without checking mirrors thus causing the accident. And I agree 100% with that judge!

I was in a similar accident. Told by the cops that it was 50/50 liability that they'd be recommending to the sargeant. Still waiting to hear from them "officially" though.

Always assume the cagers are idiots, always drive defensively...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maiden30403

Only had one spill, was nearly really bad. Oil on a roundabout at the back of the airport, going around and then bam back wheel gone. Was rush hour in the morning too and all the pricks in their cages were blowing at me as I was lying their on the ground. You can't see the oil when it's raining at all.

Best advice, treat each ride as it's your first or a learning experience, no matter how good you might think you are you can still learn more. Now if only those young lads in their Civics would do the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hmmmm...let me see. The ones I remember are...

1) driving round a round about with female passenger on suzuki katana (50cc) and slip on gravel. Weight of me, the bike and the passenger pile drives my right knee to the ground where i do do damage on the gravel. Passenger has a scratch on her hand. Ouch!

2) Driving on very icy road (same bike) delivering pizza. Tap on rear brake at like 10mph and the bike just comes out from underneath me. I slide (with the bike) rather comfortably for 12 to 15 ft as the person I was delivering to watches me slide by their gate.

3) Driving to a new job on a 50cc gilera dna. Traffic moving nice and calm and all of a sudden the combi van in front jams on for no obvious reason. Once again my little wheels are cursed by the gravel on the side of the road and my new bike hits the ground hard and slides up to the van with a little thud. Turns out that a ****ing cat was crossing the road!!! That one hurt my leg and my pocket..and my new suit was ruined.

4) Yeah i know...i've had a few. So i'm a courier and driving on merrion square and intending to turn right to keep on the square. The left lane is clogged with traffic and my lane was free. Some feckin eejit decides to randomly walk out in front of me (without looking for oncoming traffic) with a bicycle. I'm too close to avoid so i hit the brakes hard. In slow motion...my bike rises to a 90 degree angle and falls down to the left just missing the car beside me. By the time I got up (not more than 10 seconds later) the eejit was nowhere to be seen. A few scratches to the bike and a broken rear indicator. My arm was in bits...early day for me. So thats all I have time for.

The message is.....be careful all you like but your still ****ed on 2 wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

had one coming upto roundabout - Woodies lucan few weeks ago. Skidded on construction work gravel. Still bit sore. Nice scrape down one side of the bike. Resale value probably down the tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 speedy joe

always expect the unexpected, after 32 years biking i had my first come off when a guy with an artic tractor unit came off a side road at c60 mph and drove me 40 ft down the road, advice buy the best protective bike gear you can afford, i had good gear and got no cuts but got 7 broken bones, but ah what i still love bikes, lorry driver was banned for 2 yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Over the space of 7 years riding I was lucky only to have 3 accidents, 2 of them minor:

One involved a taxi driver who u-turned in front of me. Wrote my bike off. :mad:

The second when I entered a roundabout a tad too quickly for my level of experience and ended up dropping my bike as I mounted the kerb. I had slowed down sufficiently enough so it was minor damage. A bruised ego however. :o

The third was black ice in the city centre. Again a slow speed fall.

Lucky enough never to have had a major injury. (touch wood)

Like has been mentioned, ride like nobody can see you. Never presume the other driver see's you. EVER!
    Don't be afraid to slow the bike right down in traffic if you feel a situation which may be dangerous. You will develop a sixth sense for potential accidents.
    Taking just a couple of lessons with an experienced instructor will make a big difference. They will teach of all the danger's on the road, both from other users and road surfaces.

Good gear is crucial. Always wear full gear when riding. It'll help keep your skin on.

Advertisement