Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 SWEETIEP

THE CHANCES OF VICTORY FOR ABP IN EUROPE ARE A MILLION TO ONE. i TOOK THE CASE AND THE STATE ECT INCLUDING JOHN GORMLEY WERE RESPONDENTS.
    THE STATE WAS PUT IN A POSITION WHERE THEY HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO SUPPORT ME. IF A CASE IS FRIVILOUS YOU ARE THROWN OUT AT AN EAR;Y STAGE YOU DONT GET A CERT TO THE SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

SWEETIEP wrote: »
    THE CHANCES OF VICTORY FOR ABP IN EUROPE ARE A MILLION TO ONE. i TOOK THE CASE AND THE STATE ECT INCLUDING JOHN GORMLEY WERE RESPONDENTS.
    THE STATE WAS PUT IN A POSITION WHERE THEY HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO SUPPORT ME. IF A CASE IS FRIVILOUS YOU ARE THROWN OUT AT AN EAR;Y STAGE YOU DONT GET A CERT TO THE SC.

It's very frivolous. There was more of a case to block the M6 than there is the GCOB. Have a read of the last page of this brochure. You'll find that there are more serious environmental issues involved in Ballinasloe than Menlo, Dangan or Tonabrukey.
    The scheme crosses a number of watercourses which are important salmonid and coarse fisheries. The White-Clawed Crayfish (Austropotamobius pallipes), which is the only freshwater crayfish species occurring in Ireland, was found in watercourses where the bedrock geology is limestone. Strict control measures were put in place to protect watercourses and in-stream works were limited to outside the fisheries spawning season. Bio-Engineering techniques were used to stabilise banks and in the creation of freshwater habitats.

The scheme crosses the River Suck outside Ballinasloe. The River Suck is a designated Special Protection Area for the protection of birds, in particular the Greenland White Fronted Goose (Anser albifrons flavirostris), which is a winter visitor to Ireland. Surveys were conducted by ornithologists to identify the proximity of the birds' feeding grounds to the new road. Noise reduction measures were put in place to minimise the disturbance to these birds during the winter months.

BTW are the Attorney General & Minister for the Environment, Heritage (a certain Gormley, who happened to be the TD for the area where the chief litigant Sweetman resided) all listed as litigants against ABP?

PETER SWEETMAN
    APPLICANT

AND

IRELAND, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
    AND THE MINISTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT, HERITAGE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT

AN BORD PLEANÁLA
    RESPONDENTS

GALWAY COUNTY COUNCIL
    GALWAY CITY COUNCIL
    NOTICE PARTIES

Is the heading of the case, IRELAND, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
    AND THE MINISTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT. if you bothered to check the Dail records you would not talk such drivel. The Corrib SAC which will be taken by the road is a Priority Habitat. There was no SAC in BALLINASLOE and the crayfish were not affected. The actual grazing areas for the geese were not affected, and there is so little traffic that there is much less noise than was anticipated. I have an address in Rathmines and do not vote there and do not support Gormless. Look up the word respondent in the dictionary as you do not seem to understand what it means.

PETER SWEETMAN
    APPLICANT

AND

IRELAND, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
    AND THE MINISTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT, HERITAGE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT

AN BORD PLEANÁLA
    RESPONDENTS

GALWAY COUNTY COUNCIL
    GALWAY CITY COUNCIL
    NOTICE PARTIES

Is the heading of the case, IRELAND, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
    AND THE MINISTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT. if you bothered to check the Dail records you would not talk such drivel. The Corrib SAC which will be taken by the road is a Priority Habitat. There was no SAC in BALLINASLOE and the crayfish were not affected. The actual grazing areas for the geese were not affected, and there is so little traffic that there is much less noise than was anticipated. I have an address in Rathmines and do not vote there and do not support Gormless. Look up the word respondent in the dictionary as you do not seem to understand what it means.

I thought that was you.

I didn't make a full listing of the parties here's what the ECJ have on their page.

Referring court

Supreme Court

Parties to the main proceedings

Applicants: Peter Sweetman, Ireland, Attorney General, Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government

Defendant: An Bord Pleanala

You say there is no SAC in Ballinasloe. There are several bodies who have put their names to that brocure - are you calling them liars? Doesn't that come under slander or liable?

BTW I don't know why a Dub would be willing to out so much of their own money into an environmental case that apparently nobody in Galway gives a flying f*ck about.

How's about you stay out of our business?

I listed the High Court proceedings, things changed.

I am not a Dub.

I dont know the brochure that you are referring to there is no SAC affected by the road a BALLINASLOE. Perhaps it is your reading that is at fault.

http://www.courts.ie/judgments.nsf/6681dee4565ecf2c80256e7e0052005b/18cdda1ceeb7a247802577490032adce?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,sweetman

• Advertisement

I am not a Dub.

I dont know the brochure that you are referring to there is no SAC affected by the road a BALLINASLOE. Perhaps it is your reading that is at fault.

http://www.courts.ie/judgments.nsf/6681dee4565ecf2c80256e7e0052005b/18cdda1ceeb7a247802577490032adce?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,sweetman

I quoted from it, how's about downloading it?

I would if I knew what it was

I would if I knew what it was

Then I suggest you learn how to read - it is (still) linked.

I have better things to do than read through your rubbish to find it, post the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Folks can we keep this civil, questions/statements regarding the literacy of a user isn't relevant to the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I am not a Dub.

Mr. Sweetman, it has been pointed out to you that since you live in Dublin ( and therefore are a Dub, regardless of what you say) then it is questionable as to what your interest is in Galway having or not having a bypass. You are wantonly blocking a major Irish city from getting an essential piece of infrastructure. Your case seems rather frivolous all things considered.

I have better things to do than read through your rubbish to find it, post the link.

The link is already posted. Take a look, it's not hard to find.

If you expect us to read your proaganda claims, the least you can do is actually read what is written in response to your attack on something you haven't read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

antoobrien wrote: »
    BTW I don't know why a Dub would be willing to out so much of their own money into an environmental case that apparently nobody in Galway gives a flying f*ck about.

Reactionary parish pump politics is still alive and well in this country, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Says Bertie to the financially prudent. Such staying out of local business is how things like whole cities are deprived of safe drinking water.

Where someone is from does not dictate whether they are correct or not.

In any case, the bigotry is rather unbecoming.
    You say there is no SAC in Ballinasloe. There are several bodies who have put their names to that brocure - are you calling them liars? Doesn't that come under slander or liable?
    Perhaps they are wrong (I don't know). Being wrong doesn't make one a liar.
    spacetweek wrote: »
    Mr. Sweetman, it has been pointed out to you that since you live in Dublin ( and therefore are a Dub, regardless of what you say)
    By that reckoing, the president is a Dub. I understand Mr. Sweetman has a business address in Dublin, but does not live there.
    BTW are the Attorney General & Minister for the Environment, Heritage (a certain Gormley, who happened to be the TD for the area where the chief litigant Sweetman resided) all listed as litigants against ABP?
    Yes, they are listed, but no, Mr. Gormley is not party to the action, the minister is - as minister, not a private person.
    The brochure at http://www.nra.ie/GeneralTollingInformation/StatutoryNotices/Archive-TollingDocumentation/file,17542,en.pdf would appear to be the launch brochure for the M6 opening.

Map HL1 [page 1:93] does appear to suggest that the River Suck SPA does include the area aound Ballinasloe. http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/Planning/DevelopmentPlans/GalwayCountyDevelopmentPlan2009-2015/CountyDevelopmentPlan2009-2015/FilesTable/Galway_County_Council_DevPlan2009.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Victor wrote: »
    Says Bertie to the financially prudent. Such staying out of local business is how things like whole cities are deprived of drinking water.

Where someone is from does not dictate whether they are correct or not.

In any case, the bigotry is rather unbecoming.
    Perhaps they are wrong (I don't know). Being wrong doesn't make one a liar.

But it's our Cryptosporidium! None of your damn business. Go organise your own water-borne diseases.

And let's not think too much about where the €350 million for the GCOB is to come from either...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Jeez, we'll have Sweeties mate Brian Guckian signing on next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would suggest that the mods check that our capslock loving new member is, in fact, Peter Sweetman before continuing to let a potential troll exist if its not.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Jeez, we'll have Sweeties mate Brian Guckian signing on next :)

We'd just need Salafia for a full set of ill-informed anti-road cranks in that case, seeing as we have most of the Plan"Better" numpties around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

MYOB wrote: »
    I would suggest that the mods check that our capslock loving new member is, in fact, Peter Sweetman before continuing to let a potential troll exist if its not.

We're satisfied that the poster is who he says he is. Fair point though. That is all.

I'm not sure if this link will work (internet explorer only, download needed), but there does seem to be a SAC along the west (Galway) side of the River Suck (and both sides further north). I've not checked the east side.

http://apps.galwaycoco.ie/GenericMapViewer/mv_default.asp?ACTION=JUMP&ZG=ZoomTownlands&LayerName=Townlands&ID=POLLBOY (under "Infrastructural Data" select "NRA Routes" and under "DOE data" select "Special Protection Area")

http://www.galway.ie/gis/gmaps/map.html# - Environmental Management Area north from the M6 bridge.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Reactionary parish pump politics is still alive and well in this country, it seems.

What with the connolly sisters, that bloke that has stan shields
    & joe shuaghnessy on speed dial and the stroke fahy we have enough political annoyance without importing it.

Ever notice how the peopl that appear as spokespeople against major projects are almost always not locals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

What with the connolly sisters, that bloke that has stan shields
    & joe shuaghnessy on speed dial and the stroke fahy we have enough political annoyance without importing it.

Ever notice how the peopl that appear as spokespeople against major projects are almost always not locals?

Serial Objectors, we're stuck with them i'm afraid.
    A case of ' those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves'.
    One objection to the GCOB was on the grounds that it would endanger 'bog cotton' , despite the fact that it grows on every cut bog in the county. The biggest risk to the abundant bog cotton is to actually preserve the bogs, it only grows where turf is harvested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

If you are Peter Sweetman:

Who do you think you are to come here and rubbish the viewpoints of other people - your attitude just strengthens my opinion that your actions in general are non-democratic. BTW, I'm a Meath man, so I'd kindly ask you to keep your nose out of our business as well - I believe you are causing problems with regard to the Slane Bypass - and it might actually surprise you, but Newgrange has stood for 5000 years without your help and yes, we're very proud of our heritage and no, we're not going to bulldoze Newgrange out of it - the Slane Bypass won't even touch the buffer zone for God's sake. Also, what are 22 lives? :rolleyes:

Regarding Galway, do you have no concern for the thousands of people that are suffering from delays because there is no proper bypass. Of course, you'd say 'more roads are not the answer', but when you think things out, it's funny that Galway seems (from what I'm hearing) to have the worst traffic congestion of any of the 5 cities in the Republic - it is also the only city without any proper orbital route - Dublin has the M50, Cork - N25, Limerick - M7/N18 and Waterford - N25/R710. You see, no matter how good public transport is in any city, you still need a proper orbital road to carry around the traffic that has nothing to do with the city. You also have to consider people of old age, people with mobility impairment, people with children etc - these people might actually find things a little too difficult on public transport. You need to get real - cars are a fact of life and are here to stay. Cars are not just part of the economy you know, they're now an integral part of the social infrastructure as well.

If you want to campaign about environmental issues, then I'd suggest you tackle things like urban sprawl which is due to economic greed and bad planning. I also suggest you tackle a significant new threat to our environment - shale fracking! Many parts of the green isle as we know it might be destroyed by this practice. You should also campaign against the industrial waste generated through built in obsolescence - unnecessary waste material, unnecessary land taken up for production purposes, unnecessary Co2 emissions caused by same. Some farming practices are also destroying the environment - hedge/ditch removal and reduced bio-diversity - gorse removal etc.

In short, there’s plenty for you to be concerned about regarding the environment - just leave us, the ordinary people alone!!! :mad:

MYOB wrote: »
    We'd just need Salafia for a full set of ill-informed anti-road cranks in that case, seeing as we have most of the Plan"Better" numpties around.
    And that Nix fella who does not know what what a Motorway is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

You're great value for money alright! You have ground a city to a halt for the benifit of your own self importance, why not stand for election like Niall O Brolochan and see what the people of Galway think of you and your objections. There will be a bridge eventually and probally 2 in time but they will cost us a fortune and you'll be long forgotten!

BYE BYE I HAVE NO INTEREST IN DISCUSSING ISSUES WITH IDIOTS.

Stop SHOUTING.!!! :( I.E. USING CAPITALISATION.

Shouting is the height of ignorance on the Internet! :(

People who SHOUT all the time are considered the lowest of the low in discussion fora!

I SAID BYE BYE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

I SAID BYE BYE

We're going to miss you sweetie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

BYE BYE I HAVE NO INTEREST IN DISCUSSING ISSUES WITH IDIOTS.

Read the Charter. I'm banning you for a week for vexatious posting.

• Advertisement

What with the connolly sisters, that bloke that has stan shields & joe shuaghnessy on speed dial and the stroke fahy we have enough political annoyance without importing it.

Because there is no way that Fahy, etc. would make a principled stand? Do you want the most suited person to comment or just a local person who might have no relevant experience?
    Bosco boy wrote: »
    You have ground a city to a halt
    Might that not have something to do with a disproportionate amount of residential development onthe west side of the Corrib and a disproportionate amount of commercial development on the east side? you might look at Galway councillors and the people that elect them for that.
    There will be a bridge eventually and probally 2 in time but they will cost us a fortune and you'll be long forgotten!
    Building now would likely be substantially cheaper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement