Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Bypass takes cars out of city centre. City centre traffic becomes less of a problem. Buses, cyclists, pedestrians can then move around the town more freely/quickly/safely. City centre living becomes more desirable. Increase in population. Increase in public transport use ;)

Probably too simplistic. Think the bypass is a positive. If they sorted out the Salmon Weir Bridge that'd be very positive also.

Sure as the bypass would be taking car's out of the city centre you could close Salmon Weir Bridge from Private Motor Vehicle's. Make it an "on demand" bus lane and widen the footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Sure as the bypass would be taking car's out of the city centre you could close Salmon Weir Bridge from Private Motor Vehicle's. Make it an "on demand" bus lane and widen the footpaths.

There was talk years ago of building a vehicle only bridge 20metres downstream of Salmon Weir Bridge (taking out the bend when coming from Court house direction -- straight through), in that plan the idea was that existing Salmon Weir Bridge would become pedestrian/Cyclist only.

dubhthach wrote: »
    There was talk years ago of building a vehicle only bridge 20metres downstream of Salmon Weir Bridge (taking out the bend when coming from Court house direction -- straight through), in that plan the idea was that existing Salmon Weir Bridge would become pedestrian/Cyclist only.

Cheaper option would be to do nothing and just remove the car traffic. Then can concentrate that money on a bridge/tunnel upstream for the bypass.

Cheaper option would be to do nothing and just remove the car traffic. Then can concentrate that money on a bridge/tunnel upstream for the bypass.

Sure and the cheaper option was to use roundabouts instead of interchanges on the M50 (estimated cost saving of £50m in 1980) we all know how that turned out in long run!

Sure and the cheaper option was to use roundabouts instead of interchanges on the M50 (estimated cost saving of £50m in 1980) we all know how that turned out in long run!

Not sure why are you bringing the M50 into it? Salmon Weir Bridge is in Heart of Galway City. Less than 3 minutes walk from Lynch's Castle. We really do not need to facilitate car traffic at this location by building a NEW bridge.
    Back to the Bypass. If the bypass was built we would as many ascertain be taking many car's out of the city centre so one could close Salmon Weir Bridge to Private Motor Vehicle's after this. Make it a smarter travel / public transport gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Not sure why are you bringing the M50 into it?

Because taking the cheaper option for the M50 lead to a 1bn upgrade 20 odd years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    In EU and world terms Galway "City" is a small town. :)

Anyway, what happens to small towns in Ireland that are bypassed?

Depends... but...

If we take the N77 (old N8) as an example, there is an impressive long cycle lane that was built shortly after around Durrow/Abbeyleix.

I don't think that this cycle route would have been a runner if long distance national traffic were using it.

Well you did say "small town". Anyway I hope that this inspires you today. :)

Not sure why are you bringing the M50 into it? Salmon Weir Bridge is in Heart of Galway City. Less than 3 minutes walk from Lynch's Castle. We really do not need to facilitate car traffic at this location by building a NEW bridge.
    Back to the Bypass. If the bypass was built we would as many ascertain be taking many car's out of the city centre so one could close Salmon Weir Bridge to Private Motor Vehicle's after this. Make it a smarter travel / public transport gate.

I know where the Salmon Weir Bridge is, I was born less then 10minutes walk from it ffs, closing it to private cars does nothing to alleviate the issue it poses to pedestrians due to narrow footpaths and buses having to take wide turns.

Given that 4-5 bus routes are "multiplexed" across that one bridge it makes sense to replace the bridge with a proper width bridge (Without a humpback) that would be in alignment with St. Vincent's Avenue/Headford Road.

4590787741.jpg

I know where the Salmon Weir Bridge is, I was born less then 10minutes walk from it ffs, closing it to private cars does nothing to alleviate the issue it poses to pedestrians due to narrow footpaths and buses having to take wide turns.

Given that 4-5 bus routes are "multiplexed" across that one bridge it makes sense to replace the bridge with a proper width bridge (Without a humpback) that would be in alignment with St. Vincent's Avenue/Headford Road.

4590787741.jpg

I don't care where you were born. Fail to see how that is relevant. My point was that we should not be pushing more and more private car traffic through at this location. If it was closed would not have issues with the buses turning - they would not be competing with all the private car traffic that currently use it.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Because taking the cheaper option for the M50 lead to a 1bn upgrade 20 odd years later.

Still fail to see the relevance in relation to the Salmon Weir Bridge?

• Advertisement

I don't care were you were born. Fail to see how that is relevant. My point was that we should not be pushing more and more private car traffic through at this location. If it was closed would not have issues with the buses turning - they would not be competing with all the private car traffic that currently use it.

Let you seem to presume to offer me a geographic lesson vis-a-vie Lynch's castle. How was that relevant? The Claddagh bridge is less than 5 minutes walk from Lynch's castle do you propose to ban traffic from that as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I don't care where you were born. Fail to see how that is relevant. My point was that we should not be pushing more and more private car traffic through at this location. If it was closed would not have issues with the buses turning - they would not be competing with all the private car traffic that currently use it.
    But there'll be less traffic, with the bypass. Less traffic than there is now. What need is there to go the full hog and close it to private traffic altogether?

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    But there'll be less traffic, with the bypass. Less traffic than there is now. What need is there to go the full hog and close it to private traffic altogether?

Because there will be no need for it with the bypass. It would create a better realm for pedestrians, cyclists and public transport users in the City Centre/NUIG. Would improve journey times of buses on the West side of the city. Would also have knock on benefits to the Woodquay area.

Let you seem to presume to offer me a geographic lesson vis-a-vie Lynch's castle. How was that relevant? The Claddagh bridge is less than 5 minutes walk from Lynch's castle do you propose to ban traffic from that as well?

Sure why not! Just private car traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Buses on the existing Salmon Weir Bridge will still be a danger to pedestrians even without car traffic.

A new bridge should should be built alongside the Salmon Weir Bridge to keep motor traffic safely away from pedestrians. That much is plain and simple! Whether or not cars are allowed to use the new bridge is up for debate. Personally, I am open to it being public transport only if a bypass is built.

KevR wrote: »
    Buses on the existing Salmon Weir Bridge will still be a danger to pedestrians even without car traffic.

A new bridge should should be built alongside the Salmon Weir Bridge to keep motor traffic safely away from pedestrians. That much is plain and simple! Whether or not cars are allowed to use the new bridge is up for debate. Personally, I am open to it being public transport only if a bypass is built.

I would trial the Public Transport Salmon Weir Bridge first for 6 months / 1 year . May not need to spend more money on a new bridge at all. It is a protected structure as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What do people think will be the preferred route? Have an interest in a property that may be affected by one, which is causing a lot of stress... do people believe they really don't have a preferred route?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tf2

Zzippy wrote: »
    What do people think will be the preferred route? Have an interest in a property that may be affected by one, which is causing a lot of stress... do people believe they really don't have a preferred route?

My money is on the green route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Still fail to see the relevance in relation to the Salmon Weir Bridge?

You're proposing something and one of the grounds of justification is that it's cheap. The relevance is clear to pretty much everyone else here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

tf2 wrote: »
    My money is on the green route.
    The green route is the one that will be chosen after this charade of a "public consultation" is out of the way. Minor tweaking arising from threatened legal action is all that will be considered.

"'Politics ... consists [of] choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable." (J.K. Galbraith)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

serfboard wrote: »
    The green route is the one that will be chosen after this charade of a "public consultation" is out of the way.

The blue route is considered to be much more favourable. Of course all of this could change and the green route could be selected. But my money is FIRMLY 100% on the blue route.

antoobrien wrote: »
    You're proposing something and one of the grounds of justification is that it's cheap. The relevance is clear to pretty much everyone else here.
    Yes would be very very cheap. Would get rid of all the car traffic either side of the Salmon Weir Bridge.
    Now how much is this bypass to going to cost again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

It has to be yellow, blue or green in my eyes. Can you imagine orange (does it rip through tirellan and NUI?) or red!!
    Does yellow go through parts of Carraig Bán and Scellig Ard?
    Blue or yellow would be nice for me. Green would be nice for people further out of Galway which I think would be most suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The blue route is considered to be much more favourable. Of course all of this could change and the green route could be selected. But my money is FIRMLY 100% on the blue route.

By whom?

Is there a table with number of houses/businesses that need to be knocked per route corridor?

Sniipe wrote: »
    It has to be yellow, blue or green in my eyes. Can you imagine orange (does it rip through tirellan and NUI?) or red!!
    Does yellow go through parts of Carraig Bán and Scellig Ard?
    Blue or yellow would be nice for me. Green would be nice for people further out of Galway which I think would be most suitable.

Basic map of routes mapped onto OS map from poll site run by the "Connacht Turbine"

79d99b3b5246a52553791af38a18c614-54ca0c51686cb.jpg

If you ask me Blue particularly given it's N59 linkroad would promote commuter traffic from Knocknatallaght, though it would be interesting to see a proper map with proposed junctions on each route. That and it's terminus point in the uncompleted "Bearna Bypass".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Is there a table with number of houses/businesses that need to be knocked per route corridor?

Approximately 30 houses knocked on blue route, which is significantly less than the green route, which has over 100 houses on the proposed alignment. This figure doesn't include houses which will be affected (boundaries affected etc.). ask any of the engineers at the public consultation-they won't have a table to give you though. The red route and orange routes won't go ahead based on cost more than anything else. Cut and cover tunnelling would absolutely not be a feasible option when you have alternatives!

What you have to remember is that there are corridor lines and until design is complete you won't know where exactly the road goes within the corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It seems they are looking for a "silver bullet" solution which will solve all the problems with one fowl swoop but not considering the reality that funding for this solution will be difficult to obtain given the huge costs involved. All the road options look like €X00,000,000 projects and it will be a long time before that level of funding becomes available. This project is behind the M20, N7 widening and several competing Dublin transport projects so it will be a long time before substantial money for a project like this is made available.

They would be better looking at cheaper projects which have a realistic chance of getting funding in the next 5-10 years. Incremental improvements which all feed into an overall plan is far more realistic. A new bridge from Terryland to a point above Corrib Village would help take pressure off the QCB, a link from Bothar na dTreabh could ease things a bit and of course an overhaul of public transport with reallocate roadspace and greater priority. Not a. blunt as the options being considered but a lot more likely to happen.

West of the city obviously needs a new road but I don't understand why changes with each option given they all come to roughly the same location. I mean why does the green route bypass Barna but not the red one? Is there an option to terminate the green route east of Barna? I would have thought that the best solution for west of the city should be chosen on its own merits give the road network here needs to be redesigned, although planned in conjunction with the future wider road network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Basic map of routes mapped onto OS map from poll site run by the "Connacht Turbine"

[NOT_IMG]https://i0.wp.com/files.polldad...b.jpg[/NOT_IMG]
    I think you posted the wrong link... I found this one
    https://polldaddy.com/poll/8617926/
    It seems Blue(42%) is winning followed by green(28%) at the moment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement