Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

youngrun wrote: »
    Any source for this. Is the project still on track? They were to publish the phase 4 document by end of this month http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-4/phase-4/. Is the next stage after phase 4 the application to ABP and an oral hearing ?

Sorry , no source that I can name on here ;)

I don't know about the rest, the last I heard was the application to ABP directly would be made by the end of the year. Considering the Galway Harbour direct application was made in Jan 2014, and oral hearing was held in Jan 2015, late 2017 ties in for an oral hearing on the bypass. There have been several rumoured dates for a decision by ABP on the harbour extension that have come and gone without a word, so it could easily be 2 years after oral hearing before a decision is made. Possibly end 2019! Will there be High Court appeals after that... who knows? If I was in a CPO-earmarked house I wouldn't be going house-hunting yet anyway...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

http://galwaybayfm.ie/transport-minister-says-solving-galways-traffic-problems-top-priority/

Surprised he has time for talking about the N6 with all the crises he's facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

marno21 wrote: »
    Surprised he has time for talking about the N6 with all the crises he's facing.
    He has all the time in the world since he's not doing anything about any of them.

"Laissez-faire" Shane/ "I can't be bothered me hole" Ross.

As someone said on the radio imagine Shane Ross the columnist's comments about Shane Ross the minister.

As he is finding out, roaring "That's outrageous" doesn't cut it when you're a minister, and that's all that Ross can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Any word on the plans ? Its now at the end of Q3 http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-4/phase-4/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

youngrun wrote: »
    Any word on the plans ? Its now at the end of Q3 http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-4/phase-4/
    They have 1 more day :rolleyes:
    No mention in local media so doubt phase 4 is on track. Probably early 2017. That webpage was last updated/modified late Janurary 2016 so would not use it as a guide at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The main issue with this scheme is that the value of funding required for this scheme is almost at the same level as the funding allocated for the 14 other schemes in the capital investment plan.

There has been no indication that this will be funded as a PPP so it will be interesting to see how this is funded, especially considering www.n6galwaycity.ie has this as being "pushed" through the stages of the process (as it rightly should be - especially with the M17&M18 dumping a major amount of traffic onto the N6)

especially with the M17&M18 dumping a major amount of traffic onto the N6
    Nothing that a well-planned and resourced Bus Park & Ride couldn't deal with - and at a far cheaper cost than 600 million ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

serfboard wrote: »
    Nothing that a well-planned and resourced Bus Park & Ride couldn't deal with - and at a far cheaper cost than 600 million ...

Even if it was all free to use, both the park and the ride.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

• Advertisement

Update from the scheme website @ www.n6galwaycity.ie
    Individual landowner letters and drawings have been posted to all directly impacted landowners to provide an update on the project, the current design and the proposed timeline.

An overall drawing of the current design will be uploaded to the project website over the coming weeks once all directly impacted landowners are consulted. This will also be on display in Galway City Council and Galway County Council offices between the 14 November and 2 December.

In the current project timeline completion of the design, environmental impact statement and land acquisition drawings is proposed for late 2016. The planning application is expected to be made to An Bord Pleanála in 2017. Once an application is submitted to An Bord Pleanála, a full copy of the environmental impact statement and design will be on public display and available to view on this website.

Individual landowner letters and drawings have been posted to all directly impacted landowners
    Let the (legal) games commence! M'learned friends in Galway are queueing up at Colm Quinn's to pre-order their 2017 BMWs :)
    So (best case scenario) we might get a bypass by 2021?
    2121 might be more realistic ...

Final City bypass plan to go on display on November 14th

http://galwaybayfm.ie/final-city-bypass-design-to-go-on-public-display-shortly/

Final City bypass plan to go on display on November 14th

http://galwaybayfm.ie/final-city-bypass-design-to-go-on-public-display-shortly/
    I presume they'll be posted on the web also, though there's no mention of it in that article. You'd think the press release might've included that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

So (best case scenario) we might get a bypass by 2021?

It's looking like 2023 at this stage

Slips back two years in the space of five posts, impressive.
    Unfortunately, with the current bunch of politicians, these wild guesses are about as accurate as we can get, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rowr

http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-3/n6-galway-city-ring-road-public-display-14112016/

Latest maps gone live yesterday with detailed plans of proposed route

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

What kind of disgusting mess are they making at the Coolagh junction, where the new bypass meets the M6? Clearly its freeflow onto the bypass, but just about everything else crashes together at a massive crossroads? Or am I seeing it wrong? That will be a mess.

We'll have our own Switch Island at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Is there a turning sod date at this stage?
    At a guess I qould say Q2 2018

What kind of disgusting mess are they making at the Coolagh junction, where the new bypass meets the M6? Clearly its freeflow onto the bypass, but just about everything else crashes together at a massive crossroads? Or am I seeing it wrong? That will be a mess.

That was my initial thought too however when you take into account the bypass will pull all the M6 Ballybrit and Parkmore Ind Estate traffic away from that junction, then that junction doesn't get hit nearly as heavily.

The sooner this is built the better. In those 2 Ind Estates, thousands of hours are wasted on a daily basis stuck in traffic not moving

• Advertisement

What kind of disgusting mess are they making ...
    ... of the whole thing?

Good God. Looks like road design by committee with no idea too daft to be thrown out.

We supposedly don't have enough money to build the M20. So where are they going to get the hundreds of millions for this?

My prediction? It'll never be built. In the short-term, the lawyers will be warming up their invoice-printing machines ...

serfboard wrote: »
    ... of the whole thing?

Good God. Looks like road design by committee with no idea too daft to be thrown out.

We supposedly don't have enough money to build the M20. So where are they going to get the hundreds of millions for this?

My prediction? It'll never be built. In the short-term, the lawyers will be warming up their invoice-printing machines ...

We have no money for the M20 because there's nothing left over after this is taken into account. This project has been committed to in the capital plan, the M20 was omitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

We have no money for the M20 because there's nothing left over after this is taken into account. This project has been committed to in the capital plan, the M20 was omitted.
    Which is a national disgrace in my opinion. The current state of the N20 has killed far more than traffic on the Seamus Quirke Road has.

Link the 2nd and 3rd largest cities in the state by motorway, or provide a bypass from east Galway to west Galway? Good one.

This scheme will be a massive waste of money like the M50 upgrade unless moves are made to reduce car reliance in Galway city and county. The current situation is an obscene joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This scheme will be a massive waste of money like the M50 upgrade unless moves are made to reduce car reliance in Galway city and county. The current situation is an obscene joke.
    Very true.
    Galway City is the destination.
    Cost benefit is very hard to justify.
    13/14km Galway Expressway = €600,000,000 /€700,000,000(http://connachttribune.ie/galway-bypass-route-decided-356/)
    80km for the M20 = €800,000,000 / €900,000,000 (http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/proposed-cork-limerick-m20-motorwaywould-pay-off-for-state-376560.html)

The cost estimate for the M20 is between 700 and 780 million, as confirmed by TII head Michael Nolan yesterday. The 800/900/1bn figures are horse**** by politicans to say it's too expensive. Lets not forget it has a cost benefit ratio of over 2 as well (as opposed to the Dunkettle cost:benefit which is >10.) Not sure what the cost benefit for this is.

This time next year when the m17/m18 opens,that coolagh junction will be the new claregalway

m17 wrote: »
    This time next year when the m17/m18 opens,that coolagh junction will be the new claregalway

It's going to be a holy show until the new N6 opens.
    Deedsie wrote: »
    While I completely agree with your general point. If road deaths is to be the main consideration for funding a road then the N52 road is badly in need of an upgrade.

Being done bit by bit in fairness. A new stretch (near where the fatal accident was in the last few days) has just had a tender awarded.

Very true.
    Galway City is the destination.
    Cost benefit is very hard to justify.
    13/14km Galway Expressway = €600,000,000 /€700,000,000(http://connachttribune.ie/galway-bypass-route-decided-356/)
    80km for the M20 = €800,000,000 / €900,000,000 (http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/proposed-cork-limerick-m20-motorwaywould-pay-off-for-state-376560.html)

Why is project costing 50 million a km,when you consider the m17/m18 Is 9.6 million a km

• Advertisement

m17 wrote: »
    Why is project costing 50 million a km,when you consider the m17/m18 Is 9.6 million a km
    The new N6 is going through much more expensive land, has more junctions and especially has a big viaduct and 2 tunnels. There are no significant structures on the M17/M18.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement