Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Deedsie wrote: »
    While I completely agree with your general point. If road deaths is to be the main consideration for funding a road then the N52 road is badly in need of an upgrade.
    Also 100% agreed. I've driven much of the N52 a few times and I'm not surprised at the number of deaths. Some of it reminds me of regional roads in the likes of the Wicklow mountains.

How many times in my life have I heard of "death/s on the N52 just north of Mullingar" :(

I've written plenty before in this thread and was far more supportive of a €300 million scheme as I felt it was ultimately worth it despite the high cost. Nowadays I see it on a scale of extravagance that dwarfs all the govt funding for the (phase 1) WRC even.

If I hear something again from Canney, I'll punch the nearest wall.

With this, Galway will have received €1.2 billion in spent or promised govt-backed funding since the recession began, a small portion of which is of direct benefit to other counties. If that's not the parish pump at its finest, nothing is.

And yet it's Alan Kelly who gets all the stick on the media! Meanwhile Cork struggles with a roundabout joining 3 national routes, and yearly or higher death rates on the N20. And I'm from the opposite end of the country ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

m17 wrote: »
    Why is project costing 50 million a km,when you consider the m17/m18 Is 9.6 million a km

Tunnels, Bridge,expensive land/homes (41 in total) that need to be demolished, construction in built up area, restrictions on hours of construction?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Link the 2nd and 3rd largest cities in the state by motorway, or provide a bypass from east Galway to west Galway? Good one.
    That's a false choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

spacetweek wrote: »
    That's a false choice.
    How so? We have finite resources, certainly as far as the incumbent govt are concerned. If the previous capital plan excluded the M20 which had planning permission, in favour of building the GCOB of somewhat comparable cost, the element of choice is clear to me.

These two schemes are the most expensive road building schemes in any short-to-medium term proposals raised in recent years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

How so? We have finite resources, certainly as far as the incumbent govt are concerned. If the previous capital plan excluded the M20 which had planning permission, in favour of building the GCOB of somewhat comparable cost, the element of choice is clear to me.

These two schemes are the most expensive road building schemes in any short-to-medium term proposals raised in recent years.

New thread to discuss tis here: http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057672030/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I've updated the thread title to reflect the fact that this is now being referred to as the N6 Galway City Ring Road scheme, being built as part of the wider Galway City Transport Project.

It's also more accurate as it's no longer an outer bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

marno21 wrote: »
    I've updated the thread title to reflect the fact that this is now being referred to as the N6 Galway City Ring Road scheme, being built as part of the wider Galway City Transport Project.

It's also more accurate as it's no longer an outer bypass.

But is it actually a ring road? I thought it was to bypass the city on the northern side.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

medoc wrote: »
    But is it actually a ring road? I thought it was to bypass the city on the northern side.

N6 Galway Bypass is a better title.

It is a ring road. An "outer bypass" would mean it facilitates through traffic from one end of the place to the other. "Outer bypasses" don't have junctions with industrial parks and housing estates.

It is a ring road. An "outer bypass" would mean it facilitates through traffic from one end of the place to the other. "Outer bypasses" don't have junctions with industrial parks and housing estates.

I wasn't aware that it encircled the city. Anyway they call call it what they like as long as they build it. There's times I can get to the roundabout at Doughiska quicker from Tullamore than from there across the city.

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware that it encircled the city. Anyway they call call it what they like as long as they build it. There's times I can get to the roundabout at Doughiska quicker from Tullamore than from there across the city.
    Wait til you've M17/M18 traffic to contend with ;)

Wait til you've M17/M18 traffic to contend with ;)

Yea that's true. Though the M17 and M18 won't reach their full potential till after the bypass is done. Some people will still use the old routes into the city to avoid Doughiska I think.

We go to Galway a lot as we really like it. But the traffic is terrible for a town of it's size. Pity.

Agree. It is a City Ring Road / City Expressway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Good Stuff, Sounds like serous progress

There is no deadline for submissions based on the current design that is currently on public display in Galway City and County Council offices. Submissions and feedback are welcomed at all stages of the project. If you do wish to make a submission in relation to the design, it is recommended to do so as soon as possible to ensure that it is incorporated into the design before finalisation.

The design shown at the public display is also available on the project website at the following link: http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-3/n6-galway-city-ring-road-public-display-14112016/

Submissions can be sent to the project email address N6GCOB@arup.com or be sent by letter to Arup, Corporate House, City East Business Park, Ballybrit, Galway.

Following the large amount of feedback received from the on-going consultations and assessment of same, the design will not be finalised until the end of January 2017.

http://www.n6galwaycity.ie/phase-3/update-submissions-and-project-timeline-02122016/

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

I couldn't see there in any description if it will be motorway standard or not?

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    I couldn't see there in any description if it will be motorway standard or not?

It will apparently be a motorway standard DC with motorway like restrictions but not a motorway

It will apparently be a motorway standard DC with motorway like restrictions but not a motorway

What would the idea of that be? Going to the cost and effort but not bringing it quite to the grade?

Easy to upgrade in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

Likely to be a Protected Road Scheme instead of a Motorway Scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    What would the idea of that be? Going to the cost and effort but not bringing it quite to the grade?

Easy to upgrade in future?

The word "motorway" would be a harder sell to some despite it being the same thing.

2024 at the earliest according to this article.
    http://connachttribune.ie/city-by-pass-wont-open-before-2024/
    "
    Galway won’t have an outer city bypass before 2024, despite earlier predictions that it could open by 2019 or 2020.
    The city council was given an update on the Galway City Ring Road at a meeting of the local authority last evening. (12/12)
    Eileen McCarthy from ARUP outlined the major structures as part of the 593 million euro road project."

Reckon will be at a minimum a decade away. However would not be surprised if it even will go ahead. A lot of hurdles to jump yet.

2024 at the earliest according to this article.
    http://connachttribune.ie/city-by-pass-wont-open-before-2024/
    "
    Galway won’t have an outer city bypass before 2024, despite earlier predictions that it could open by 2019 or 2020.
    The city council was given an update on the Galway City Ring Road at a meeting of the local authority last evening. (12/12)
    Eileen McCarthy from ARUP outlined the major structures as part of the 593 million euro road project."

Reckon will be at a minimum a decade away. However would not be surprised if it even will go ahead. A lot of hurdles to jump yet.
    Very unclear where the funding from this is going to come from.

Hopefully sense will be seen and this will be redesignated M6 as well. No reason for it to be all purpose with such a clear alternative route.

Waterford and Limerick have all purpose ring roads with clear alternative routes and Dublin has a motorway ring road with a section (J6-J7) that the TII have admitted has no designated alternative route.

For it to be a motorway though it's not really enough to look like one and have an alternative route. It also needs to go somewhere strategic and Barna is not strategic.
    The road is mainly a new distributor for the city.

For it to be a motorway though it's not really enough to look like one and have an alternative route. It also needs to go somewhere strategic and Barna is not strategic.
    The road is mainly a new distributor for the city.

What are the exact spect/definitions that a road must match to be designated motorway do you know?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

That's a daft requirement. Plenty of motorways end beyond towns/villages for many reasons such as phased building (gort) or they have served their purpose (m2/m3/m4), doesn't make them any less of a motorway once they satisfy the technical requirements of a motorway rather than romantic requirements!

Deedsie wrote: »
    Well it goes to various strategic points around Galway City? Tuam bypass is motorway standard, it ends North of Tuam.

Tuam bypass will be standard 2+2, motorway standard ends south of Tuam

http://connachttribune.ie/major-revisions-made-to-e600m-outer-bypass-plans/

More information:

* Confirmation that this is being built as HQDC, and not as 2+2 expressway anymore
    * Major shortening of the two tunnel components of the scheme
    * 2021 start, 2024 finish pending funding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

all very quite on here.
    must be fupall happening with the ring road

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement