Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Project approved: https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/1002/1000457-galway-by-pass/

Off to ABP now with oral hearing in 2019. I don't expect this to be straightforward and short

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Re the bridge over the Corrib - have they solved the previous difficulties

1. Interfering with the limestone pavement when building supports for the bridge

2. THe famous bog cotton

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

nuac wrote: »
    Re the bridge over the Corrib - have they solved the previous difficulties

1. Interfering with the limestone pavement when building supports for the bridge

2. THe famous bog cotton
    EIS will be published shortly which will inform us on all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It has two tunnels, while Metrolink has only one, and costs €3 billion - 5 times as much - so must be a bargain.

When ya put it like that, it must be a bargain so.

marno21 wrote: »
    2 tunnels, 2 big bridges, runs entirely in suburban land , significant link roads at Parkmore and with the N59 etc

The 600m will only be worth it if the public transport solutions are completed in tandem

Exactly - its going to be a very expensive Dual Carriageway.

That's a big if?
    The City and County Council have given no indication that they will do anything in tandem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

will the part from the end of the dual carriageway to Barna be futureproofed for an upgrade.I would like to think so.

Exactly - its going to be a very expensive Dual Carriageway.

That's a big if?
    The City and County Council have given no indication that they will do anything in tandem.

Putting in a few bus lanes is a much easier exercise than the most expensive exchequer funded road scheme to date in this country which runs through an environmentally sensitive area, requires significant CPOs and was already refused by ABP

The public transport element is coming

Putting in a few bus lanes is a much easier exercise than the most expensive exchequer funded road scheme to date in this country which runs through an environmentally sensitive area, requires significant CPOs and was already refused by ABP

The public transport element is coming

When though? 2024? If it is so easy why have we not seen these actions been done now?
    For example they could have put in Bus lanes the length of the Western Distributor Road for 10,000,000, City Council themselves had it in a Smarter Travel City submission about 8 years back.

If the Galway Ring Road does not get go ahead from ABP - they (Galway City Council and County Council) have wasted the last 5/6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

For example they could have put in Bus lanes the length of the Western Distributor Road
    This is such a no-brainer - I really can't stand this "we can't do anything until we get the ring-road" nonsense that the Council go on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

A huge day for Galway. Many more hurdles to cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They have downgraded the junction with the M6 on this scheme from full freeflow (right) to partially freeflow (wrong) because Paddyland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭veryangryman

[font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]"And the route then links up with the M6 terminus at Coolagh roundabout"[/font]

[font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]Oh god tell me that isn't what i think it means.  The map isn't clear as to whether M6 traffic bypassing the city has to touch the roundabout [/font]

[font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]"And the route then links up with the M6 terminus at Coolagh roundabout"[/font]

[font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif]Oh god tell me that isn't what i think it means.  The map isn't clear as to whether M6 traffic bypassing the city has to touch the roundabout [/font]

It doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

So are they getting rid of the roundabout at the end of the M6 and replacing it with a spaghetti junction?

Yes.

N6-GCRR-Figure.jpg

No. They are not adding a spaghetti junction. They were but that would have been too competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

No. They are not adding a spaghetti junction. They were but that would have been too competent.

Are you just here to wind folk up?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

galway city bypasshttp://youtubegalway city bypass transport 3d video]hope this helps your question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭barry181091

Let's say this gets through ABP in a normal amount of time, when should we see ground broken? Or a rough date for competition?

Let's say this gets through ABP in a normal amount of time, when should we see ground broken? Or a rough date for competition?

Current estimate is 2021 start and 2025 finish. I would be saying that 2021 is ambitious and I'd expect 2022 start and 2026 completion

It'll be interesting to see if this is opened in phases as some elements will clearly take longer than others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭barry181091

Current estimate is 2021 start and 2025 finish. I would be saying that 2021 is ambitious and I'd expect 2022 start and 2026 completion

It'll be interesting to see if this is opened in phases as some elements will clearly take longer than others

Well that's depressing :(

No better time than now to eye up housing in potential growth areas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Anyone have an overlay of the route on Google maps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Anyone have an overlay of the route on Google maps?

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

I certainly understand the ending of the Motorway/Type 1 DC at the last N road junction, but what is the plan to prevent Galway City development from turning the single carriageway section into developed street/road hybrids.

How will the SC section's function has a high speed link road be protected?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

So what are the next stages.

Does anyone have an estimate on when first sod is turned. Im thinking well be late into 2020s before this is driveable on.

Looking forward to playing count the tractors at that point

SeanW wrote: »
    I certainly understand the ending of the Motorway/Type 1 DC at the last N road junction, but what is the plan to prevent Galway City development from turning the single carriageway section into developed street/road hybrids.

How will the SC section's function has a high speed link road be protected?

The entire scheme is being built under Motorway Order and Protected Road Order. There will be no development whatsoever along its length

• Advertisement

Are you just here to wind folk up?

No. I am pointing out that it is not a spaghetti junction.

The first plan was superior and full free flow - they changed it to the inferior option.

No surprise. People will continue defending this nonsense which is why nothing changes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement