Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 525 tds - E34 or E39?

Options
  • 05-11-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm considering getting a BMW 525tds and am trying to decide between the E34(pre 1996) and E39 engines. I've read some good reviews on the E34 but obviously they are an older model. Can anyone advise on which one they'd go for and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Get a 520i instead. Or a 525i/523i if you can find one.

The E34 is a lovely car but it is a 20 year old design, and it is starting to really show its age at this stage, but they do have superb reliability.

The E39 is less reliable but the interior is a big improvement(in fairness the E34 still feels like it was built to last) and I think it is a better car to drive too. The styling, space, ride quality and particularly safety are what makes the E39 a better car.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would echo E92's post.
    The E34 is a lovely car but I must admit that although heavier, the E39 is much smoother and comfier.
    I have an E39 523i and although it was written off earlier this year, it was too good a car to not bring back to life. Get one - you won't (hopefully) regret it!
    Manke sure you get one with as many extras though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

aqwert wrote: »
    I'm considering getting a BMW 525tds and am trying to decide between the E34(pre 1996) and E39 engines. I've read some good reviews on the E34 but obviously they are an older model. Can anyone advise on which one they'd go for and why?

Don't go near a tds,they're slow and not very economical for a diesel,if you want a diesel go for the 530d manual.........alot more modern ,faster, economical and refined,better in a crash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,454 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Like the others said. Whatever you do, don't buy a BMW with the old skool tractor diesel engine. And unless you are in love with the classic design of the E34, there really is no other reason to buy one now over an E39. The latter can be had for as little as a few grand these days. I used to own an E34 and it was the king in it's day. The sublime suspension setup of the E39 outclasses the E34 in every way though. I'd be humble enough to admit I'd rather drive an entry level tiny engined E39 straight six compared to my trusty V8 E34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote: »
    Like the others said. Whatever you do, don't buy a BMW with the old skool tractor diesel engine.

Why not? He is buying an old car, the chances are it will have high miles, and the tractor engine will definately outlive the common rail imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

joeperry wrote: »
    Don't go near a tds,they're slow and not very economical for a diesel,if you want a diesel go for the 530d manual.........alot more modern ,faster, economical and refined,better in a crash too.

There's two 525 diesel engines, and I think one is supposed to be a lot more refined than its predecessor. I haven't driven an e34, but have had my e39 525 for about 6 months now, and absolutely love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Both E34 and E39 have differing qualities. Enthusiasts love the E34 because of its classic styling, great build quality and good reliability. It was arguably the last of the over engineered BMW's. However good ones are hard to find now, and a neglected one can be a money pit. The E39 has ho-hum styling but is a superbly rounded package and great to drive. It is more refined than the E34. While well built it does not feel like it will last forever (like the E34), and I have heard a lot of stories about fragile electrics which can be hard and costly to fix, a friend required a new ECU which cost €4500. Like any BMW an older one can cost money to keep right, so factor in for above average running costs, even if you use a good independent.

Both cars a great, but if you can find a good E39 with a service history then I would take it over an E34, unless you have your heart set on the last of the old school BMW's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

joeperry wrote: »

+1 ..........go for the 530d - my preference is for a tip tronic tho';)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

aqwert wrote: »

e34, so much room in the engine bay, doesnt look as cheap as the e39, what more do you need ?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Nice one here on ebay. I've purchased from this guy too before is can recommend him.

Having said that I too have an E39 523i with 168,000mile clocked up and it super to drive still. I have no experience of E34, Its down to personnal choice in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Up to recently I had a '95 E34 525tds touring. I brought it in from the UK and it was a one owner full history car. Fantastic condition but the folder of bills was a bit scary to read through. They were definately much better built the the more modern BMW's but are costly to maintain.

Mine was an auto and did around 40-45mpg. I didn't drive the crap out of it though.

E34 are for the heart, E39 for the head !

Advertisement