Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I know of a garage that clocked a car and is selling it

Options
  • 05-11-2008 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I know of a garage in Dublin that has clocked a car and is selling it on their forecourt, what to do?

How do I know it has been clocked, well the car was a trade in when the previous owner handed over the car the mileage was about 11,000 more than what it is being advertised at now, this person has proof of the proper mileage as well (service invoices etc).

We pay enough for cars, insurance, tax, fuel and running costs so why should we have to pay for some greedy garages dodgy dealings as well.
    I'm no busybody but in fairness I wouldn't like to buy a motor that was dodgy would you?

The garage in question has been around a few years so how many have they done before that!!

I'm not going to name names (yet).
    I just want to see what you petrolheads think should be done?

IF YOU HAD PROOF A GARAGE WAS CLOCKING CARS WHAT WOULD YOU DO? 185 votes

Nothing
    0% 0 votes
    The Law
    3% 7 votes
    Name & Shame
    48% 90 votes
    A little taste of their own medicine!!!
    47% 88 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

I know of a garage in Dublin that has clocked a car and is selling it on their forecourt, what to do?

How do I know it has been clocked, well the car was a trade in when the previous owner handed over the car the mileage was about 11,000 more than what it is being advertised at now, this person has proof of the proper mileage as well (service invoices etc).

We pay enough for cars, insurance, tax, fuel and running costs so why should we have to pay for some greedy garages dodgy dealings as well.
    I'm no busybody but in fairness I wouldn't like to buy a motor that was dodgy would you?

The garage in question has been around a few years so how many have they done before that!!

I'm not going to name names (yet).
    I just want to see what you petrolheads think should be done?

I'd report it as someone is going to get shafted when they buy it!

There basically committing fraud on the unsuspecting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bagofspanners1

miceal wrote: »
    I'd report it as someone is going to get shafted when they buy it!

There basically committing fraud on the unsuspecting!

Too true but who would it have to be reported to, the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Could it be a typo or possible mistake?

I thought that at first, but then I saw 4 car sites plus their own advertising it with the same lower mileage.
    I suppose another way of checking is to go and see the car as a potential buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I thought that at first, but then I saw 4 car sites plus their own advertising it with the same lower mileage.
    I suppose another way of checking is to go and see the car as a potential buyer.

Ya but there one program in most cases updates all those sites.

If your going to accuse, go to the garage, sit in the car and look at the mileage. Typo's can very easily happen, even into their system at work, the salesman who traded it in could of easily wrote it down wrong or took the customers word it. Hold your high horses, and check it out first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What are the actual and advertised mileages? Sometimes it's obvious what happened, ie 100,000 miles to 62,000 miles = miles having been entered as kms.

Anan1 wrote: »
    What are the actual and advertised mileages? Sometimes it's obvious what happened, ie 100,000 miles to 62,000 miles = miles having been entered as kms.

11,000 in the difference apparantly?

Plus i can no more see why some one would clock a car 11,000 miles, completely pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I didnt even bother reading your post its a no-brainer, call the Gardai and report them you'll get nothing done on here. In the time it's taken you to post this you could of phoned them and all.

Instead theres a chance that some poor bastard is going to buy a clocked car.

:mad:

Plus i can no more see why some one would clock a car 11,000 miles, completely pointless.
    Perhaps the car had 31,000 miles, this was entered in the kms field, and the mileage of the car in the ad appeared as 20,000 miles? I can't really see the point in only shaving 10,000 either, if it were done deliberately.

Volvoboy wrote: »
    I didnt even bother reading your post its a no-brainer, call the Gardai and report them you'll get nothing done on here. In the time it's taken you to post this you could of phoned them and all.

Instead theres a chance that some poor bastard is going to buy a clocked car.

:mad:

Lol, i think what the OP "knows" isn't a guarantee. Although, i could be wrong.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the car had 31,000 miles, this was entered in the kms field, and the mileage of the car in the ad appeared as 20,000 miles? I can't really see the point in only shaving 10,000 either, if it were done deliberately.

By the sounds of it it has a service history as well, so why null a service history for the sake of 11,000. We'll have to wait and see.

Ya but there one program in most cases updates all those sites.

If your going to accuse, go to the garage, sit in the car and look at the mileage. Typo's can very easily happen, even into their system at work, the salesman who traded it in could of easily wrote it down wrong or took the customers word it. Hold your high horses, and check it out first.

Well the one program doesn't work for CBG or Carsireland and I doubt if their own site updates others.

It's far from a high horse I'm on.
    I have 100% proof that there were no errors made at the time of trade-in, the customer stood next to the salesman as he looked at the clock and service indicator.
    Plus the receipt has the trade-in mileage on it.

As for going to see the car, I'm waiting on someone to get back to me who went to view the car earlier. I'll update as soon as I hear.

Well the one program doesn't work for CBG or Carsireland and I doubt if their own site updates others.

I have 100% proof that there were no errors made at the time of trade-in, the customer stood next to the salesman as he looked at the clock and service indicator.

All of the above points are irrelevant, mistakes can be made.

Wait and see what your friends says, if they clocked it, name and shame and get the law involved.

As for going to see the car, I'm waiting on someone to get back to me who went to view the car earlier. I'll update as soon as I hear.
    What's the indicated/actual mileage?

So if you saw two cars you liked one with say 60,000 on it and the other with 48,430 which one would you go for?
    Lol, i think what the OP "knows" isn't a guarantee. Although, i could be wrong.
    Yeah I know nothing I just posted this as a bet:rolleyes:
    By the sounds of it it has a service history as well, so why null a service history for the sake of 11,000. We'll have to wait and see.

What if the last service was 14,000 miles ago, there's no need for the service history to be altered then is there?

What's the indicated/actual mileage?

80,542 is whats on the original clock
    Now down to 69k.

So if you saw two cars you liked one with say 60,000 on it and the other with 48,430 which one would you go for?
    There are hundreds of other things on a car that i would be more concerned about than 11,000 miles. Colour, tax, nct, condition, how well it was looked after, number of owners, was it imported, wheels, spec. If your going to ask me if the two of them were the exact same in every way, then there would be an obvious answer to your question, but it would be unlikely for this to happen.
    Yeah I know nothing I just posted this as a bet:rolleyes:

I work in a garage, i'm a salesman, i look after the internet side of things. I've often put in the mileage wrong on the cars, it can very easily happen. As mentioned above the whole km's, miles option on carbase can easily catch some one out.
    What if the last service was 14,000 miles ago, there's no need for the service history to be altered then is there?

If the last service was 14,000 miles ago, if could well have been a good few months back, and there's alot of the time dates on services. So if there's only been 3,000 put on in a few months and compared to other service interval gaps it could easily arouse suspicion with a customer.

In the end, if this does come out to be clocked, it will have been a very pointless clocking. The only way YOU can prove than, is by looking at the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Call SIMI if their a member of that organisation and tell them to investigate.

Or else you could investigate yourself and break it to a tabloid paper for a bit more excitement, just make sure your definitely right if your gonna do this!

Keith186 wrote: »
    just make sure your definitely right if your gonna do this!

That's what i'm trying to get across, but i seem to be taken up as a smart arse. I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

There are hundreds of other things on a car that i would be more concerned about than 11,000 miles.

I work in a garage, i'm a salesman,

Not having a go at you but at the end of the day if it's fraud it's wrong and dishonest and I'd be concerned about the people I'm buying the car off. If they clocked the car puropsely they probably try and cut corners in other places too like cheaper parts for servicing etc.

• Advertisement

Keith186 wrote: »
    Not having a go at you but at the end of the day if it's fraud it's wrong and dishonest and I'd be concerned about the people I'm buying the car off. If they clocked the car puropsely they probably try and cut corners in other places too like cheaper parts for servicing etc.

Ugh...

I'll say it once more to be clear.

I'm only trying to make sure the OP has direct evidence to prove his case before he goes around saying this dealer has clocked the car. I'm not trying to say they haven't, just the proof he has, i personally would not rely on.

I've been told a few minutes ago that the advertised mileage is on the clock as seen in person by a friend of mine, so there it is......that's what I "KNOW"
    As for proof well that's all in writing as an added bonus one of the PDC sensors was replaced 3 weeks ago by a main dealer, they keep records of work and mileage etc
    So it looks like the clocker garage has a few questions to answer come tomorrow.
    There are hundreds of other things on a car that i would be more concerned about than 11,000 miles. Colour, tax, nct, condition, how well it was looked after.......
    The car is NCT'd Taxed and was very well kept, why they took 11k off it all is beyond me, for all the grief they are about to get.[/quote]
    I work in a garage, i'm a salesman, i look after the internet side of things. I've often put in the mileage wrong on the cars, it can very easily happen. As mentioned above the whole km's, miles option on carbase can easily catch some one out.

kms and miles catching out a car salesman, a person who works around cars everyday!
    that salesman in fairness mustn't be very observant then.

Oh dear jesus, i was trying to be helpful to stop you making a mistake. Don't be childish and come back saying "that's what i "know" as if you've just accomplised something, as your only just after finding out that information after you made all your accusations. In future, whether you can prove yourself right or wrong in the end, get your information first, then make your accusations.

As for the kms and miles thing, there's an option next to the mileage you type in for either, and it's very easy to forgot to change it from kms to mile etc.

I've been told a few minutes ago that the advertised mileage is on the clock as seen in person by a friend of mine, so there it is......that's what I "KNOW"
    As for proof well that's all in writing as an added bonus one of the PDC sensors was replaced 3 weeks ago by a main dealer, they keep records of work and mileage etc
    So it looks like the clocker garage has a few questions to answer come tomorrow.
    I'd report them straight away. Don't inform either the garage or the SIMI in advance.
    kms and miles catching out a car salesman, a person who works around cars everyday!
    that salesman in fairness mustn't be very observant then.
    Happens all the time, i'm afraid

Oh dear jesus, i was trying to be helpful to stop you making a mistake. Don't be childish and come back saying "that's what i "know" as if you've just accomplised something, as your only just after finding out that information after you made all your accusations. In future, whether you can prove yourself right or wrong in the end, get your information first, then make your accusations.

As for the kms and miles thing, there's an option next to the mileage you type in for either, and it's very easy to forgot to change it from kms to mile etc.

ok ok :(
    I understand what your saying (cart horse, shooting myself in the foot and all that).
    My brother is a cop tellng him about it today and he said the same as you about the concrete evidence needed.

You're in the business so you would be the right fella to be advised by.
    As for the info I have well here goes.
    Copies of invoices of
    Sevices done
    Tyres fitted 2.5 months ago
    PDC sensor replaced 3 weeks ago
    these are all from the main dealer with mileage included and stamped.
    And of course a receipt from the trade-in again with mileage.
    I'd report them straight away. Don't inform either the garage or the SIMI in advance.
    I won't it'll be more of a direct approach.
    I just want to be sure they are nailed to the wall and insure there are no loopholes for them to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've seen so many mistakes from dealerships when it comes to advertising cars that I find it hard to immediately hop on the murder wagon on this one. But I've seen a few dodgy typos regarding BHP/MPG and suspicious mileages to know that this particular car might of been intentionally inputted wrong or just clocked.

So If I were you, I'd see it for myself. Sit into the vehicle and look at the clock. Then if I'm hungry I might get a free lunch courtesy of the garage for spotting the issue so that it may be amended ;)

edit: Actually since you created this thread and all, I think it's only fair you check out the car in person and let us all know what's on it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Was the car traded-in to the dealer who currently has the car for sale or was there possibly a middle-man involved?

If there's more than one party involved, it'll be very difficult to prove who actually did the clocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

doubt that, although that is most likely what they will claim

I thought my car had been clocked there a while back. Never thought anything of it when I was buying it, but then I started to look at the floor carpet and the wear around steering wheel, and i was getting suspicious, but i dont think so now.

But sometimes a look at the interior may be a clue if the mileage has seriously been decreased.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Get on to Consumer Affairs and the Gardaí with your suspicions and let them look after it. If you're sure enough that the car's been clocked then make the report. Nothing much may come of it as regards prosecuting the dealer, but at least it might stop some poor person handing over their hard earned cash for a clocked car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

did you trade in with the dealer who's currently selling it?

Advertisement