Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I know of a garage that clocked a car and is selling it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

A mate of time to me of his cousin who took delivery of a company car in January, put up mega miles and when the company folded by September, the car was returned to the dealer.

A few week's later, he spotted the car at a petrol forecourt and enquired of the owner how the car was going. "Oh, the ex-demonstrator model with low milage is perfect for what I want from it" said the (current) owner. When the previous owner informed the current owner of the car's previous history, they marched off to the local cop shop and six months later the garage was charged in court with clocking the car.

Proof is the key in cases like this but worth chasing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There's a lot of garages out there with, for example, 5 dark coloured 07 Mondeos.

Some will be lazy and use the photo from one of them to advertise them all.

Go and see the car, check the mileage and then, IF it's the same car with a mileage difference, report it to the Gardaí and Consumer Affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭nads

here 'OP' name or shame or don't even bother starting this thread, pure tease and possible troller here.

name and f*cken shame already, or get the hell out of here, utterly pointless without a name and shame, screw legal implications, do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

peanuthead wrote: »
    I started to look at the floor carpet and the wear around steering wheel, and i was getting suspicious, but i dont think so now.

But sometimes a look at the interior may be a clue if the mileage has seriously been decreased.

Completely unreliable in my experience. A woman with rings on her fingers, heavy makeup and heeled shoes could destroy a steering wheel, interior and carpets doing short hops that add up to low mileage. Someone else could be doing huge mileage and never put a scratch on the car.

OT but I think people get a bit too obsessed with mileage. It's not the be all and end all. I'd be more about the state of an engine that's done 3,000 miles a year than one that's done 10,000. There's so many people doing short hops with a cold engine and then when they're selling it, people think the low mileage is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

nads wrote: »
    here 'OP' name or shame or don't even bother starting this thread, pure tease and possible troller here.

name and f*cken shame already, or get the hell out of here, utterly pointless without a name and shame, screw legal implications, do it!

Nope, no naming and shaming. (as it would only get boards into trouble)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bagofspanners1

nads wrote: »

A troller! grow up will you, this isn't a witch hunt lad.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    Go and see the car, check the mileage and then, IF it's the same car with a mileage difference, report it to the Gardaí and Consumer Affairs.
    I'd look a bit strange if I went looking at a car I traded in, wouldn't it.
    steve06 wrote: »
    did you trade in with the dealer who's currently selling it?
    Yes.
    AudiChris wrote: »
    Was the car traded-in to the dealer who currently has the car for sale or was there possibly a middle-man involved?

If there's more than one party involved, it'll be very difficult to prove who actually did the clocking.
    No other party involved
    I've seen so many mistakes from dealerships when it comes to advertising cars that I find it hard to immediately hop on the murder wagon on this one. But I've seen a few dodgy typos regarding BHP/MPG and suspicious mileages to know that this particular car might of been intentionally inputted wrong or just clocked.

So If I were you, I'd see it for myself. Sit into the vehicle and look at the clock. Then if I'm hungry I might get a free lunch courtesy of the garage for spotting the issue so that it may be amended ;)

edit: Actually since you created this thread and all, I think it's only fair you check out the car in person and let us all know what's on it :D
    Well as I said the car was mine I traded it in, someone looked at the car yesteday and verified the mileage was changed.
    The garage is getting a visit from the Gardai this morning they have all the paperwork and I they reckon they have enough evidence.
    I'm just pissed off at the fact that a garage can possibly get away with these things, it's not on at all.

peasant wrote: »
    Nope, no naming and shaming. (as it would only get boards into trouble)
    I'm not putting any names here, what would be the point it's in the hands of the law now.

I'm not putting any names here, what would be the point it's in the hands of the law now.

I'm assuming since you "traded in" your old car, you got a new one from this garage?? What are you now going to do about that car? can you be sure it is what they say it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

At this point I wouldn't be worried about him selling your old car after he clocked it - I'd be more worried about the car you traded up to get... can you be sure that your new car isn't clocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

OP'squestion is;

I know of a garage in Dublin that has clocked a car and is selling it on their forecourt, what to do?

Answer - Report it immediately.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The National Consumer Agency have a great record in this area for getting dealers to say "sorry" and "I won't do it again". Unleash their full wrath on him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

javaboy wrote: »
    Completely unreliable in my experience. A woman with rings on her fingers, heavy makeup and heeled shoes could destroy a steering wheel, interior and carpets doing short hops that add up to low mileage. Someone else could be doing huge mileage and never put a scratch on the car.

OT but I think people get a bit too obsessed with mileage. It's not the be all and end all. I'd be more about the state of an engine that's done 3,000 miles a year than one that's done 10,000. There's so many people doing short hops with a cold engine and then when they're selling it, people think the low mileage is great.

Disagree there mate. I went to see an import 4x4 pajero (notorious for being clocked) about 2 yrs ago. Its was absolutely in bits inside.. The seller ( a garage ) claimed it had 45kms on it!! It was around a 93/95' cant remember exactly. Anyway after a 40 mile drive to see he did'nt exactly get a polite reception when he joined me on the forcourt to view it..

I do agree that mileage is'nt always an indicator of a good vehicle though. a car can do 40k ladened with tools and being dragged out of quarries or sites. Or another can do 100k long in run journeys and be serviced on the button..

I have to say id still look for a cleaner lower mileage car than a cleaner high mileage.. if that makes any sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

I know of a garage in Dublin that has clocked a car and is selling it on their forecourt, what to do?

How do I know it has been clocked, well the car was a trade in when the previous owner handed over the car the mileage was about 11,000 more than what it is being advertised at now, this person has proof of the proper mileage as well (service invoices etc).

We pay enough for cars, insurance, tax, fuel and running costs so why should we have to pay for some greedy garages dodgy dealings as well.
    I'm no busybody but in fairness I wouldn't like to buy a motor that was dodgy would you?

The garage in question has been around a few years so how many have they done before that!!

I'm not going to name names (yet).
    I just want to see what you petrolheads think should be done?

get the law, prove em guilty then name and shame, everyone in the trade will wash their hands of em

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Keep us updated on the situation OP, can't wait to hear the outcome of this.

I'm assuming since you "traded in" your old car, you got a new one from this garage?? What are you now going to do about that car? can you be sure it is what they say it is?
    At this point I wouldn't be worried about him selling your old car after he clocked it - I'd be more worried about the car you traded up to get... can you be sure that your new car isn't clocked?

I knew someone would ask that.

I got my new car checked by the AA, they took it away checked it out with a fine tooth comb and came back with a 6 page report on the car, history check, diagnostics, body work etc.
    Do you think I would've bought a car because it was shiny and drove well.
    I wouldn't buy a car without getting it thoroughly checked first.

I knew someone would ask that.

I got my new car checked by the AA, they took it away checked it out with a fine tooth comb and came back with a 6 page report on the car, history check, diagnostics, body work etc.
    Do you think I would've bought a car because it was shiny and drove well.
    I wouldn't buy a car without getting it thoroughly checked first.

well there are hundreds of people who buy on this basis every day and seeing as I don't now you from Adam, yeh, I have no reason to think you wouldn't do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Anan1 wrote: »
    What are the actual and advertised mileages? Sometimes it's obvious what happened, ie 100,000 miles to 62,000 miles = miles having been entered as kms.

yeh, it's funny how many car-dealers 'accidently' do that...

Tip: Always ring and confirm mileage *before* make that 2 hour journey to see a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

superjosh9 wrote: »
    yeh, it's funny how many car-dealers 'accidently' do that...

Tip: Always ring and confirm mileage *before* make that 2 hour journey to see a car.

One of the lads inside put in 144000 miles in as kilometres, and a lad rang, came down from Dublin to see it. Wasn't long leaving *Doesn't take the blame:o*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

peanuthead wrote: »
    doubt that, although that is most likely what they will claim

I thought my car had been clocked there a while back. Never thought anything of it when I was buying it, but then I started to look at the floor carpet and the wear around steering wheel, and i was getting suspicious, but i dont think so now.

But sometimes a look at the interior may be a clue if the mileage has seriously been decreased.

A clue would be if the car apparantly has low mileage but the pedal rubbers are brand new...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 magoo1234

its not illegal to sell a clocked car,however it is illegal to sell a clocked car without informing the new owner that the car has been clocked- the charge the gardai would bring is a deception charge-my mate got done

• Advertisement

magoo1234 wrote: »
    its not illegal to sell a clocked car,however it is illegal to sell a clocked car without informing the new owner that the car has been clocked- the charge the gardai would bring is a deception charge-my mate got done

He and anyone else who does it should get a swift kick in the nuts...........it's not on like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

He and anyone else who does it should get a swift kick in the nuts...........it's not on like.

The reason it's not illegal is because sometimes a car may need it's clock-cluster replaced or it's engine replaced, in which case the mileage on the speedo may not match the car/engine.
    In that case, you'd just have to make the customer aware of the issue and price accordingly.

What's the update on this bagofspanners1? Has the car been withdrawn from sale? Have you heard anymore about it?

AudiChris wrote: »
    What's the update on this bagofspanners1? Has the car been withdrawn from sale? Have you heard anymore about it?

Yes, the garage had 6 cars impounded including the one this thread is about.
    So far none of the paperwork has added up and 4 of the 6 cars have evidence of tampered mileage.

I was told the garage owner and two employees will face charges, I'm being told they will lose their dealership and possibly (depending on the courts) their licence will be pulled.

Any warranties given on cars sold previous to the investigation will be recalled, checked and any remaining warranty covered by the dealership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Down with dodgy dealers

Good work ;)

You did the right thing here - well done and respect to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Yes, the garage had 6 cars impounded including the one this thread is about.
    So far none of the paperwork has added up and 4 of the 6 cars have evidence of tampered mileage.

I was told the garage owner and two employees will face charges, I'm being told they will lose their dealership and possibly (depending on the courts) their licence will be pulled.

Any warranties given on cars sold previous to the investigation will be recalled, checked and any remaining warranty covered by the dealership.

Fair play to you. I wouldn't hold my breath too much on them facing serious charges or losing the licence though. The record on actually punishing car clockers is abysmal.
    Still well done on taking it all the way. The negative publicity will do a lot of damage to their sales even if they don't lose the dealership/licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is it ok to name and shame now that evidence has been provided?

+1 - Name and shame the feckers.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

+1 - Name and shame the feckers.:mad:

evidence seems to be there so that shouldn't be a problem

however ...

It's for the OP to decide if he wants to publish the name and thus maybe get into personal trouble with some disgruntled car (ex-)salesmen ...after all it was his trade-in that got the ball rolling and he might not want to expose himself to some people with a grudge at his front door.

Advertisement