Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2004 520i High Mileage

Options
  • 05-11-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying one but it has approx 100K miles on it. (I thought it was a lovely drive) - Should it be okay with a full service history or should I be watching for any problems in particular?
    Also, as they don't have a timing belt - at what mileage should the drive-chain(?) be replaced?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The engine in the 520i in question is a well proven engine and has shown itself to be a very reliable design. With proper maintenance, 100k is nothing, and it should hit another 100k with remarkable ease.

The rest of the E60 5 series has also proven to be reliable, naturally they do get minor electrical glitches every so often but that's true with any modern car with all the gadgetry in them these days, just make sure that the iDrive has had all the updates, as that shape 5 series was notorious for iDrive problems in early models like the one you're looking for but if it has had all the software updates(and there were a few IIRC) then iDrive should be fine.

Timing chains are designed to last the lifetime of the engine, having said that they often don't, but I'm not aware of timing chain problems with BMW engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

How would I check for IDrive updates - should this be in the service history?
    (It has a full history)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Check what work has been done to it, it wont be long before you will need new shocks and probably will need bushings changed too,which will cost a few bob if they havent been done

If its auto a gearbox fluid change should be done even thogh BMW claim there sealed for life.

Check is there much life left in the tyres them runflats are pricey............

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I love the theory of "sealed for life" gearboxes or timing chains that last the "lifetime of the engine". The logic is unimpeachable so long as noone questions the lifespan.

Advertisement