Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 hornet

Options
  • 05-11-2008 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

hi everyone i was planning on upgrading to a .223 but i cant afford to now so i'm stickin with my trusty hornet for another year at least, just wondering what price other hornet shooters here are paying for bullets because my local dealer was looking for 46 euro for a box of remington hollow points, just wondering where i could get them for cheaper or what sort of ammo are ye all using and how ye find it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

You did try Stakelums in Urlingford???
    I find he has the best prices around and your only down the road from him.
    He's about 25-30 minutes from me but thats where I shop even though there are 2 dealers here in Kilkenny city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

clivej wrote: »
    You did try Stakelums in Urlingford???
    I find he has the best prices around and your only down the road from him.
    He's about 25-30 minutes from me but thats where I shop even though there are 2 dealers here in Kilkenny city.

TBH Clive,

I find him dear. You should give Paul Halloran a shout, He's only 30min from Urlingford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I'd have to agree with jonty , Paul is hard to beat. Price is the reason I got rid of the hornet The ammo was a silly price. But if reloading was allowed in the morning I'd go the hornet again, 700 rounds from a pound of powder:D:D . Would you not consider a second-hand CZ delux and trade in the hornet as the CZ is a great little rifle and chances are it was only traded in for something with a heavy barrel as they don't wear out or break.
    FS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The last box I bought was nearly 10 euro cheaper and I didn't buy them that long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Called into the local garda today to see was there any updates on my licence for the new hornet,seems they will not give out a licence until "they inspect the secure gun cabinet and general safety of the premises"
    these were his exact words

I have no problem with this but is it the norm.

maca

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

macadam wrote: »
    Called into the local garda today to see was there any updates on my licence for the new hornet,seems they will not give out a licence until "they inspect the secure gun cabinet and general safety of the premises"

It depends on the district, the super and the firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

maca

yea that is the norm. I am in the process of getting a 12 ft/lb air rifle and a special branch man called to inspect the house. there would of been no inspection for a shotgun but because rifle is part of the title it is treated like a swift.

I don't think it's normal for the special branch to call at all normaly it the local crime prevention officer. and for a 12lb air rifle is that not a bit severe??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I don't think it's normal for the special branch to call at all normaly it the local crime prevention officer. and for a 12lb air rifle is that not a bit severe??

A bit severe is an under statement! My god the Garda never fail to suprise me. Sending special branch to a home over an air rifle!!

A retired friend of mine had a detective call round to look at his collection of antique flintlocks. At first the detective said he would need certs for all his collection. Then afew days later was told all was OK and certs were not needed as they were all antique.

Im looking to get all my guns moved to a club in the north. Im just sick and tired of been treeted like a criminal by the gardai. I just want to enjoy my sport without having to explain it at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

chem wrote: »
    A bit severe is an under statement! My god the Garda never fail to suprise me. Sending special branch to a home over an air rifle!!

A retired friend of mine had a detective call round to look at his collection of antique flintlocks. At first the detective said he would need certs for all his collection. Then afew days later was told all was OK and certs were not needed as they were all antique.

Im looking to get all my guns moved to a club in the north. Im just sick and tired of been treeted like a criminal by the gardai. I just want to enjoy my sport without having to explain it at every turn.

TII my friend!! This Is Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

chem wrote: »

I highly doubt it was the Special Branch, it was probably one of the district detectives doubling up as the Crime Prevention Officer.

The Special Branch was turned into the Special Detective Unit some years ago and from what I know is almost entirely based in Dublin. As far as I know they're an somewhat independent unit and wouldn't be at your local Super's beck and call for doing firearms security checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'd say it was a local detective alright. Special Detective Unit's firearms calls tend to be more of a headlines catching nature...

It's amazing the difference between districts and divisions. I don't know of anyone in our local club who's been asked if their place can be inspected before a licence is issued. The only instance I know of when one of the club members got a visit from a local guard was when the house was broken into. The local fella just wanted to have a look for himself and was happy with the circumstances. Said he needed to do this to tell the Super there was no problem with storage and no problem with issuing firearm certs for replacement guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

yea that is the norm. I am in the process of getting a 12 ft/lb air rifle and a special branch man called to inspect the house. there would of been no inspection for a shotgun but because rifle is part of the title it is treated like a swift.

I had to get my safe inspected for my 12 gauge shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

ormondprop wrote: »
    hi everyone i was planning on upgrading to a .223 but i cant afford to now so i'm stickin with my trusty hornet for another year at least, just wondering what price other hornet shooters here are paying for bullets because my local dealer was looking for 46 euro for a box of remington hollow points, just wondering where i could get them for cheaper or what sort of ammo are ye all using and how ye find it

I am shooting Hornady €22 for 25 (35grain) find them very good in the new, second hand ruger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i tried trading in the weihrauch for a .223, i looked at the cz rifles and they were nice guns but nobody would take a hornet as a trade in even though mines a lovely gun and in spotless condition the most i was offered was about 500 even though its worth nearly twice that, the hornet is doin its job for now so i'll hold on too it for now, as long as i find some good value ammo

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

IRLConor wrote: »
    I highly doubt it was the Special Branch, it was probably one of the district detectives doubling up as the Crime Prevention Officer.

The Special Branch was turned into the Special Detective Unit some years ago and from what I know is almost entirely based in Dublin. As far as I know they're an somewhat independent unit and wouldn't be at your local Super's beck and call for doing firearms security checks.

maybe "special branch" was the wrong terminology. He was a plain clothes detective in an unmarked car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Our CPO is a uniformed Sgt. who wears civvies and drives an unmarked car while doing his inspections.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Our CPO is a uniformed Sgt. who wears civvies and drives an unmarked car while doing his inspections.

Mine too.

Update on application,called into the local FAO this evening 19-11-08 , he is a great genuine bloke , my app is not even registered yet still up in the super's office as is most of the other applications he received since the end of august.
    He showed me his record (log) book going back to the last licence he issued on the last week in august, he has all his end of things up to date, the back log is between the district office and the printing office in the park . He said its a disgrace, that if he was to write them he'd have them done in jig time .

What is going on , a process that used to take 3 weeks is now taking at least 10 to 12 weeks if you are lucky.

Further update, contacted the super's office today 20-11-08 secretary told me licence was granted after two weeks and is gone to the park for printing, the hold up is in headquarters, she also said that there were at least 25 enquiries yesterday regarding firearm licences.

Twenty minutes after i spoke to the super's office , the local station rang me telling me licence was granted and the CPO was coming out too check the security of the premises . Things are looking good..

Maca

Just got the licence this evening, for the hornet and after waiting so long ive now want to change to a 223, local garda said its just amatter of amending the licence in the local barracks .

Is this right ? if it is I might try and trash a deal with the dealer, as the price of the ammo is a big saving.

Any opinions ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Stick with the hornet, as the .223, will be banned this time next year. ;)
    The hornet is a very good fox caliber and will, if looked after, last several life times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i was thinking the same but because of everyone talking of the ban i'm thinking of a 22-250 a lot of foxes dont come in close enough for my hornet and longest i ever chanced a shot was180 yards, i plugged him well but he was still breathing nd crawling around and needed another shot to finish him off so after that i decided if he cant finish him in 1 its not worth firing at so i stay with in 150 now but i want to be able to shoot longer distance so i really want to trade now when i get enough money, could take a while though coz i'm a broke college student:)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Keelan wrote: »
    Stick with the hornet, as the .223, will be banned this time next year. ;)
    The hornet is a very good fox caliber and will, if looked after, last several life times.

Who says .223's will be banned ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Who says .223's will be banned ??

KEELAN

He's just putting the cat in with the chickens.

Go with the 223 if you can, the Hornet is for girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Just got the licence this evening, for the hornet and after waiting so long ive now want to change to a 223, local garda said its just amatter of amending the licence in the local barracks .

Is this right ? if it is I might try and trash a deal with the dealer, as the price of the ammo is a big saving.

Any opinions ?

Yep, it is the done thing here where I live. I swapped my Hornet for a .223 with just a quick amendment to the licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

We were told they wouldn't ban pistols too :D Pistols first dreaded 223 next?

BOHICA :p

They wont make that swap in a lot of places and it looks like KEElan in a bit of a panic mongrel to lump the .223 in with the handguns!

Advertisement