Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FREE RSA ROAD SAFETY TEST

Options
  • 05-11-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

This is part of Irish Road Safety week. Ends in November if anyone wants to get their car checked out with Advance Pitstop.

Here is my account anyhow and was looking for some advice

I did the TEST in Galway. They told me that I needed the front left brake disk and pad replaced and also front shocks need to be done.

Cost:
    1 Brake disk/pad + labour = €200
    2 front shocks + labour = €220

Is this an ok price compared to other mechanics?

For some reason I want to confirm the faults with another mechanic as don't fully trust advance. Have heard some bad stories about them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

This is part of Irish Road Safety week. Ends in November if anyone wants to get their car checked out with Advance Pitstop.

Here is my account anyhow and was looking for some advice

I did the TEST in Galway. They told me that I needed the front left brake disk and pad replaced and also front shocks need to be done.

Cost:
    1 Brake disk/pad + labour = €200
    2 front shocks + labour = €220

Is this an ok price compared to other mechanics?

For some reason I want to confirm the faults with another mechanic as don't fully trust advance. Have heard some bad stories about them.
    Prices are a rip off. Most likely it's what your car might need and not what it does need!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They wanted to replace the front disc & pad on the left hand side only?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

macroman wrote: »
    Prices are a rip off. Most likely it's what your car might need and not what it does need!

+1

Anan1 wrote: »
    They wanted to replace the front disc & pad on the left hand side only?

Nope....... should only be done as a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

homer90 wrote: »
    Nope....... should only be done as a pair.
    You'd know they're only being picky with that one, I've never known anyone to replace the pads/discs on one side...you're playing with fire TBH as you car would pull like mad under braking :eek:

• Advertisement

im suprised they would actually say that .........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Yeah they said that.

They said that the front left brake disk was worn and best to replace the pad as well. They never mentioned the front right.

I replaced the two front disks and pads about 2 years ago. I only do about 6,000 miles a year so about 12,000 miles since they were replaced last.

Do disks/pads wear that fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Yeah they said that.

They said that the front left brake disk was worn and best to replace the pad as well. They never mentioned the front right.

I replaced the two front disks and pads about 2 years ago. I only do about 6,000 miles a year so about 12,000 miles since they were replaced last.

Do disks/pads wear that fast?

No they don't.

Money making scam.
    also, pads/discs should NEVER _ever_ be replaced unless they're being replaced as a pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

defo money making scam, they certainly do not have your best interests or road safety at heart, would imagine even if u knew ure car was perfect upon bringing in to them, they would make up some bu**sh*t about needing something so they could recoup dosh their "time for 15 min car test"

Might nip in today actually........................ for the laugh..

Car is / should be spot on, newish tyres , good bite in the brakes, steering geometry ok etc.........

Lets see what they say !:)

As mentioned already, if a small % of people fall for what they say after the test, their costs covered for providing this 'free' service !

Nothing free in this world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

"You hear that clunk? These wheels won't take a balance."

Sounds like a total scam to me. If you've a well cared for car and have no real reason to suspect anything is up with it, I wouldn't avail of this test at all. Advance are bound to try and make some money off most of the cars that come in. A free test might be handy for people who are too tight to get their car serviced regularly but other than that, I'd stay away.

The worst thing about it is it's an RSA sponsored scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

homer90 wrote: »
    Might nip in today actually........................ for the laugh..

Car is / should be spot on, newish tyres , good bite in the brakes, steering geometry ok etc.........

Lets see what they say !:)

As mentioned already, if a small % of people fall for what they say after the test, their costs covered for providing this 'free' service !

Nothing free in this world

It would be well worth putting in the car to see what they come up with. Especially if you're car is in good nick.

RSA are probably giving them some money as well to do the servicing

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The RSA probably aren't involved in any kind of scamming.

I would report that incident to the RSA though. Replacing a single disc and pad on the vehicle will make it more dangerous, not safer...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

seamus wrote: »
    The RSA probably aren't involved in any kind of scamming.

No of course not but if the sensible thing to do would be to make it an independent scheme. The obvious way is to use the NCT infrastructure.

A garage that sells brake pads is far more likely to tell you your pads are worn than one that doesn't.

Advertisement