Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left 4 Dead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

What is this boards group i hear of?, let me know of names so i can add you, cba to go through 30 pages on this thread :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its a boards group on Steam - have a look at the half-life forum, there's a sticky thread about it there.

I was in that epic forgot-to-call-the-rescue-helicopter game last night, great fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

got this game at the weekend on the 360

its forking brilliant! really surprised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How does one go about finding games within a group? I play Left 4 Dead most nights but I've no idea how to find anyone from the group...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

How does one go about finding games within a group? I play Left 4 Dead most nights but I've no idea how to find anyone from the group...

Well, if the group has servers attached to it, the servers should show up in-game in the menu.

You can also go to your Steam Friends, scroll to the groups at the bottom, expand the group and join someone who is already playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I just searched for the boards.ie group, then added anyone who had a history of playing L4D to my friends list. Most nights at least a few of them are online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I just searched for the boards.ie group, then added anyone who had a history of playing L4D to my friends list. Most nights at least a few of them are online.

I just started l4d,mainly gonna be playing it with friends so add me too,played with randomers and the game was terrible.
    My names Theodore on steam

mines a straight foward TerrorFirmer so feel free to add.

will be playing a bit tonight so will have a look around..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I play most nights - git_legion -

In game name is Pyro -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I was in two forgot-to-call-helicopter games last night. Dunno if any boardsies were in either of them. Funny stuff though, major facepalming involved :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I just got it and installed it and am impressed with the pace and sense of urgency it puts on you when you see the shotgun reloading and 10 more running at you :D

Shall delve in again later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just remember you can keep on melee attacking while you reload :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Just played versus mode properly for the first time tonight, and though I suck really badly as infected, it is a lot of fun. Smoker is evil!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Someone has too much time on their hands, genius!
    (possibly NSFW if you don't have headphones...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Thats already in this thread :)

Anyone got that Chain Smoker achievement? Supposedly you have to get the survivor all the way up to you, kill them, and then get another survivor. I can't see how you can do this unless you are playing against a server full of noobs. Even then they'd have to be blind to not notice me killing the first survivor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

are the people in this thread mostly playing on pc?

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah I'd say the majority are PC players.

As for the chain smoking achievement its more likely you would need to be knocked off the first victim without being killed, then retreat away and grab another when your tongue is recharged.

Azza wrote: »
    As for the chain smoking achievement its more likely you would need to be knocked off the first victim without being killed

what are the chances of that happening? If the person is close enough to knock you away, they are close enough to kill you. Most people shoot smokers anyway as the survivor doesn't take any damage when they are constricted.

Not very high but its already happened to me twice but unfortantly I caught the same person twice .

Trick is to be on a roof. If they only have shotguns and are at range the might just aim for the tongue and not you. Once the tongue is shot its not hard for the smoker on the roof to move back out of site and then line up a second catch. Works well on the alley outside the apartments on the first level of the No Mercy Campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

fairly sure I got the chain smoker achievement. (99% sure)

IIRC, you just have to drag a target long enough to stop them from being able to help themselves. When I got it, I dragged zoey and had the tongue shot, managed to duck back behind the roof ledge before I got shot, when the tongue recharged I hit francis as he came up in the elevator thing (outside, that alerts the horde and leads up to the veranda roof).

so i think its hit and drag for a few seconds, get away and then do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

As Azza said.

Get on a roof or something that gives you some guarantee of distance. Hopefully the survivors will melee the captured person, or shoot you enough for you to let go without killing you, retreat, then just hook up another one and you're away. That's how I got it anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got the chain smoker ability. If you are far enough away and your tongue gets knocked off you can retreat and get another shot of catching some one.

Why do people take shotguns?

They cant rescue you properly with them at range, they hit you constantly, and they cant spack out shoot when you get boomer puked. Very anti-team weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

Jumpy wrote: »

They cant rescue you properly with them at range, they hit you constantly, and they cant spack out shoot when you get boomer puked. Very anti-team weapon.

You can keep the horde at bay on your own with a shotgun till you have to reload, may not kill them all but it knocks them back 3-4 at a time at a certain distance while a uzi user can pick them off

I always use the auto one - though never the pump action one. Great for indoor sections, more stopping power - and much, much better against the Tank/Witch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I always use the auto one - though never the pump action one. Great for indoor sections, more stopping power - and much, much better against the Tank/Witch.

Funnily enough, I always take the pump action shotty: I tend to run out of ammo very quickly when I take the uzi.

I will take the M16 over the full auto shotty: better range, drops a zombie in 1-2 shots, if a bunch charge you: aim head height and spray left to right, bullets will oftern take out a few zombies behind the first batch. Sorts out most runs very quickly.

This might sound strange but does anyone feel the people TOO into team play mechanics dilute the fun? This refers to campaign more then Versus.

I love nothing more then climbing onto a tanker and frantically fighting off hordes of zombies left right and center in the Dead Air Runway Finale - but in several games I've played it's been so anal, people shouting orders on the mic, and rushing to the most easily defended spot on the map, right at the back, devoid of any sense of atmosphere or enjoyment - which in some maps totally ruins the fun and reduces it to shooting a rake of zombies at they come at you effortlessly.

I'm not saying NOT to use teamwork but it's entirely possible to still use teamwork and put yourself in deliberate hotshots to enjoy the zombie mayhem! I've had people shout at me, TK me, refuse to revive me just because I sometimes voice my opinion or leave myself in a situation where I can blast Zombies left right and center (I don't run off into the middle of a horde like a noob just to clear that up; more I like to climb onto tankers and stay within the focus of the scenario being played rather then running off into easily defended and generic spots).

Yeah some people are way too anal about it.

You bought the game and you have the right to play it the way you choose. I'm all for teamwork but some people just go mental when they are not listened to. The guy I normally play with gives orders and then expects myself and other to bend over backwards to accomplish them and if he gets into trouble you have 2 seconds to rescue him before he is going ape-**** for not saving him quick enough and for not covering him in the first place. Most of the time he is fine and afterwards he calms down quick but if he is persistent enough I go out of way to do the opposite of everything he says :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

This might sound strange but does anyone feel the people TOO into team play mechanics dilute the fun? This refers to campaign more then Versus.

I love nothing more then climbing onto a tanker and frantically fighting off hordes of zombies left right and center in the Dead Air Runway Finale - but in several games I've played it's been so anal, people shouting orders on the mic, and rushing to the most easily defended spot on the map, right at the back, devoid of any sense of atmosphere or enjoyment - which in some maps totally ruins the fun and reduces it to shooting a rake of zombies at they come at you effortlessly.

I'm not saying NOT to use teamwork but it's entirely possible to still use teamwork and put yourself in deliberate hotshots to enjoy the zombie mayhem! I've had people shout at me, TK me, refuse to revive me just because I sometimes voice my opinion or leave myself in a situation where I can blast Zombies left right and center (I don't run off into the middle of a horde like a noob just to clear that up; more I like to climb onto tankers and stay within the focus of the scenario being played rather then running off into easily defended and generic spots).

I understand what you are saying. I think the problem is that whle there are many ways to beat each finale/critical moments... there are some preferred ways to beat them. So for the dead air finale you run to the closet(?) and just shoot/melee until the plane is ready (breaking for a tank). While that gets you there it kinda lets the experience down. There shouldn't be any 'soft spots' that make defending easy. It makes the game a little sterile when you know THE easiest way to play.

Reminds me of the plasmids in Bioshock. They made some so overpowered that you only really used the other ones to give yourself some variety. But in the end you where purposely making things difficult for yourself.

Thing is, even the most anal plans can go to hell pretty quick, regardless of the planning and forethought. Smokers are a good example of screwing up a plan easily as they can drag you out of your safe zone and then your team mates are left with the dilemma of helping you or holding their position. At moments like that human instinct kicks in and people break from the plan.

Sure you can break from the norm and put yourselves purposely in harms way but then it isn't a surprise or confusing when it all falls apart as you planned to get swamped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Reminds me of the plasmids in Bioshock. They made some so overpowered that you only really used the other ones to give yourself some variety. But in the end you where purposely making things difficult for yourself.

Thing is, even the most anal plans can go to hell pretty quick, regardless of the planning and forethought. Smokers are a good example of screwing up a plan easily as they can drag you out of your safe zone and then your team mates are left with the dilemma of helping you or holding their position. At moments like that human instinct kicks in and people break from the plan.

Sure you can break from the norm and put yourselves purposely in harms way but then it isn't a surprise or confusing when it all falls apart as you planned to get swamped.

Things can go to hell in this game quicker than ANY other game I've played. That is certainly true :)

I think there a re a few tactics that work TOO well in this game though. Dead Air finale. Only got there twice and both times it was v.easy when we all just hid in the small room in the building with only one entry/exit.

Then last night (you were there L31mr0d) the barn finale. Now that was a different. It was NOT wasy at all. It was a plan for sure but you could get dragged out of the barn easy enough. Dead Air is a piece of p&ss compared to it which makes it fun. So just some bad map design decisions in Dead Air.

I do love this game though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Probably the reason why versus is the overall much better experience :)

Can't account for human ingenuity :P...or stupidity in some cases

If you want a STUPIDLY hard challenge, play Versus on a server with Expert hard coded.

I was on one the other day and no one got down more than a floor on the first map.

Infected are super tough, super numerous and if you get puked on you might as well be dead.

Not to mention if you get rescued by a shotgun wielder you will die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Was playing with some yanks last night and one guy in particular was screaming at me randomly to 'stay tight' and 'what are you doing man keep moving' etc he got on my wick to the extreme i decided to take action.

I picked up a gas cannister and went into a room by myself, closed the door and put the cannister down behind it. When he came to the room to scold me for doing my own thing yet again and opened the door i pinged the cannister and blew him to smithereens.

the following 2 minutes on the mic after the initial 'i cant believe you done that silent pause' was hilarious and so satisfying.:)

• Advertisement

Although I despise that type of action in the game, that was actually quite funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Was playing with some yanks last night and one guy in particular was screaming at me randomly to 'stay tight' and 'what are you doing man keep moving' etc he got on my wick to the extreme i decided to take action.

I picked up a gas cannister and went into a room by myself, closed the door and put the cannister down behind it. When he came to the room to scold me for doing my own thing yet again and opened the door i pinged the cannister and blew him to smithereens.

the following 2 minutes on the mic after the initial 'i cant believe you done that silent pause' was hilarious and so satisfying.:)

so you acted like a cock cause someone wanted you to play the game?

By the way, you CAN ambush the infected in versus. They cant see you if you remain still. Had some hilarious fun the other night on a server that had the mics of both teams open.

Where the **** did he go? I can only see three of them.. No, they must be huddled close together... screw it Im gonna puke on them

SURPRISE MOTHER****ER! *sound of boomer prematurely exploding out of range*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

0ubliette wrote: »
    No, in fairness, I think I know the type of "mic" player he's probably talking about; the incessant screamer who won't quit because nobody's playing the way he demands :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

If you want a STUPIDLY hard challenge, play Versus on a server with Expert hard coded.

I was on one the other day and no one got down more than a floor on the first map.

Infected are super tough, super numerous and if you get puked on you might as well be dead.

Not to mention if you get rescued by a shotgun wielder you will die.

According to the update last night...its now locked Verrsus into normal difficulty
    However, last night all the servers seemed to be fecked...couldnt connect to any for love nor money

• Advertisement

0ubliette wrote: »

LOL you must be one of 'them' some people seem to think that they have the right to scream at people for not playing the game the way 'They' want them to. If they dont like the fact that gamers will do their own thing now and again then they should create their own game....but then again people probably refuse to play as they are sick of some nimrod screaming at them.

pixelburp wrote: »
    No, in fairness, I think I know the type of "mic" player he's probably talking about; the incessant screamer who won't quit because nobody's playing the way he demands :D

I dont understand the screamers myself, funny they are in the public lobby hunting for games because their 'Friends' mysteriously are never on when they want to play:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

People like you make playing games on-line a frustrating experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey, I recently got torrents of verbal abuse in TF2 because some a-hole decided I (and the team) weren't playing "properly". Cue endless english-accented rantsthrough the mic. I tried reason, insults, and even actually doing exactly what he was demanding & still got abuse anyway.

I can totally sympathise with anyone who flips out to teach the screaming, bossy types a lesson. Not that it ever works mind you. There's a difference between constantly team killing & flipping out at someone who deserves it.

People like you make playing games on-line a frustrating experience.

Hang on a second, you have never played online with me so how would you know?

this was an isolated incident and i dont think i should have to listen to some 15 year old yank scream at me down the mic when im trying to play and be as helpful as i could so i decided to let him have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Hang on a second, you have never played online with me so how would you know?

You described in some detail what you did, that's how I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

They updated yesterday with "Finding a dedicated server when starting the game from a lobby is now faster and more reliable".

Anyone tried it, any better?

You described in some detail what you did, that's how I know.

Think what you like, i couldnt care less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    They updated yesterday with "Finding a dedicated server when starting the game from a lobby is now faster and more reliable".

Anyone tried it, any better?

Seems to be, only played a few games.

Was in a lobby with 3 others at about 2am.. and it just didn't fill up at all :(

I think it's a fair enough action, I get sick of them as well - strangely seems to be all English people, whenever I've met Irish people online it's always a right laugh, joke here and there, whereas with the English guys that do talk, they have this authoritarian tone....the last day I didn't even have time to do something like the above, I was playing and accidentally once fell down to the floor below, and another time was dragged down by a smoker, cue:

first: "FOR GOD SAKE TERRORFIRMER YOU ****ING NOOB WHAT ARE YOU DOING DOWN THERE"

second (I was dragged): "OH MY GOD...TERRORFIRMER AGAIN.... YOU UNBELIEVABLE NOOB WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING AT FOR GOD SAKE, TYPICAL WE GET STUCK WITH THE NOOB"

Then cue me being kicked by vote.

Aside from that I have to say haven't had too many bad experiences, especially not with Irish lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement