Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left 4 Dead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

They still down? was going to jump on for a quick game (was will inevitability turn into a 2 hour game :D).

edit: not tonight;
    steamwb3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

yeah not looking to good..hopefully itll be back up and running by tomorrow.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Anyone up for a game of co-op later? I'm looking to complete all the campaigns on expert, so if you are new to the game or have a few campaigns left to complete to get the "What Are You Trying To Prove" achievement send me a PM or reply here.

Most people seem addicted to versus atm so its hard to get a good coop game going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Haven't had a game in a couple of weeks. Might be up for co-op later. What time are you thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

L31mr0d wrote: »
    godda you marshbab00n :mad: I'd never done it before so I thought it would just launch me into the air.. but no, it launched me right off the side of the map :(

Funny, got told in college this morning I'm turning into a bit of a celebrity with threads popping up all over the place...

nice to see its true...

Not to mention the 50 messages a bloody day I get on the xbox for being the number 1 cod player in the world...

the stress.... its just..... so much to handle.... oh and the minigun thing was HI-LARIOUS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Anyone up for a game of co-op later? I'm looking to complete all the campaigns on expert, so if you are new to the game or have a few campaigns left to complete to get the "What Are You Trying To Prove" achievement send me a PM or reply here.

Most people seem addicted to versus atm so its hard to get a good coop game going.
    Haven't had a game in a couple of weeks. Might be up for co-op later. What time are you thinking?

Ditto...just back from work...logging into steam...now.

Finished No Mercy on Expert but that was after changing the difficulty mid level1.

kaimera wrote: »
    Ditto...just back from work...logging into steam...now.

Finished No Mercy on Expert but that was after changing the difficulty mid level1.

well I'll be on from around 6:30 pm onwards... I've already got No Mercy on Expert so I'm looking to get the other 3 finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'd say i'd be up for a game lads let me know what time

well I'll be on from around 6:30 pm onwards... I've already got No Mercy on Expert so I'm looking to get the other 3 finished
    score, I'll be there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

b_560x95.png

at citizengame we decided it was time for a server - just letting peeps know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I keep finishing the campaigns but it never registers I've beaten them because my computer is slow and is a bit late to join. Bit annoying to say the least.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I keep finishing the campaigns but it never registers I've beaten them because my computer is slow and is a bit late to join. Bit annoying to say the least.

just call a vote when you enter to restart the campaign

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thanks, will try and remember that.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Thats why i havent got any

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Yeah, I've had that problem too. Seems to happen to me if I even experience minor lagging/time out/connection difficulties. Not being awarded the achievement for completing a campaign on expert is very very frustrating. That's happened twice now, both after 3+ hour sessions. So, once I'm satisfied that I've gotten an achievement legit (and it doesn't register), I fake it in single player with creative use of cheats :)

3 of us in game atm...expert campaign

steam id is below, add as a friend and I'll invite in :)

first come I guess!

roflraep...mental campaign on death toll.

100% nuts game :D

Apologies all around btw...except you witness ;) and you billy :P

and yes, that is 3+ hours for the campaign...all was fine until the last chapter and the AI Director decided to be a total bitch!

fewest friendly fire incidents!

Although i did light the whole team on fire at the very start :)

ach.php?a=DOING%20A%20WITNESSMENOW&b=Kill%20all%20members%20of%20the%20team%20including%20yourself%20with%20a%20well%20placed%20molotov!&c=u&e=15&f=2

I doubt Leimrod will ever play with me again :pac:

• Advertisement

I doubt Leimrod will ever play with me again :pac:

lol, no it was good... I just felt bad you didn't complete it. I'll be up for doing the other ones as well. The finale of Dead Air is a lot easier than Death Toll

lol, no it was good... I just felt bad you didn't complete it. I'll be up for doing the other ones as well. The finale of Dead Air is a lot easier than Death Toll
    Drop an invite and I'm there today.

As long as I can try head.shot a witch on expert again :P

I'd be on for playing a game under a relentless hail of friendly fire. What time are you guys on for play at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I'd quite fancy doing an expert death toll run at some stage if anyone's up for it.

Except le1mrod... or whatever his name is... your spelling skills shock my very soul...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Are there any servers that could be setup to be associated witht he boards.ie group ?

Then the server would show up upon entering game in the right hand bottom corner, for anyone thats a member of PCZone group or others with a server it is quite handy for jumping straight into a server with ppl you know

yeah would be good if we could get some server associated with boards.ie group..keep having to connect to random ones with most people speaking different languages :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

IgsTer wrote: »
    yeah would be good if we could get some server associated with boards.ie group..keep having to connect to random ones with most people speaking different languages :(
    Well both Telgere and myself offered to associate our servers with the boards.ie group, but we can't do it unless the admins give us the group id.

You can use the server we have if you set your sv_search_key to darkkeep, its running versus.
    ie. before you start the game you need to have put "sv_search_key darkkeep" into the console before you start the game.

Hey sorry I couldn't reply today, been moving over all the family VHS tapes to avi. I'd be up for a game tomorrow though. Let me know what times yous will be on... except marshbab00n :D

Well both Telgere and myself offered to associate our servers with the boards.ie group, but we can't do it unless the admins give us the group id.

You can use the server we have if you set your sv_search_key to darkkeep, its running versus.
    ie. before you start the game you need to have put "sv_search_key darkkeep" into the console before you start the game.

Thatd be brillliant, because for anyone in the boards.ie group it would constantly be on their main menu so boardsies could jump in anytime :)
    Hopefully the admins allow it :D...well i dont see why they wouldnt...not their group..so GET IT ON !!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

KlinK is my name, if anyone wants to play. Mostly play expert. Haven't delved into the vs. yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Hell fire could you not set up a group and post the server and announcements etc if we cant get the admin of the boards group to do it?

Btw does anyone know how to get rid of show fps, i put it on before but cant get it off.

Also when you become a tank and you can see that at least 1 or 2 on the opposite team have molotov's do you wait and waste your tank bar or do you charge anyway and get creamed?

• Advertisement

yeah i think the boards.ie group is ran by people from dcu? i dunno..would be great if we could a get a hold of one of them in here..i would have tought they would have been in this thread already...maybe a pm to them on steam will get their attention :D

i think ive found your server ip so ill keep an eye on the gametracker and head on when theres a few playing already :)

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Hell fire could you not set up a group and post the server and announcements etc if we cant get the admin of the boards group to do it?

Btw does anyone know how to get rid of show fps, i put it on before but cant get it off.

Also when you become a tank and you can see that at least 1 or 2 on the opposite team have molotov's do you wait and waste your tank bar or do you charge anyway and get creamed?
    console -> cl_showfps 0

IgsTer wrote: »
    yeah i think the boards.ie group is ran by people from dcu? i dunno..would be great if we could a get a hold of one of them in here..i would have tought they would have been in this thread already...maybe a pm to them on steam will get their attention :D

i think ive found your server ip so ill keep an eye on the gametracker and head on when theres a few playing already :)

You can always use the force connect to select the server

sv_cheats 1;ms_force_dedicated_server l4d.darkkeep.com

or for Telgeres server

sv_cheats 1;ms_force_dedicated_server 85.234.148.43:27035

tbh creating a group doesn't help when it comes to ensuring you get the onto the server, you need to use the above or the sv_search_key to do that.
    The only advantage the having it in a group is that it lets you see it on the main page.

is it not possible to just type "connect *server ip*" into the console on the main menu to get onto the server?

You can indeed, assuming you don't want to use the lobby.

Itd be so handy though to have 1 or 2 servers on the main page that you could check before you start looking for lobbys or inviting friends

Setting up a boards L4D group is a great idea i think :)

And depends Atlas, tell your hunters to jump the ppl with the mollys,
    What I found also..was when the tank isnt used after 2 ppl, its gets taken over by the cpu...thus allowing for 4 special infected as opposed to 3

Anyone up for an expert co-op or versus game around 7:30 ish?

Game name is Billy Squibs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

kaimera wrote: »
    console -> cl_showfps 0

Cheers.

ill try those servers later after football, although im crap.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Ok so I got this yesterday, sitting down to play a bit at long last, what do I need to know?

50 pages is a lot of readin' when I just wanna shoot some zombies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Firstly, PC or 360 version? If PC, join the boards.ie steam group :)

Rule number 1 is stick with your teammates. People who go off ramboing it by themselves usually get pounced by a hunter or something really fast.

Avoid witches (the small crying female zombies). If you get too close to one or startle her by firing your weapon or shining your flashlight on her, she will go bananas and kick the sh1t out of you :)

Also, you can melee zombies away from you and reload at the same time.

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote: »
    Firstly, PC or 360 version? If PC, join the boards.ie steam group :)

Rule number 1 is stick with your teammates. People who go off ramboing it by themselves usually get pounced by a hunter or something really fast.

Avoid witches (the small crying female zombies). If you get too close to one or startle her by firing your weapon or shining your flashlight on her, she will go bananas and kick the sh1t out of you :)

Also, you can melee zombies away from you and reload at the same time.

PC!

Just joined the steam group, should probably play a bit offline to get used to it before ruining anyones games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Somethings I never really knew/noticed when I first played (besides, the obviously tips of 'stick close to your teamates')
    • Pipebombs attract Zombies. Throw them when in a jam or after being puked on by a boomer in a unfavorable position. Molotovs are excellent against the tank, as with all infected, once he's on fire he stays that way, slowly loosing his health.
    • Close doors behind you when possible to slow the Infected down.
    • Use Mouse2 to Heal teammates/give them pain pills when beside them if you have either and don't need them.
    • Use Mouse2 to melee with weapon, when fighting a lot of zombies this is invaluable as you can still reload while doing so.
    • Avoid the tank if he's near cars or movable objects. If any of these hit you as projectiles, you'll be incapacitated instantly. Use Auto-Shotgun against the tank whenever possible.
    • For shooting zombies far away, use your pistols - unlimited ammo and quite accurate.
    • Turn off your flashlight to sneak past large groups of zombies when possible, and also to avoid startling the Witch. If there's Infected behind you in Versus too close for comfort, turn off your flashlight, crouch down and wait/sneak around in a dark spot. You will be invisible to them and they'll probably walk into you without realizing, and will be easily killed. Works especially well in levels like the first part of No Mercy.
    • If you see cans of gasoline or butane canisters lying around, these can be picked up and placed wherever you want them and them ignited by shooting them, invaluable for defending areas. (and again, for hurting the tank/drawing him into traps)

They all sound pretty obvious but some of them wouldn't even occur to you until you've been playing a few days. The first day I played, I was dead within about 30 seconds after shooting the witch. :D

-Sneak up to the witch, and melee her with your weapon, kills her in 1 shot
    -If a tank comes, stand still, he can only see moving objects
    -Boomer bile is considered a delicacy, do your best to get spat on as often as possible

Just stick to them 3 and you'll be ok ;)

Aside from them

-Just stick with your teammates..should be rule no.1 !!!!
    -Melee ftw !!...seriously...its ridiculous...back into a corner..and melee....hunters will be blocked, smokers toungue will be ineffective...if there are 2-4...they dont have a chance
    -Dont shoot the boomer..unless he's at a distance
    -Ye dont have to shoot the smoker to free a teammate, just melee your teammate instead
    -Aim increases as you crouch
    -You become invisible if you crouch with your flashlight off..seriously...your outline won't show to zombies
    -Don't shoot the cars that have an alarm...even if a smoker or hunter is standing by them
    -Get in the safe house !!

Zombies

-As hunter...crouch...then just pounce about the place...you can jump off walls n stuff..jump..then jump again etc
    -As hunter, if you jump into fire and pounce someone..you do double damage
    -Smoker picks off the person at the back of the group
    -Try work as a team..easier said then done, Boomer...then hunters and smoker
    -Boomer is the most important Special infected, dont waste him
    -Try spawn in FRONT of your enemy, not behind..especially as boomer..they can hear you
    -If your too far behind......run further away...you can then respawn in front of them...you also regain your full health this way
    -You dont have to be far away to spawn...just out of view..simple crouch and hide behind an object or around a corner..and spawn when theyre near..instead of alerting them by spawnin early and belching everywhere

Add ppl you enjoyed playing with to your friends list
    When you start playing as a team with ppl who play the same way..it is much better
    I play in a group of about 14, where everyone plays properly...its excellent...so much more enjoyable.....saves me so much stress :P

Played my first game there, think it was No Mercy... the hospital one? Almost got to the roof when my system decided to blue screen on me!!

Think its over heating so have to solve that other wise I might never finish a proper game :mad:

I did like what I had played so far, even with 3 randomers we mostly stuck together as a team apart from 1 or 2 odd times people wandered off. Only died once at the hands of a tank so I can live with that!

Hope to get a few more full games in, seems to be a damn good game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

New system? BSODs are quite ghey. Check that there is nothing interfering with the fans and if possible use a program to log and monitor the GPU temp while in game. You should be able to get the specific GPU boiling point online.

Oh, and anyone playing with Azriphale, give him a break, he has a steep learning curve!!

Just tell him to say that he's new..and to give a hand :)

You come across some amazing personalities in L4D !!!

I've this one guy in my friends list..a Latvian called NUT, honestly.,..I only play with him because he is comedy GOLD !!! :p:pac:

Screaming everywhere...he sounds dutch....just sentences like

"OH FOCK.....you.,...medic...take..pack..medic..you..now...take..pack...GAWD!!! "

Ye know the type :P

Atlas_IRL wrote: »

While we wait for the boards.ie group admins to get their act in order I've created a new public group boardsies (, darkkeep is private gentlemen's club and most of you riff raff don't have smoking jackets).

I've assigned the our l4d server to the group which is public. If Telgere wants to assign his server to it as well I can pm him the group id. I've changed the search key to boardsies as well.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/boardsies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

While we wait for the boards.ie group admins to get their act in order I've created a new public group boardsies (, darkkeep is private gentlemen's club and most of you riff raff don't have smoking jackets).

Maybe it might have been an idea to message one of the admins?

If someone wants to be an admin of the boards.ie group send Freaky Drunk a steam message, or PM me here. I've PM'd the group id number to hellfire and telgere, anyone else wants it let me know.

Grand job, I'll delete the other one since it's not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nice one, I see your server appearing when I start L4D now Rev :)

Advertisement