Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left 4 Dead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

The sv_search_key is bugged

Use sv_cheats 1;ms_force_dedicated_server 85.234.148.43:27035 before starting search and it should dump you to the nom nom server. (note it has to be on the map you have selected in lobby)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Cool good job lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Score...now a co-op server would be mint running expert Dead Air 24/7 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'm happy to run my server as coop, if ppl want.
    tbh prefer it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm happy to run my server as coop, if ppl want.
    tbh prefer it myself.

Is it not possible to host both a coop and versus game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

whitetrash wrote: »
    Maybe it might have been an idea to message one of the admins?

If someone wants to be an admin of the boards.ie group send Freaky Drunk a steam message, or PM me here. I've PM'd the group id number to hellfire and telgere, anyone else wants it let me know.

I thought it wouldve been just as well to have a boards.ie group that solely played Left4Dead

Sweet, just went in and I can see them there alongside my PCZone ones :)

Non Non and Monaghan Muchies :P....unfortunately the versus is full though :(

Default for nom nom server is no mercy vs. If you are looking for another map just pm me on steam or boards and ill change it.

Starting a vs game now if you are interested.

Servers arent showing anymore :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Mein Gott there are so little VS servers on the serverbrowser. Just played me first (i think) game of expert Co-Op, fairly hard. We died and then we died some more. Damn tank.

• Advertisement

The lobby leader can just change it though cant they at the beginning anyways, so its not big deal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

good work on getting the servers associated..havent went on yet..but should be alot easier to get a game now thats not just with random players :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Seantheman wrote:
    Servers arent showing anymore
    There seems to be a bit of lag before they show up on the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

Mein Gott there are so little VS servers on the serverbrowser. Just played me first (i think) game of expert Co-Op, fairly hard. We died and then we died some more. Damn tank.

You need to save your Moltovs on expert :)

It's possible to host both I think, just change the map if you want to do a coop

Theres more vs servers in the custom section of the serverbrowser. Tis good to know. I dont think im that much of a nib anymore, been doin some good killing on infected. Some guys and dolls are an atrocity to play with, whether calliing you names over the mic or just completley sucky.

I dont like the automatic side change though on VS maps, but its gotten me accustomed to being a survivor(sp?). They'd want to hurry up and turn down the beatings the tanks give, fix the exploits and get rid of that room by the elevator and buy me a mic!

/me goes to check on status of custom maps! MALL FTW!

Edit: It seems there is custom maps.
    wndi2ygymqhvqxpb1zgw.jpg
    and
    http://forum.l4dmaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41

Heres what I'm hoping the next patch(s) will change/add
    • Get rid of the glitches and blockable rooms/areas in versus. Or make them destructible :D would be hilarious to have a team crouched in the closet, only for the wall around them to be broken down
    • Allow for voting on the difficulty in versus (versus on expert is hilarious :D)
    • Allow for voting on whether you can choose which special infected you spawn as (imagine non stop boomers :D)
    • Add different versus modes (it would be good to have the option to respawn team mates like in coop, and maybe have the score based mainly on how fast you complete the level (telgere would appreciate this ;)), also a deathmatch mode would be good and would make it a lot easier for the community to develop maps)
    • Make the smoker better (he's weak, slow, does little damage, and easily defended against, maybe they could make it so you have to kill the smokers rather than merely being able to melee the survivor to free them, also they should replace his melee attack with maybe a greater range radial tongue whip, that hits all survivors in range)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Heres what I'm hoping the next patch(s) will change/add
    • Allow for voting on the difficulty in versus (versus on expert is hilarious :D)
      (he's weak, slow, does little damage, and easily defended against, maybe they could make it so you have to kill the smokers rather than merely being able to melee the survivor to free them, also they should replace his melee attack with maybe a greater range radial tongue whip, that hits all survivors in range)

I disagree with being able to choose your own infected, four boomers would mean constant horde, 4 hunters would be a I win button.
    And smoker rules, stop thinking of him as a dragger from the tops of buildings, think of him as a dragger down from buildings. He is the ultimate team splitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

[*]Get rid of the glitches and blockable rooms/areas in versus. Or make them destructible :D would be hilarious to have a team crouched in the closet, only for the wall around them to be broken down
    A must change !
    [*]Allow for voting on whether you can choose which special infected you spawn as (imagine non stop boomers :D)
    Not so sure about that. Imagine 4 hunters ? Game could be over in seconds.
    [*]Add different versus modes (it would be good to have the option to respawn team mates like in coop, and maybe have the score based mainly on how fast you complete the level (telgere would appreciate this ;)), also a deathmatch mode would be good and would make it a lot easier for the community to develop maps)

I'd like to see a mode in versus where getting there quickly is NOT the best way to score big. Weakest part of verus imo is the fact that its rush rush rush.
    [*]Make the smoker better (he's weak, slow, does little damage, and easily defended against, maybe they could make it so you have to kill the smokers rather than merely being able to melee the survivor to free them, also they should replace his melee attack with maybe a greater range radial tongue whip, that hits all survivors in range)
    [/LIST]
    Agreed.

Love to see all maps in versus. Maybe a new map ? Maybe a new infected ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I dont like the automatic side change though on VS maps, but its gotten me accustomed to being a survivor(sp?). They'd want to hurry up and turn down the beatings the tanks give, fix the exploits and get rid of that room by the elevator and buy me a mic!

I think Leimrods ideas are all pretty good and need implementing, except maybe the choosing of infected class. I do think though, a limited form would be good: for example, you get to choose between 2 assigned infected - I hate spawning as something like a smoker in a tight indoor level, next to useless in most cases.

I definitely agree that it should be a case of killing the smoker rather then just breaking the tongue as well, or at least require much more force to break it, but other then that Smoker is OK. It wouldn't necessarily have to be the tongue, but say - if he was designed to be as fast as a hunter for easy escaping, but with the tongue. That would be a good compromise.

Tank definitely doesn't need any changing, it's very easily killed by a good team and represents a fun challenge. If he was made any weaker, it wouldn't even be a challenge with a good team. One thing that does annoy me - even when I'm playing as the tank - is the ease of which you can kill people in levels like the opening of No Mercy. I killed the entire team the last day by hitting them with a car in the alley, as that's where I met them. Was kinda annoyed, took the fun out of it a little....they could maybe fix that so that it drastically reduces health rather then instantly incapacitate.

An awesome game mode would be some kind of horde survival i.e you play against never ending, increasingly large hordes until you're all dead, with scores for how many killed, acheivements, accuracy, and so on.

• Advertisement

I disagree with being able to choose your own infected, four boomers would mean constant horde, 4 hunters would be a I win button.
    And smoker rules, stop thinking of him as a dragger from the tops of buildings, think of him as a dragger down from buildings. He is the ultimate team splitter.

there are a lot of areas, especially for most of blood harvest, where the smoker is useless. His smoke trail can be seen from miles away, he can't drag anyone more than a few feet into the trees before someone melees them free. Hes too slow to keep up with the survivors, he's too tall to blend in with a horde after a boomer and even if you do manage to sneak around the back of them his melee attack does little damage. He also makes so much noise, and leaves such an obvious trail that even if you do manage to get one pitiful melee attack in he'll be killed outright.

Yes he's good at splitting up the team, but the times when you can actually do this are few and far between. I sometimes see people as smokers just standing, waiting, for ages, for someone to, by chance, walk by so that can be dragged down. In this time they could of spawned twice as a hunter and done 10 times the damage. I'm not saying they should take away his abilities, as on occasion (especially the No Mercy finale) he is excellent to have, rather they should give him other ones to use where dragging isn't a good option. Like the tongue whip I mentioned, or maybe have the smoke cloud that explodes when he dies be toxic and harmful to the survivors. They could also make it so that the smoker can self destruct when his health drops below a certain HP, creating a blinding, toxic, smoke cloud.

Also, yes allowing the infected to choose their zombie would unbalance it, but it would also be a lot more fun imo. As it stands you know what to expect a lot of the time, not knowing if 4 hunters are coming or 4 boomers would add a new level of difficulty to it. They could also award different points for killing different zombies, so, boomers and hunters could have the most points, so if you choose to continually spawn as them the other team will get a lot more points by killing you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Smoker is fine just the way he is, if you have trouble using him you just need to play more tbh.

smoker can:

A) pull people back the way they've came slowing down the team AND splitting them up. (with certain locations like when they have to run along the roof of the warehouse you can stop the survivors moving forward indefinitely)

B) smoker can attack from rooftops, keeping himself relatively safe.

C) the real thing NO ONE realises with the smoker is that he ISNT meant to do any damage ON HIS OWN (even his melee attack is heavily reduced and does next to nothing)

how to do EXTREME damage with the smoker:

1: Pull survivors off a large drop (falling damage can instantly down them on occasion).

2: Teamwork! Pull a survivor away while a hunter runs in and right clicks, like your very own pinata! (you can incap a survivors in SECONDS with this method)

3: pull away a survivors thats been boomered (he cant fight back against the zombs and they quickly punch them to death)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the patch from valve has been announced for this week now. About time !

They said the reason for the long wait was because they didn;t want to drip feed fixes.
    Sounds like they have fixed allot. What exactly...we will have to wait.

Looking forward to some really fun game this weekend though !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it's just far too easy to melee the smokers tongue away. They should change it that you can get hit by the tongue even when meleeing. then the only way to break free is to kill the smoker or have a team mate melee you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

An awesome game mode would be some kind of horde survival i.e you play against never ending, increasingly large hordes until you're all dead, with scores for how many killed, acheivements, accuracy, and so on.

Instant win!

It would be fun

Fix the power or melee !!!

Right Clicking is ridiculous !!.....if you get 2 sat in a corner meleeing its near impossible to jump them as hunter or smoker them

And agree with L31mR0D on everything...except the expert versus....you already get some b00ns who spray and cause massive friendly fire damage.
    Friendly fire damage on expert is ridiculous...before the last patch came out....expert on versus was always over within less than 2 minutes

Smoker is fine just the way he is, if you have trouble using him you just need to play more tbh.

god, what a fanboy thing to say :rolleyes: reminds me of the controller versus KB&M debate.

Anyway, yes I agree the smoker needs to be helped by the other zombies, but this shouldn't be a requisite. If you look at all the other special infected they can do a fair bit of damage without any help (boomer can use a horde, hunters melee is strong, tank, albeit slow, can throw rocks and use objects to kill people). Like retr0 said, I think the tongue should start doing damage the second you trap a survivor. They also need to give something extra to his melee attack so that he doesn't have to always rely on the other infected. Make it a radial whip so he hits all the survivors when close to them or allow him to cough a cloud of smoke. As it stands he has no worthwhile secondary attack.

Also, expert versus would be crazy (played a round myself) but it was also hilarious. Yes the rounds where over quick, but it should at least be an option and not completely locked. It would be like the instagib mode in UT. You could also set it so that it goes through all 4 campaigns to give it a little more length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

• Get rid of the glitches and blockable rooms/areas in versus. Or make them destructible :D would be hilarious to have a team crouched in the closet, only for the wall around them to be broken down

Any corner can be like a closet with 4 melee spamming survivors.

I'd like to see some sort of stamina bar or recharge time for the melee attack.

• Advertisement

Of course the smoker should always need help, its an utterly team based game...

if a hunter pounces on his own he will die and do no damage... (well maybe 5-10)

if a boomer booms on his own he does no damage...

you see where I'm going...

if it only takes one punch to knock off and stun a hunter... or one punch to stop a boomer from vomiting why should the smoker get special treatment??

theres pros and cons to every class, hunter does more damage but he can't attack safely from a rooftop... if they changed the smoker the way your saying it would give it an unfair advantage... smoker doesn't need to be changed, they just need to fix all the gamebreaking glitches!

I never, ever fail to do serious damage using the smoker, I could show you plenty of stuff you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I took a peek on the Darkkeep server last night but was empty. Am trying to get the "all 4 campaigns on expert" achievement but have not been able to beat Blood Harvest yet.

if a hunter pounces on his own he will die and do no damage... (well maybe 5-10)

but he doesn't have to pounce he can melee attack on his own and do 10 damage with each hit

wrong, the Boomer can call a horde, which can be huge depending on how many survivors he hits and do plenty of damage without any help

You see where i'm going? Both the other infected have the ability to do substantial damage without requiring the others to always help.
    I never, ever fail to do serious damage using the smoker, I could show you plenty of stuff you can do.

lol... :D I've played with you and know this is a lie. Yes the smoker works well from a roof top or when the survivors are out in the open and distracted. But take the sewer levels, or indoor levels, or the levels with trees, the smoker is useless. Even with a combined boomer and hunter attack it is to easy to melee someone free from a smoker (which then takes 30 seconds for him to recharge) He needs a better secondary attack to use in areas where he can't effectively drag a survivor without them quickly noticing or helping

Lol no need to be a spastic just because I'm disagreeing with you.

The smoker... will not.. be changed... because its balanced... get over it :D

Lol no need to be a spastic just because I'm disagreeing with you.

what? :confused: haven't heard someone say that since primary school, lol.

anyway, I've shot off an email to Gabe Newell asking him if they will ever be changing the balancing of the Smoker, amongst other things. I'm well aware he probably will never change, there's too many fanboys out there to let that happen (see Starcraft) who'd rather see a game stagnate then evolve. But I can see them increasing the damage done by his melee attack, at the very least making it more difficult to melee away a drag attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I played on a server once that was expert versus, was over very quick, boomer bile creams everyone cause the horde wipes everyone out quickly along with the hunters. Has anyone played any of the custom maps yet?

ALso i agree about the smokers secondary attack being too weak but at the right time the primary attack can mess a team up bad. Being pulled from a building or corridor can get you killed so quick when you have a good distance to get back to where you were on your own.

• Advertisement

Of course the smoker should always need help, its an utterly team based game...

So by this statement id assume...a smoker isnt going to do any damage on his own

I never, ever fail to do serious damage using the smoker

But obviously ...from this statement.....you are above your own theory and of course...NEVER fail to do SERIOUS damage

Decide on one or the other tbh

All people need to do is learn how to use the smoker. Also I'd say I'm far from being a fanboy for this game... it's practically broken with glitches.

Itd be very unfair if the smoker did instant damage, or if you had to shoot the smoker to free them, because it's very easy to drag one at an angle where you physically can't be shot.

I don't really see many balance issues since they fixed the boomer exploits, if you play with a good team... and are experienced at the game you won't have a problem with the smoker.

a few weeks ago before I learned the tricks I know, I would have completely agreed with you about the smoker

oh and by help I mean at the very least the boomer doing his job, you cant melee off a smoker if the team is blind and theres a wall of zombs in the way :D

(ps. I dont fail with the smoker because myself, and the people I play with are teamplayers so both statements are completely valid)

(ps. I dont fail with the smoker because myself, and the people I play with are teamplayers so both statements are completely valid)

ah hahahaha :D funniest post all day. I don't think I've ever played in a match with you where anyone would call you a team player. I seem to remember at one point we had pressed the button for the lift and instead of helping us you ran off in the opposite direction to hide until WE had killed the horde.

ah hahahaha :D funniest post all day. I don't think I've ever played in a match with you where anyone would call you a team player. I seem to remember at one point we had pressed the button for the lift and instead of helping us you ran off in the opposite direction to hide until WE had killed the horde.

Lol thats because I was antagonizing you and max.... and it was very... very funny. We should play a proper game sometime

feck me, I wonder how many of these known Bugs, Glitches and Exploits will be fixed in the next patch. I'd say most of us will have experienced a lot of them already.

http://woodio.net/gaming/4-gaming/22-huge-left-4-dead-bug-glitch-exploit-list.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Gg last night, btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Says speedy gonzales. :P

Gg last night, btw!

Yeah twas good. Dead Air is a lot more difficult on expert, you can pretty much just run through it on any other difficulty level. We had a good team though, that pubby wasn't bad either. My heart was beating like crazy after we killed that 2nd tank at the finale. I hate when you get that close to finishing and then die by being smokered or puked on just as you are jumping into the rescue vehicle. You didn't notice, but I very nearly hit you with the hunting rifle when I was shooting at the horde, lol, man that would of been a kicker if I'd incapped you just as you where stepping into the back of the plane :o
    Jumpy wrote: »
    Says speedy gonzales. :P

lol, I guess telgeres tactics have rubbed off on me :D If you play with people long enough you'll find that everyone has there own quirks.

Server running more like a reg steam server now. Doesn't dump people back to lobby after finishing a campaign so hopefully will keep it a little more active.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Of course, it's full (VS) and I can't get in to it, as opposed to last night when I was the only soul on it for 20 mins before abandoning :(

Joined a custom Vs this morning and there were a load of Americans in it. I wouldn't mind but i set my latency to <150 in the browser. If that wasn't weird enough i had three green bars and they had one red bar for ping!!

Nice bunch they were, didnt once complain about the lag or get pissy at they're teammates. They could have joined a better server but they chose to remain and zombie killing ensued. I didnt notice any "jumps" in my teammates or any other sign of lag.

Also, I love this game, thought it was "meh" after getting over the initial wow factor and realising how many assholes play the game. But i suppose you can ignore the asssholes. And there are many nice people out there that dont get pissy that you might have shot when you should have melee'd (<---someone take the piss) or wasted/got spotted as a boomer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Quick question from a Left 4 Dead (kinda) newbie. When you're playing as the Hunter - how the hell do you do those huge leaps up in the air? I can never manage them.

I'm playing on Xbox360 btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

You need to crouch first, then a bar will charge. When full you can jump. It re-charges much faster after your first leap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

grizzly wrote: »
    You need to crouch first, then a bar will charge. When full you can jump. It re-charges much faster after your first leap.

Thanks dude.

And here was me thinking that bar was for the attack. Bah! I suck at games..... but they're so fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement