Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left 4 Dead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

We had a decent game on the boards server last night :)

Question though....and it annoys me greatly,

Why is it when you join a server random, public or even friends, 4 ppl will generally already have selected Zombies ???
    You get to play them in the 2nd round anyways.....does anyone else here just prefer to always go random to make it interesting ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

This is something they need to modify, maybe by alternating which team is survivor first as the levels change. If you're infected first you see where the weapons are, where the tank appears, and where the witch is for when you are the survivors in the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The Lambs to slaughter achievment doesn't show up in your steam stats. it only shows up in game.

Its a bug so id imagine that it will be fixed soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

SeantheMan wrote: »
    We had a decent game on the boards server last night :)

Question though....and it annoys me greatly,

Why is it when you join a server random, public or even friends, 4 ppl will generally already have selected Zombies ???
    You get to play them in the 2nd round anyways.....does anyone else here just prefer to always go random to make it interesting ? :)

because nobody wants you on their team Sean, so when they see you starting up L4D they all join the same team so that you can't join them :D :pac:

but seriously, the first 4 into the lobby will usually pick infected, for the advantages listed above by Toolbag, and also because the game might have to be opened to the public, so its to stop pubbys from getting onto your team. Also, sometimes vent is used, so whoevers in the same channel will go on the same team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I encountered my first cheats last night.

At the start of subway on no Mercy, spawned as humans. Right at the start tank spawns(about 3 seconds after leaving saferoom). Didn't think anything of it, seen it before. Tank takes out 2 team mates, other was a idiot and stayed upstairs to get hunter pounced. I killed the tank and the boomer+ smoker+hunter trying to get me, manage to pick up the 2 other people and bam.

I died. Just a random death.

The two other lads say "wtf" and move on.

30 seconds later the next tank spawns. Team dies. Seems odd.

So we spawn as infected. Expect a tank in first few seconds and nothing. Got a smoker at start and nearly killed one of the Humans. When dead, my respawn timer jumps from 20 to 120 seconds. Still no Tank for us.

At this stage I'm really getting pissed off.

Then our Tank spawns halfway through, then he dies. Before he even sees them. While this is happening I'm watching one of them track me moving before I spawned.

I really hoped this would be one of those games where people didn't bother cheating, I can take exploits but this really annoyed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I encountered my first cheats last night.

*Tale of sadness and woe....

I really hoped this would be one of those games where people didn't bother cheating, I can take exploits but this really annoyed me.

There was supposed to be an auto melee hack, guy in a game I was playing couldn't be pounced (Or at least looked like it) and somebody typed it very loudly.

yeah. im sick of going onto servers with the cheats enabled, wish there was some sort of filter list. shame.

yesterday i went onto a server and saw one guy throw four grenades within 5 seconds. crazy. i just left the server. dont want to waste my time on these types of servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

L31mr0d wrote: »
    but seriously, the first 4 into the lobby will usually pick infected, for the advantages listed above by Toolbag, and also because the game might have to be opened to the public, so its to stop pubbys from getting onto your team. Also, sometimes vent is used, so whoevers in the same channel will go on the same team.

Yeah Sean...what he said :)

leimrod...whats vent ? google says its voice chat but l4d has voice chat already !?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

There probably is via the openserverbrowser option

• Advertisement

brianon wrote: »
    Yeah Sean...what he said :)

leimrod...whats vent ? google says its voice chat but l4d has voice chat already !?

yeah but on tels server he usually has open comms between teams in versus, so you can actually shout "FAIL boomer!!!" at the other team, rather than binding it to a key. To have team only chat you use vent. Works good I think, as some times you want to talk to the other team at the end of a match or before the next one starts. It can also be used for when Marsh wants to grief the other team and play Benny Hill music when a tank is attacking, lol :D

OK, so who is up for a game tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

yeah but on tels server he usually has open comms between teams in versus, so you can actually shout "FAIL boomer!!!" at the other team, rather than binding it to a key. To have team only chat you use vent. Works good I think, as some times you want to talk to the other team at the end of a match or before the next one starts. It can also be used for when Marsh wants to grief the other team and play Benny Hill music when a tank is attacking, lol :D

Benny Hill music ? Now thats a damn fine idea :)

So on an alltalk server you would use l4d push to talk option to lol at the opponents or whatever .... and vent at all other times to talk to your teamates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

brianon wrote: »
    Benny Hill music ? Now thats a damn fine idea :)

So on an alltalk server you would use l4d push to talk option to lol at the opponents or whatever .... and vent at all other times to talk to your teamates?

HAHA i remember he was playing that one round is gas. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

OR - You could be on a local server with Marshbaboon and he might feel that there isnt enough witches around.

Killing 100 or so witches is tougher than it sounds. Especially when they all go nuts when you shoot one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Apologies for not being around for co-op guys; sickness and a busy week/fortnight has my l4d time = 0.

I've spoken with the lads and we have decided to forgive you. But this is the last time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I've spoken with the lads and we have decided to forgive you. But this is the last time!
    thanks but next time I shoot you in the head...it may not be an accident...

-.- ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I thought it was time for the 4 of get together again, I'll bring the cocktails :)

• Advertisement

I thought it was time for the 4 of get together again, I'll bring the cocktails :)

Yeah I'd be up for another game later. I tried last night but it looked like no one was up for a game of coop.

Yeah I'd be up for another game later. I tried last night but it looked like no one was up for a game of coop.

THATS BECAUSE YOU RUN REALLY FAST.

:p

Jumpy wrote: »
    THATS BECAUSE YOU RUN REALLY FAST.

Hey we all have our habits. Like yourself, I noticed whenever a tank showed up you'd run away into a corner and hide and wait until we where either all dead or the tank had burned out. That's teamwork for ya :rolleyes: :p

Hey we all have our habits. Like yourself, I noticed whenever a tank showed up you'd run away into a corner and hide and wait until we where either all dead or the tank had burned out. That's teamwork for ya :rolleyes: :p

That was one time! I was testing to see if the "special infected blindness" worked with AI infected.

It doesnt :( He hit me with the car.

kaimera wrote: »
    thanks but next time I shoot you in the head...it may not be an accident...

-.- ;)

You brute!

Who is up for a game tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

First of all guys...

Fixed Smoker tongue tolerance
    Em... what?

Easier to pounce a Survivor who is meleeing

"Meleeing" is..not..a..word

Smoker now has to be killed or the tongue destroyed for the tongue to break

Survivors cannot bash someone off the tongue until the Survivor being pulled is paralyzed or hanging

Contradiction much??

Fixed an exploit where the Witch could be woken up and tricked into attacking Survivors

No you didn't, Ive used this about 15 times since the patch... and I wouldnt consider it an exploit because the witch is USELESS without doing it

So... anyone up for kiting a burning tank whilst playing benny hill tonight?

And then utterly abuse him when he dies?? :D

• Advertisement

And then utterly abuse him when he dies?? :D

Sorry Marsh, I dont think it is in you to abuse anyone. You are always really nice about people when they make a mistake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm so pissed. My Left4dead game is so buggy it's not even funny. When I launch the game now it tells me 'steam was unable to sync your files on the steam cloud' whatever the hell that is and now there absolutely no servers ever available to me. First and Last time I use Steam to buy a game that's for sure. Has anyone else had this problem? Help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Ive had both these problems, they seemed to have went away when I allowed the program in my firewall.
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead.exe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Valmont wrote: »
    First and Last time I use Steam to buy a game that's for sure.

Hang on for a bit, Steam works for 99% of it's users so the problem is on your side (Maybe this should be the first and last time Valve sell you a game :p ).
    Just use the help section on steampowered.com you'll get it sorted. Steam IS the way forward for digital dist.

True, the only issue i have with L4d are the servers not showing or not enough showing, its headwrecking, but counter strike does it every now and again and my latency is set to >150. Eircoms pings on 7.6 Meg ex interleaving are atrocious. But the netcode for L4d is sound, and i havent seen lag affect it to the point where its nearly unplayable with one red bar for ping.

• Advertisement

Actually I invented a fun new game to play....

Its called join an expert game in progress that's been going for over 2 hours with 3 obnoxious germans in it...

help them fight through the last level, kill both the tanks.... and then shoot all 3 of them before jumping into the chopper alone...

cue insane german screeching....

why didn't I record it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Dutch ppl > German

I've one guy on my friends list who i invite to game...JUST to hear him screech and roar in his crazy dutch accent

I should post his STEAM username here so everyone can feel his abuse and laugh :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Actually I invented a fun new game to play....

Its called join an expert game in progress that's been going for over 2 hours with 3 obnoxious germans in it...

help them fight through the last level, kill both the tanks.... and then shoot all 3 of them before jumping into the chopper alone...

cue insane german screeching....

why didn't I record it :(

Title's too long - try "Marshbaboon's: Steamtrolling!"

As annoying as you undoubtedly must be :pac:; props to you for reminding me of Mr. Burns:

"Oh, I'm afraid I've had one of my trademark changes of heart. You see, teamwork will only take you so far. Then, the truly evolved person makes that extra grab for personal glory. Now, I must discard my team-mates, much like the boxer must shed roll after roll of sweaty, useless, disgusting flab before he can win the title. Ta!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I'm so pissed. My Left4dead game is so buggy it's not even funny. When I launch the game now it tells me 'steam was unable to sync your files on the steam cloud' whatever the hell that is and now there absolutely no servers ever available to me. First and Last time I use Steam to buy a game that's for sure. Has anyone else had this problem? Help would be greatly appreciated.

You can Veryify the game cache using steam, do that and see if it helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Are you connected to the Steam Friends network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Steam is messed up atm:confused:

edit: servers need to update

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Steam is messed up atm:confused:

edit: servers need to update

Correct:
    A required update for Left 4 Dead has been released. Please use hldsupdatetool to receive the update. The specific changes include:

- Fixed an exploit with melee where swapping weapons ignored the intended delay between swings.
    - In Versus mode, the Tanks' health now reflects the damage he takes from burning.
    - Fixed an exploit related to the "joinclass" command

Jason

In Versus mode, the Tanks' health now reflects the damage he takes from burning.

I don't understand what this means. Does it mean you now get points for burning the tank?

I don't understand what this means. Does it mean you now get points for burning the tank?

No when the tank was set on fire before the health bar didnt show the damage properly because it was bugged, so the tank would die when it still had a quarter of its life bar left...

now you will see the health bar drop to zero when the tank is burning.

No when the tank was set on fire before the health bar didnt show the damage properly because it was bugged, so the tank would die when it still had a quarter of its life bar left...

now you will see the health bar drop to zero when the tank is burning.

I see! Apparently the tank would have died after approx 30 seconds if set alight, now it seems as if that has been extended to 70 - 80 seconds. I don't know how accurate this is, but shooting him before the patch didn't do damage if he was lit up, it only slowed him down. Now it looks like fire damage and weapons damage are stackable.

• Advertisement

No the healthbar was just messed up before the patch, it seemed like you couldn't kill him with gunfire because when set on fire the healthbar would never empty.

People used to think fire made him invincible for 30 seconds because of this which was untrue. (we've managed to down a burning tank in 10)

It's the same as before, set him on fire and pump as many rounds in him as you can... except the tank knows when they're gonna die this time

Get ya! I assume the tank can still run faster when set alight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Get ya! I assume the tank can still run faster when set alight?

What, really? Flaming tank used to move faster than the cooler version?

Yeah, not sure if it applies to versus, though.

nah you can always outrun a tank in versus if you have over 50 health,

AI tanks can outrun you in co-op tho, presume its because the AI is pretty terrible so they need an advantage

Lagged on one of the boards servers and smacked a hunter as a tank by mistake. Where are these servers located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

UK and somewhere in the benelux countries I think, depending on which one you were on.

Undead Monaghan Mulchies seems to be the only server with ping >150, others have 400-1000! Looks like ill be downgrading mah hinternets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got myself a rather flukey man vs. tank achievement :) Stupid AI tank fell down the elevator shaft in no mercy 5 and I sent a molotov down after him to keep him company.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

hehe, incapacitated three survivors with one pounce on the first section of blood harvest. They were outside the hut by the ledge (near the end, where the map turns off to the left to the safe house) and I did a 25 damage pounce on one of them, and the shock knocked two more of them over the side. A teammate pounced the last guy and it instantly went from fail to epic win :)

Advertisement