Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left 4 Dead

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

surprise buttseks

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Stev_o wrote: »
    Word of advice never leave Bill alone with Louis

Classic!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

l4d ftw, versus is where it is at. Love playing teh zombies, smoker ftw. Nothing like a hunter getting somebody down and a teammate running to help them so I give the rescuer a good tongue and drag them into the trees, like with a girl.

Good craic at galwaylan, coop and versus at 3am. It great when others are playing around you, you can hear the evil laughs, the raging, the screams of fear, all at once! Teamspeaking nomnomnomnom to people is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Stev_o wrote: »
    Word of advice never leave Bill alone with Louis

Christ im crying :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

That is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

What do people use for Voice ?

In game ?
    Vent ?
    Teamspeak ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

In-game is perfectly adequate IMO.

Really enjoying the game so far, have gone through the first 3 campaigns with 3 friends on Advanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

In game. Seems to work fine.

• deafkon wrote: »
    got the game yesterday for the 360 damm gud stuff!! too much fun
    gamertag is Deafkon
    need sum ppl to play it with instead of randoms no body on the friends list has it all broke
    will add ya for a game this eve

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Got it today. Only played it briefly but the latest nvidia drivers are crap with it - keeps stuttering every 2nd minute and gets stuck in a loop for 5-15 seconds. Looked it up online and it appears to be affecting loads of people. Have to revert to older ones. Grr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There was also a stuttering issue in the demo with some dual core pc's, you had to set affinity of the process in task manager to a single core. I see they've added the option to run on a single core to the full game, this must be because of the same issue. I had this issue with my sons pc with XP, 2.4Ghz Core2Duo, 2GB ram, 8800GT, it struggled to play the demo, stuttering constantly, felt like a driver problem, setting affinity solved it instantly. Give it a go

I think it's nvidia drivers rather then a dual core issue, as rather then stuttering I'm experiencing hard freezing/audio looping for up to 15 seconds at a time, theres a thread on the official forums about the latest Nvidia drivers being the root. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I think it's nvidia drivers rather then a dual core issue, as rather then stuttering I'm experiencing hard freezing/audio looping for up to 15 seconds at a time, theres a thread on the official forums about the latest Nvidia drivers being the root. :)

Have you tried setting the affinity to only 1 core? I had that sound looping issue with the demo, it was caused by a conflict with my dual core. There are also issues with the nvidia drivers. I have a friend who keeps having the game crash to his desktop with a Nvidia driver failed message popping up.

Try the betas (i.e. 180.60 & 180.70), supposedly they resolve these issues, you might need to try both of them. Also be sure to use "driver sweeper" in safe mode after uninstalling your current drivers

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---NVIDIA-ForceWare-Vista_c32.html

What I love about this game is how quickly even the best laid plans can go to hell in a matter of seconds. Was trying to complete Blood Harvest last night with a few guys from here, and each time something unexpected and random would happen. Eventually 2 guys ended up surviving to the last wave, one of them gets into the escape vehicle and starts fending off the horde while the other one is making a mad dash to get inside and just as he is coming up the ramp to finish the campaign the guy inside the escape vehicle shoots him in the face by accident killing him... He literally got within an inch of completing the campaign only to be TK'd at the last step :D You couldn't plan this.

It was definitely drivers, just rolled back to an older release and no problems whatsoever. Epic game. Played a few brief quick matches last night, unbelievable. Did quite crap as a team player as I didn't understand a lot of the game mechanics e.g I 'disturbed' the witch leading to my death on more then one occassion, and dashed off ahead in ferverous excitement only to be surrounded by a zombie swarm countless times :D

Will play it properly tonight....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

L31mr0d wrote: »
    What I love about this game is how quickly even the best laid plans can go to hell in a matter of seconds. Was trying to complete Blood Harvest last night with a few guys from here, and each time something unexpected and random would happen. Eventually 2 guys ended up surviving to the last wave, one of them gets into the escape vehicle and starts fending off the horde while the other one is making a mad dash to get inside and just as he is coming up the ramp to finish the campaign the guy inside the escape vehicle shoots him in the face by accident killing him... He literally got within an inch of completing the campaign only to be TK'd at the last step :D You couldn't plan this.

The last minute rush to the vehicle is always a highlight of the campaign. I enjoy the game more for really promoting team work though. Games are usually pretty selfish affairs, but in this you really do need to make sacrafices
    for the good of the team. Giving up that health pack is always tricky, but if you get to the end, it is worthwhile.

And yeah it can turn in a minute. The worst is when you have successfully upped your health only to get caught by a smoker and lost half your energy in seconds. Boo!

• Advertisement

And yeah it can turn in a minute. The worst is when you have successfully upped your health only to get caught by a smoker and lost half your energy in seconds. Boo!

Or you up your health only to be shotgunned by a teammate trying to protect you from zombies. The automatic shotgun is both the best and worst weapon in the game, it is far to easy to hit teammates with it.

I was playing versus against a team though that stayed in formation for the whole level, They all had their backs to each other and moved in a X formation. It was impossible to attack them as the infected.

Or you up your health only to be shotgunned by a teammate trying to protect you from zombies. The automatic shotgun is both the best and worst weapon in the game, it is far to easy to hit teammates with it.

I was playing versus against a team though that stayed in formation for the whole level, They all had their backs to each other and moved in a X formation. It was impossible to attack them as the infected.

Its never impossible. Boomer skydive off a building its the best way to take out a close huddled group.

It takes a good player to not have an itchy trigger with a boomer. Suits me fine :)

I notice the requirements state that the video card should be DX9 and SM2 compatiable, but no where does it say that it's a strict necessary requirement. Seeing as it's Source, will it run on non-SM2 cards? Have a 2nd machine I built for my girlfriend that has a 128MB Ti4800. Plays Half Life 2 and other Source titles pretty well so provided SM2 isn't strictly necessary as the requirements suggested, it should run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It's great when you're on a team that work well together. Last night I has such a team and we massacred the opposing team when we were the horde. We picked them off one by one and let each other know who we were going for, so for example the smoker would pull the straggler right back, the hunter would pounce on them and then when the rest of the team came back to rescue him the boomer would be waiting around the corner to puke on them. I don't think they even got a third of the way through the very first level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The last minute rush to the vehicle is always a highlight of the campaign.

I just finished that campaign myself, jesus that horde was crazy at the end.
    Really liked the house just before, all hell broke loose.
    If you get a good team that communicates to each other well the game really comes together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I notice the requirements state that the video card should be DX9 and SM2 compatiable, but no where does it say that it's a strict necessary requirement. Seeing as it's Source, will it run on non-SM2 cards? Have a 2nd machine I built for my girlfriend that has a 128MB Ti4800. Plays Half Life 2 and other Source titles pretty well so provided SM2 isn't strictly necessary as the requirements suggested, it should run...

Valve themselves have that said this game requires a much better gpu than other source games. Here's how it will look with all effects/texture detail/shaders on low

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The paged pool memory option is the one that gives the most improvements. I was wondering why it ran so well on my PC with everything but it up at maximum and also wondered at the amount N64 textures. Turned it up to high and got a massive improvement in visuals as well as a loads of choppiness and huge load times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I look forward to accidentally shotgunning you in the face again some time :pac:

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Valve themselves have that said this game requires a much better gpu than other source games. Here's how it will look with all effects/texture detail/shaders on low

I have everything on max, lovely looking game, but even on mine it sometimes has a long load time.

The only thing its missing is the other survivors dynamic lighting. Their torches only light up the area for them, not for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Lol, her arse is more plump in this comparison.

Jumpy wrote: »
    even on mine it sometimes has a long load time.

Load times on mine are fairly quick. Maybe you's should invest in an SSD drive :D

It explains why I'm usually the first into a game and why the other players are reading as "IDLE"

EDIT: Also if anyone who has me in their friends list sees me online and wants a game, send me an invite. I'm usually up for one but don't start it up because I see that no one else is playing.

I only stated getting shiite load times when i went into a quick match. It was grand on the campaign and the single player mode. Also the lack of choice when it comes to servers leaves me with a ****e connection. Put me off tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

just bought this, 60 euros expensive. played some co cop, graphics not that great and they allow u to skip to stage in co cop? fun ruined

Placebo wrote: »
    just bought this, 60 euros expensive. played some co cop, graphics not that great and they allow u to skip to stage in co cop? fun ruined

Allow you to. Not force you to.

• Advertisement

I only stated getting shiite load times when i went into a quick match. It was grand on the campaign and the single player mode. Also the lack of choice when it comes to servers leaves me with a ****e connection. Put me off tbh.

Why are you using quick match? Do you know how to bring up the server browser so you can choose the server and game type?

Not really, only played it a couple of times. Good to know that there is a browser.
    Feel quite stupid now

Not really, only played it a couple of times. Good to know that there is a browser.
    Feel quite stupid now

Well its not an option by default so if you've only started playing then it's understandable. You need to go into the options and enable the console. Then press "¬" to bring it up. Type in openserverbrowser to display it. You can then select from a list of servers.

I think Valve disabled it to make gaming easier and more consoley. It's ended up just making things more difficult for PC gamers who are used to having control.

Ahh thats handy, ill be sure to give it a blast later. Sound buddeh.
    I cant understand why it isnt in the steam server browser yoke.

PC games being made consoley...GAH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

Fiiiinaally! Received L4D from play.com today.

.... Jealous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Flippin love this game. Don't get to play as often as I'd like though :(

Every play is a blast. Only four campaigns but still loads of variety.

brianon wrote: »
    Only four campaigns but still loads of variety.

I'd say once the maps start stacking up this game will get better, as it stands I'm already getting a little bored of the campaigns. After a while you start to know all the possible actions of the AI editor, to the point that you are just going through the motions on each level. Plus I'd rather it if you couldn't hear the special zombies from miles away, it ruins the tension when you know exactly where they are before you can even see them.

I heard there is a crossroads mall (the shopping centre from Dawn of the Dead - remake) map being made as well as modifications to TF2 maps (seems the TF2 maps , like dustbowl are already playable but dont have safe areas or a storyline of any kind).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Well its not an option by default so if you've only started playing then it's understandable. You need to go into the options and enable the console. Then press "¬" to bring it up. Type in openserverbrowser to display it. You can then select from a list of servers.

I think Valve disabled it to make gaming easier and more consoley. It's ended up just making things more difficult for PC gamers who are used to having control.

The didnt do it to make it more consoley, they did it so the auto search wil lalways dump you into a game with a free slot. Unlike in the browser, when you see 'ah, heres a game with only 3 players', click connect, and then get dumped back to the server browser cause someone joined a split second before you.
    LoLth wrote: »
    I heard there is a crossroads mall (the shopping centre from Dawn of the Dead - remake) map being made as well as modifications to TF2 maps (seems the TF2 maps , like dustbowl are already playable but dont have safe areas or a storyline of any kind).

its on youtube. Just look for 'left for dead crossroads mall' or got to l4dmods.com

• Advertisement

quick match connected for me every time last night however the more advanced search kept connecting me to full servers :(

must give that server console command a go and see if that works any better for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'd say once the maps start stacking up this game will get better, as it stands I'm already getting a little bored of the campaigns. After a while you start to know all the possible actions of the AI editor, to the point that you are just going through the motions on each level. Plus I'd rather it if you couldn't hear the special zombies from miles away, it ruins the tension when you know exactly where they are before you can even see them.

Yeah, I now only play on versus mode. As I don't really enjoy playing the Blood Harvest campaign it is beginning to get a little repetitive. Hopefully the new maps will be available versus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

is there a certain order the missions go in. I was doin the one where you get into the sewers then hospital and onto the roof. it is great fun but It doesnt seem to have much story goin on but maybe im missing somethin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i tend to prefer the death toll campagin the boathouse ending is classic, espically when u have to make a run for the dock, ahh so many of my friends died there.

Last night i was playing with some americans who got trapped at the start of the dock when the ship arrived so i could bear to see them being eaten alive so i threw a molotov at them and let them burn to death (seemed kinder).

I boarded the boat, well the abuse from the mic made me drop my monoicle into my red wine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You good sir are a shameless coward! However, a zombie film isn't complete without a shameless coward. I've had to leave a few people behind as well. If you lag behind on my team, expect to be left behind, we can't have one person holding everyone up, it's how Darwin predicted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I take it everyone is a member of the boards.ie STEAM group ??

Would anyone be up for a regular night each week where we all hop on a server ?? :)

Also...tip for free - I only found out today - As human, if you crouch and turn off your flashlight...your outline will dissapear to the enemy :):) ...good for in houses etc...or for stakin out Hunters comin behind

• Advertisement

Should one delete the demo's local content before installing the full game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Fnz wrote: »
    Should one delete the demo's local content before installing the full game?
    I didn't and it didn't do anything.

I am wondering can I just delete the demo now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You good sir are a shameless coward! However, a zombie film isn't complete without a shameless coward. I've had to leave a few people behind as well. If you lag behind on my team, expect to be left behind, we can't have one person holding everyone up, it's how Darwin predicted it.

If I am on the safety of the boat, and some gombeen keeps killing zombies when he should be running like the ****ing wind, he deserves any (un)death that comes to him. I may fire a few unhelpful shotgun shots his way from the safety of the poop deck, but when you hear that rescue has arrived: RUN, and leave the zombies be. They were human too.

As movies have thought us, going back only leads to **** going down.

I am wondering can I just delete the demo now?

Hmmm, yeah, I should probably just delete the demo first. In case something unforeseen happens if I do it after.

If I am on the safety of the boat, and some gombeen keeps killing zombies when he should be running like the ****ing wind, he deserves any (un)death that comes to him. I may fire a few unhelpful shotgun shots his way from the safety of the poop deck, but when you hear that rescue has arrived: RUN, and leave the zombies be. They were human too.

As movies have thought us, going back only leads to **** going down.

But leaving folk (for dead) is hardly in the spirit of the......etcetera. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement