Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left 4 Dead

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fnz wrote: »
    But leaving folk (for dead) is hardly in the spirit of the......etcetera. :o

I feel it is the one part of the game where your own survival needs significantly outweigh your teammates - for the rest of the campaign I am more than willing to assist a constrained comrade. It is easy enough to get to the escape vehicle, though, and that should be a main priority rather than stay behind and drag the rest of the team down with you! A proper mistake / problem might call for assistance, but pulling a Rambo at the last moment doesn't fly, man! :pac:

That said it is rather tear jerking to see the credits dedicated to your fallen allies :( True, you can just move onto another lobby, but there are a few seconds of genuine grief there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I am beginning to think the creators of Blood Harvest are actually rednecks.

Louis is ALWAYS the guy who gets left behind. Its starting to get creepy now.

It was me last night. Not only that, I heard Francis laughing as the APC drove away :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

token black guy always dies in horror films

Thats his role :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

SeantheMan wrote: »
    token black guy always dies in horror films

Thats his role :P

Except in zombie horror! (I'm thinking Dawn of the Dead films).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I know Nick Cannon gives out about being the token black guy in the new Day of the Dead, but does he die? I can't remember...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Racist :P

Anyone play this that actually uses their mic and doesnt get left behind, so annoying when your playing and no-one says anything and gets left behind all the time, happens nearly every game. Its a great game but so much better when everyone is communicating with a mike and working together.

Add me to Steam think the name is Atlas[IRL] or Firetrap might work. Im on the boards.ie group.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know Nick Cannon gives out about being the token black guy in the new Day of the Dead, but does he die? I can't remember...

I'm not sure about Dawn of the Dead, but in the original Night of the Living Dead Romero cleverly had the one black character as the last survivor...
    until he gets shot by the rescuers
    . But for the most part, yes: horror directors tend to be a horrifically racist bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Jumpy wrote: »
    I am beginning to think the creators of Blood Harvest are actually rednecks.

Louis is ALWAYS the guy who gets left behind. Its starting to get creepy now.

It was me last night. Not only that, I heard Francis laughing as the APC drove away :(

I went through this campaign last night and it was Francis who got left outside blasting away, managed to save him though and bring him on board (normal difficulty).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I didn't and it didn't do anything.

I am wondering can I just delete the demo now?

Yes, they are two separate programs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Loving this game.
    My flat mate and I play on xbox live most evenings now. Nothing like some tag team smoker / hunter action :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Yes, they are two separate programs

+1
    I did the same with no problems encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Racist :P

Anyone play this that actually uses their mic and doesnt get left behind, so annoying when your playing and no-one says anything and gets left behind all the time, happens nearly every game. Its a great game but so much better when everyone is communicating with a mike and working together.

Add me to Steam think the name is Atlas[IRL] or Firetrap might work. Im on the boards.ie group.

Holy **** it's you! I was in a game with you last night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Are there any clans / groups playing this ?

I just LOVE the teamwork involved, ...and god...drives me insane when you get a Rambo type who runs out and gets killed all the time or spat on by a Boomer !

I feel like I'm jesus sometimes with the amount of time i spend saving ppl from hunters and smokers

YO. MOFO. IF WE ARE PLAYING EXPERT ... DONT TAKE THE GODDAMN SHOTGUN.

randomer incapacitates JuMpArOuNd, randomer incapacitates JuMpArOuNd, randomer incapacitates JuMpArOuNd, randomer incapacitates JuMpArOuNd, randomer incapacitates JuMpArOuNd, randomer incapacitates JuMpArOuNd and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

randomer incapacitates JuMpArOuNd, randomer incapacitates JuMpArOuNd, randomer incapacitates JuMpArOuNd, randomer incapacitates JuMpArOuNd, randomer incapacitates JuMpArOuNd, randomer incapacitates JuMpArOuNd and so on.

eh?

I hear that .. but ... don't play with randomers :)

We had a great game last night. Dead Air on expert and for the finale we ALL had shotguns to kill off two tanks. It did help when one of the tanks got suck :) under a plane though !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Holy **** it's you! I was in a game with you last night :D

That game was ridicilously hard! Was weird as well the way the server was set up so everyone could hear each other. We need a separate forum for L4D. Hard trying to find this bloody forum. Or if someone created a steam forum with all the sub forums in it, it would be easier to find.

Dont think their is much of an Irish community for it yet Sean.

Yeah there were some interesting server side settings activated there.. The Half Life forum serves most of Valves games at the moment. I think it would be good if the boards.ie Steam group had an official server or something, there seems to be such a facility built into L4D at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's nothing worse that healing up and being in capacitated 5 seconds later by a shotgun to the back :mad:

• Advertisement

Been shot by manay a shotgun .. but sometimes people just walk right accross you as you are firing. *Have done it many times myself.

Even shot a guy in the head when I was zoomed in on an infected with the rifle and he walked right accross me at the wrong time :D

Friendly fire isn't :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

This game has it's fair share of annoying people but the game still rocks.

Waiting 5mins+ for a server is stupid too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Friendly fire makes any game better. Even when playing with the usual retarded CS players. It just adds a lot to the game. I've been lucky so far, and havent had anyone to stupid in L4D yet, although i've only played a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Is anywhere in the city center selling this for €40 or under? Been saving pennies for this game and don't want to have to wait another week :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Is anywhere in the city center selling this for €40 or under? Been saving pennies for this game and don't want to have to wait another week :p

HMV Grafton 39.99 i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I am sick of people laggin behind to explore or kill all the zomies, especially when they should be getting on the boat, plane, truck or helicopter. Idiots deserve to get eaten alive. So many muppets thinking it is a standard FPS.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Moojuice wrote: »
    I am sick of people laggin behind to explore or kill all the zomies, especially when they should be getting on the boat, plane, truck or helicopter. Idiots deserve to get eaten alive. So many muppets thinking it is a standard FPS.....

I've played with a variety of people, the ones that use you as a human pipe bomb, the ones that stay back and let everyone else get attacked or the ones that just peg it to the safe house and then start shouting "hurry up n00bz... sheesh"

I suppose the human element keeps it interesting :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Stev_o wrote: »
    HMV Grafton 39.99 i think
    Arse..just paid $60 on steam :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Its probably been asked already but is there any mod maps out there and if so how do i use em?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

rejkin wrote: »
    Its probably been asked already but is there any mod maps out there and if so how do i use em?

Well any CSS map can be used but it ll be pointless because they have navigation points to which the Director can use so you end up having to get him to force random spawns which is not that great tbh.

The games not out that long so hold your horses :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

righty, i've been playing for just over a week and its a fantastic game. however, the players in versus games are complete ar$eholes. one out of every 5 games is enjoyable, others are filled with "noob" called and just over the top gloating. (the game is only about two weeks old, surely everyone at this point is a noob?) Its a real pity. What i would like is a way to mark a player and set a filter so that I dont join any server they are on and they cant join a server I am on. it really takes away from the fun. Curently I make it a point to quit any server with an over the top git. I see nothing wrong with a pwned or lol comment when its deserved but slagging off the people playing a game with you constantly just gets on my nerves.

sorry for the rant. I was playing a great game today and two new players join, one goes infected, the other joins the survivors and promptly sits back and does nothing except hurl abuse at everyone. Then, he starts shooting the other survivors when they are fighting the player infected!. On another server in co-op, a player is shot accidentally in friendly fire, he goes ballistic over voice so I type in, "take it easy, its just a game" . everythign seems fine, he calms down until the restart when he starts killing the other players and ranting"its ok, its just a game f*****s" . If that had been my first experience of the game I wouldnt have bothered playing again. valve should have a method of reporting players and flagging log files for reported incidents.

Its been a while since I played BF2, or 2142 or even HL2:DM but I dont remember the abuse beign this frequent :( . TBH, i'm in two minds as to whether or not to bother playing versus again. I play games to have fun, not listen to arrogant little gits getting their jollies by slagging off other players to make up for their lack of social skills in real life.

/rant over (and again, sorry for the rant).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

LoLth wrote: »
    righty, i've been playing for just over a week and its a fantastic game. however, the players in versus games are complete ar$eholes. one out of every 5 games is enjoyable, others are filled with "noob" called and just over the top gloating. (the game is only about two weeks old, surely everyone at this point is a noob?) Its a real pity. What i would like is a way to mark a player and set a filter so that I dont join any server they are on and they cant join a server I am on. it really takes away from the fun. Curently I make it a point to quit any server with an over the top git. I see nothing wrong with a pwned or lol comment when its deserved but slagging off the people playing a game with you constantly just gets on my nerves.

sorry for the rant. I was playing a great game today and two new players join, one goes infected, the other joins the survivors and promptly sits back and does nothing except hurl abuse at everyone. Then, he starts shooting the other survivors when they are fighting the player infected!. On another server in co-op, a player is shot accidentally in friendly fire, he goes ballistic over voice so I type in, "take it easy, its just a game" . everythign seems fine, he calms down until the restart when he starts killing the other players and ranting"its ok, its just a game f*****s" . If that had been my first experience of the game I wouldnt have bothered playing again. valve should have a method of reporting players and flagging log files for reported incidents.

Its been a while since I played BF2, or 2142 or even HL2:DM but I dont remember the abuse beign this frequent :( . TBH, i'm in two minds as to whether or not to bother playing versus again. I play games to have fun, not listen to arrogant little gits getting their jollies by slagging off other players to make up for their lack of social skills in real life.

Sounds like Xbox live 2 me, usually pc games having the need for a well spec'd pc to play the latest game, loose some of the kids and annoying gobshítes that consoles get, guess this game has lower specs than the new games we've been seeing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

OctavarIan wrote: »

Well, here in Limerick Game have it for €35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i payed 60 or the 360 version, rip off central

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Placebo wrote: »

And the 360 guys may be forced to pay for the additional content that PC owners get for free.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well alot of games just drop price like a joke
    mirrors edge for ps3 is down to like 50 ? in hmbv on henry
    farcry two at the same place is 36, where as i got it for 60 2 weeks ago.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I really like the game but the system for joining games is retarded - can't connect to a server with a decent ping time for love or money.

Placebo wrote: »
    I really like the game but the system for joining games is retarded - can't connect to a server with a decent ping time for love or money.

Best bet is to just add servers to your favorites in Steam and go from there. If you open the console you can also type "openserverbrowser" to open the server browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Had the most frustrating co-op game ever on Dead Air today :mad:
    My teammates were absolute muppets. Every single witch was shot at, health packs hoarded, etc. I don't know how we made it to the finale but when we did it took 11 attempts to succeed.
    I still love this game though. I haven't encountered any xbox live style smack talking/griefing asshats like Lolth has yet. The banter on voice comms seems to be pretty good. I am partial to shouting BOO! just as I pounce on people as hunter :D

I must echo pepe le frits on the lobby system though. Its a load of arse. The only way to consitently get into a game with decent pings seems to be to join games in progress, which defeats the friends system :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Some sort of blade weapons or a chainsaw would be brilliant in this game. Perhaps an Evil Dead shotgun and chainsaw type combo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

No. No. No.

Moojuice wrote: »
    Some sort of blade weapons or a chainsaw would be brilliant in this game. Perhaps an Evil Dead shotgun and chainsaw type combo?

Would be nice to have a nod to Shawn of the Dead and have an easter egg placed in one of the levels where you can pick up a case of LP's and throw them at the zombies heads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭frozenbullet

LEFT 4 DEAD !!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Best bet is to just add servers to your favorites in Steam and go from there. If you open the console yo. can also type "openserverbrowser" to open the server browser.
    Ah, that helps a lot. Thanks.

Still a nightmare to play games with your friends though.

It really is true that the quality of the game depends on the teammates. Every man for himself, rambo style stuff gets dull really fast. Playing strategically, covering eachother etc and cranking up the difficulty level makes it really fun.

Had a ****ing eejit on a server last night who ran off on his own all the time, disturbed every witch etc. Finally when he got pinned by a witch he'd disturbed, we just stood around laughing, watching him get slaughtered. Waited until the witch killed him and then blew her away :D

To the lads last night. Excellent game, pity we didnt actually call in the helicopter until we realised 20 mins later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

It really is true that the quality of the game depends on the teammates. Every man for himself, rambo style stuff gets dull really fast. Playing strategically, covering eachother etc and cranking up the difficulty level makes it really fun.

couldnt agree more. had a great game last night playing through blood harvest in versus. eventually a muppet joined on the survivor team (Executioner) who ran off by himself while the rest of use went to hold up in the house. Got himself pinned by a hunter and died before we could get to him to save him then started typing "you all suck. f*ckin n00b team, no idea how to play ffs". We got crushed by a tank making our way back to the house. strange thing was, when we played infected , we won as well but executioner finished last, over 400 points below the next infected player.... oh how I laughed... :D
    Had a ****ing eejit on a server last night who ran off on his own all the time, disturbed every witch etc. Finally when he got pinned by a witch he'd disturbed, we just stood around laughing, watching him get slaughtered. Waited until the witch killed him and then blew her away :D

class :) bet it didnt change his playing style though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Had a rambo style player in a game the other night, eventually he got sick of us not coming to save him every single time he ran ahead of the rest of us and decided to TK someone before disconnecting...
    Douchebags like that can really ruin this wonderful game:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

i have being lucky so far and havn't come accross any little CS kiddies, im surprised at how mature the community is, all games so far all members seem to be helpful may not be the best players but they do try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

LoLth wrote: »

wow, so far ive had nothing but good games, even with randomers. Tho mostly play with friends.

• Advertisement

To the lads last night. Excellent game, pity we didnt actually call in the helicopter until we realised 20 mins later.

Yeah, I thought it was going too well :D We pretty much lost within 5 minutes of pressing the button as we'd expended most of our health just hanging around thinking we'd pressed it :o

It would be good if the boards group could arrange a few nights a week for some versus. I'm usually up for a game most nights ~9pm and 12am, but it's hit and miss whether I can find anyone online. I know a lot of my friends are getting bored due to the rampant muppetry (what turned most of us off CS:S) so it would be good to arrange games rather than have to suffer playing with random griefers

Advertisement