Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cake Recipes

Options
  • 05-11-2008 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any good Christmas cake recipes they swear by?

Look to make one soon enough, just want a good recipes to get going.

Will

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

This is my favourite Christmas Cake recipe, because I am a lazy wench and rarely make the cake far in advance. The mincemeat in this recipe makes the cake really moist. :)

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/christmas-sherry-mincemeat-cake,903,RC.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Eviledna wrote: »
    This is my favourite Christmas Cake recipe, because I am a lazy wench and rarely make the cake far in advance. The mincemeat in this recipe makes the cake really moist. :)

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/christmas-sherry-mincemeat-cake,903,RC.html
    Interesting idea with the mincemeat, never thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kathleenl

1lb flour, no need to sieve it. It can be plain with some baking powder or self-raising.
    8 oz. very soft margarine, very important point. Stork or Flora
    3 very large eggs.
    Vanilla/almond essence.
    1 large cup of very hot milk, just off the boil.
    1½ to 2 lbs. mixed cake fruit. (Anything you fancy)
    Mixed spice, nutmegs, cinnamon.

The official recipe says to mix everything together until well blended, but I mix the flour, margarine and sugar first, then add eggs (no need to beat before hand), then milk. When thoroughly mixed I add in everything else.

9" cake tin. (Christmas cake tin size). Line it well
    Bake for two hours in a pre-heated oven, moderately show, 160 deg C. 325 deg F. Gas mark 2-3

I found this recipe to be very nice and I use it as a Christmas cake by adding cherries.
    To make the cake rise evenly cover with a plate or pizza baking tray.

(Mix all liquid materials first then add the flower its easier to work with.)

This cake is really lovely and you cant make a mistake in it.... seriously. Just double line the baking tin. Brown first then greaseproof. Once you have the cake in cover with an enamel plate or tinfoil plate. Make a well in the middle before you cover. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've used this one - Edward Hayden (from Dunbrody House) recipe. Was great! http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/food-drink/edward-hayd...ristmas-cake-1950108.html Going to make it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Lol, was just about to post Delia's recipe...when I noticed I already had two years ago! This is an old thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement