Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P45 Refusal

Options
  • 05-11-2008 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭

My friends boyfriend is being refused his P45 from his boss since August, with the excuse "I'll have work soon" He can't afford to hang around as their mortgage is huge and needs to sign on for his credits! The only thing now is he is worried that his boss never paid his PRSI etc ... and is worried! How can he get his P45? And what if his PRSI wasn't being paid?

Any info is appreciated!

Comments

I was in the same situation and since end of July, I contacted my local Tax Office and told them that they were refusing to issue my P45 (they still owe me alot of money) and they sent my boss a letter saying I had requested the info and told me that if he didn't act on the letter then I should report him to the department of enterprise trade and employment, so, once they sent them the letter, I followed up with an email telling him what they had advised me to do. I got my P45 two weeks later...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

On the matter of tax credits, if his boss didn't pay them I would imagine that there would be a full investigation by a PRSI social welfare inspector. It's not his fault it wasn't paid.

The funny thing about the tax is that they can't tell until the end of the financial year if he has paid what he says he has paid, I only know this because this was one of my biggest issues. That is why you need to contact the tax office ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It is illegal to withhold a P45 and the Revenue will not be pleased to hear about it. Get in touch with them right away.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The funny thing about the tax is that they can't tell until the end of the financial year if he has paid what he says he has paid, I only know this because this was one of my biggest issues. That is why you need to contact the tax office ASAP.
    It think this depends on the employer. Many employers pay their PAYE and PRSI contributions progressively as the year goes on. This is why employees often have to go to revenue to get overpaid tax credits refunded.
    It does make sense - an employer with 2000 employees, each paying 3k per year in PAYE would be sitting on €6m at the end of the year which wasn't theirs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement