Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocked At Channel 4 News!

Options
  • 05-11-2008 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Usually this is a great channel but watching the news I am shocked at how they are trying to discredit Obama every chance they get.

While i understand that they were also just pointing out the job on hand I also felt they were insinuating that he couldn't do what he claimed and writing him off while he is still just an elect!

Anyone else catch this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Resi12 wrote:
    I also felt they were insinuating that he couldn't do what he claimed and writing him off while he is still just an elect!

You mean a politician might not be able to back up his promises? Surely not! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

C4 news taking a hard line on Obama? Shirley shome mishtake?

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

You mean a politician might not be able to back up his promises? Surely not! :eek:

Yes but he was elected just twelve hours and they are already portraying him negatively, this is the point I am making.

Resi12 wrote: »
    Yes but he was elected just twelve hours and they are already portraying him negatively, this is the point I am making.

Well generally politicians promise much and deliver little. I don't see anything wrong in scrutinising whether or not Obama can atually deliver the changes he says he will bring. In all likelihood he won't be able to change very much. At least not initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Maybe after listening to RTE's gushing Obama love in all day, C4 news just sounded negative? Even though it was bring fair and asking the questions i would expect of good journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well generally politicians promise much and deliver little. I don't see anything wrong in scrutinising whether or not Obama can atually deliver the changes he says he will bring. In all likelihood he won't be able to change very much. At least not initially.

He isn't even in the office yet. What did people expect? A magic change wand would be pulled out the second he was announced and make magical change ponies for everyone?

Seriously, wait until he fuks up before people start on him at least.

Hobbes wrote: »
    He isn't even in the office yet. What did people expect? A magic change wand would be pulled out the second he was announced and make magical change ponies for everyone?

Absolutely not. That's the point. The hysteria of some media outlets proclaiming him the Messiah is very foolish. I'd much rather Channel 4 cut through the BS and actually try to determine whether or not the guy can do anything.
    Hobbes wrote:

They shouldn't start on him but they ought to question whether his actions will speak as loud as his words have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought that Channel 4 was the fairest and best piece I had heard on teh election all day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Maybe after listening to RTE's gushing Obama love in all day.

Like when they were all but calling it over when he won Penn.? When no states had changed hands from 04... I stopped watching then.

Did anyone else see John Bolton on the beeb? They were just throwing cheap shots at him, and they had some idiot "historian" who was calling it with Obama at 200, and throwing insults at JB. And as for that "interview" in CO... If I paid a British licence fee, I'd ask for it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't belive someone is defending the odious Bolton over Simon Schama!

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Schama was right to call it at 200. Once Ohio went Obama it was over. If not for the Florida fiasco in 2000 everyone would have called it then. Bolton's an idiot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hobbes wrote: »

Agree - we as a spices are too quick to knock others before they can even get started.

C4 if they want to claim they are fair, should have at least shown the two sides and let the public decide.

That's responsible journalism at this juncture of his new political position.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Channel 4 still does a news programme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

It's OK really. Remember, the higher Obama's image soars, the further it has to fall once the honeymoon period is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Húrin wrote: »
    It's OK really. Remember, the higher Obama's image soars, the further it has to fall once the honeymoon period is over.

Oh please ye are all bitter people, I believe in Obama and that he can indeed provide change and if worst comes to worst there is no way he will be as bad as Bush.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Geeeeeeez, Obama will not be sworn in as president until sometime past the middle of January 2009. We still have Bush screw-ups to enjoy until then.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Geeeeeeez, Obama will not be sworn in as president until sometime past the middle of January 2009. We still have Bush screw-ups to enjoy until then.:pac:

And worse, Bush now has COMPLETE free reign to do whatever the hell he wants. He has nothing at all to lose by deciding tomorrow to invade Iran or do some other nutty move. He won't be screwing up any election for his party or be worrying about re-election. So this few months is actually the most dangerous in terms of what he can do.

I actually don't think myself that we will do anything reckless as I am almost beginning to think that after 8 years he is realising that his policies have not worked and he is beginning to act like a president. When I say beginning, I mean really tenie tiny baby steps towards doing a prioper job...but getting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You realise congress is the one with the power to declare war right?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Are you not asking a little bit too much......?
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

Fair play to Channel 4 news for for having unbiased, objective reporting - there isn't many left out there. So what if they don't have the Obama goggles on. C4 are only asking questions that would be asked of any other president-elect who has made such promises and who people are hailing as the messiah.

I sincerely hope that Obama can change the world, and live up to the expectations that have been placed on this shoulders.

Lets also not forget that 64 million Americans voted Obama and 56.5 million voted McCain. A difference of 7.5 million out of a total 120.5+ million votes isn't huge. This to me shows the extent, but more importantly the limits of Obama's appeal in the US.

I'm happy for Obama and his supporters, but that doesn't mean I won't question whether he can do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Like they declared it for Iraq.. oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Who said anything about declaring war? That is a technicality which can be very easily bypassed. Why start bothering with the legal nicities now when you can just carpet-bomb someone and not have to worry about the consequences.

What are congress goign to do? Impeach him? that would take a few months and by then it would be too late.
    Again I really don't think he will do this, but I for one will be happier when he is out of power for once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

obl wrote: »
    Like when they were all but calling it over when he won Penn.? When no states had changed hands from 04... I stopped watching then.

Did anyone else see John Bolton on the beeb? They were just throwing cheap shots at him, and they had some idiot "historian" who was calling it with Obama at 200, and throwing insults at JB. And as for that "interview" in CO... If I paid a British licence fee, I'd ask for it back.

john bolton is a ghastly figure , hes almost cartoon evil
    deserves everything he gets thrown at him , bolton was by far the biggest hawk in the bush admin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Yes, he was hilarious on the BBC, Schama wiped the floor with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Usually this is a great channel but watching the news I am shocked at how they are trying to discredit Obama every chance they get.

While i understand that they were also just pointing out the job on hand I also felt they were insinuating that he couldn't do what he claimed and writing him off while he is still just an elect!

Anyone else catch this?

Ah, last time I check the UK and the West in general was not North Korea

No 'all hail to the Great leader' here please.

Any media outlet is entitled to ask questions of what an elected politician may or may not achieve.

Advertisement