Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I interfere

Options
  • 05-11-2008 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭

God knows i am a mouse when it comes to myself, you have prob seen my previous threads.

However, i have no problem standing up to anyone on someone elses behalf.

I am livid at my sisters landlord. He keeps letting himself into her house when shes not there and leaving notes on the table!! If she is there she has to let him in. She just got home and there was a note on the table. Thats the 2nd time in 3 weeks.

His wife seems to wear the trousers but never speaks to or converses with my sister and sends her hubby around, and she is a garda, surely she should be able to read a lease or contract and know the law, if it is law?

They also put the rent up a month into the lease, after it was signed, as their mortgage went up. Is this allowed? I begged her for his number to inform him nicely of my sisters rights but she doesnt want any trouble.

Am i right in thinking these 2 totally are wrong and need to be put in their place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Trinity1 wrote: »
    God knows i am a mouse when it comes to myself, you have prob seen my previous threads.

I am livid at my sisters landlord. He keeps letting himself into her house when shes not there and leaving notes on the table!! If she is there she has to let him in. She just got home and there was a note on the table. Thats the 2nd time in 3 weeks.

His wife seems to wear the trousers but never speaks to or converses with my sister and sends her hubby around, and she is a garda, surely she should be able to read a lease or contract and know the law, if it is law?

They also put the rent up a month into the lease, after it was signed, as their mortgage went up. Is this allowed? I begged her for his number to inform him nicely of my sisters rights but she doesnt want any trouble.

Am i right in thinking these 2 totally are wrong and need to be put in their place?

She never has to let them in, they are by no means allowed into the property without permission. They cannot raise the rent once the lease is agreed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Trinity1 wrote: »

1. He cannot invade her personal space. He has no right to enter the property in her absence, and indeed, only has the right to enter in her presence if reasonable notice is given.

2. The rent may only be revised once a year, and the review must be in keeping with prevailing rent for the area. As they had only signed their lease a month previous- there would be no review of rent for a further 11 months- and irrespective of whether the landlords mortgage has gone up or down- the rent should be compared with comparable rents in the area- not with the landlords expenses.......

3. If your sister rings the PRTB (Private Residential Tenancies Board) they will be able to explain her rights to her. Her rights are enshrined in the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act (which also set up the PRTB itself).

You are quite right- your sister is being walked over........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

As above see the prtb website but good luck contacting them,
    If you start quoting your rights be careful, a landlord has the right with the correct notice to terminate a tenancey under 6months without a reason, they do not have the right to enter or allow anyone else to enter without reasonable notice.
    if he/she/they give notice they can enter to inspect the property or to allow someone access to carry out repairs as necessary.
    Aproach them nicely and say you are not happy that they have entered without notifying you and you'd prefer that they didnt in future.
    you are allowed privacy and unreasonable dropping around or continually checking the place would not be looked upon kindly if it came to a dispute resolution.
    Keep a log

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Thanks for the replies guys. She wont say anything i asked her again.

This is in fact her 3rd year into the lease so its not like shes just moved in. I'm not sure how long its been going on i only heard of this for the first time 3 weeks ago and the rent increase they did on her last year i didnt know until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

sungear wrote: »
    If you start quoting your rights be careful, a landlord has the right with the correct notice to terminate a tenancey under 6months without a reason
    In fairness a landlord can terminate a tenancy at any time just by saying they want to sell the house, welcome to Dickensian Ireland.
    sungear wrote: »
    if he/she/they give notice they can enter to inspect the property or to allow someone access to carry out repairs as necessary.
    No, the tenant has to agree to allow them access at that date. You can't just drop a letter in the box and show up the next day with a work crew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

Or just say they want it for their own or their immediate family's use.

The tenant has to agree to allow access, but without some reason and I'd say a reasonable one, they could not decline indefinitely,
    anyway this was about the landlord entering the property without permission, I've come across it myself and which I get the impression from a lot of people is quite common.
    If the person is there 3 years then they should have a good idea if the landlord is legit, ie if they are getting rent allowance, know if they have submitted details to the PRTB.
    If they are not or are suspected of not being legit, can say
    Can you not enter without running it by me and for what reason.
    If they continue tell them would have to contact the PRTB and its a serious infringement of the tenant rights and the law and do contact the PRTB.
    If they are legit can say and do the exact same.
    Under either circumstance do not get forced out/leave if threatened, at least until it suits the tenant to leave, dont have to put up with an invasion of privacy.
    For all someone knows they are are going through your personal details (credit cards etc) or your underwear!
    There are, I believe a lot of ok landlords. I do think the older landlord (for the most part older, but not all) are the ones who know or care damn all about peoples rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tomtom1

Hi I can,t believe this overbearing arse . first get alternative accomodation arranged should you need it , then approach your landlord and explain that you are a very private person and need prior notice for any future visits also that any future visits should be limited to 3to4 a year . failing that pop around to his house unannounced demand entrance and inspect the house and occupants and then ask them how it felt .then explain that you pay him not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

A landlord letting themselves in uninvited is actually a criminal offence. It is breaking and entering.

You are entitled to call the guards and pursue it that way if you wish.

Advertisement