Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shop cold calling

Options
  • 05-11-2008 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hey everyone.

I set up a business in the last few days which provides a service to shops.

I am thinking of going door to door tommorow and walking into the shop unannounced giving the store manager my business card and just telling them about my services.

my question: is this method effective?
    will i be frowned upon or kicked out?
    do business people do this type of shop cold calling everyday?

THANKS

id appreciaate some answers as am debating whether to do it or not tommorow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

depends on what you are selling really, ask yourself if I was him/her what can i say to them that would get them to listen to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

So long as you present yourself well, you should try it. Make sure you have your pitch well rehearsed, and keep it snappy. Some outlets have designated times/days for sales reps.

But if you're polite, professional and well preapred most I expect will give you 5-10 mins.

Avoid rabbiting on and be specific!!

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Speaking from experience it is a bit hit and miss, Some will give you all the time in the world others will send you to head office.
    It is better to bring a sample/example of what you re selling

but you need to get the contact details of the buyer/owner to suceed

Best of luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

duncanb wrote: »
    I am thinking of going door to door tommorow and walking into the shop unannounced giving the store manager my business card and just telling them about my services.

tbh, its the only way to introduce yourself
    If you phone first, many (even most) people will put you off. Cold-call telemarketing is possibly the most annoying practice on the go these days, both at home and in work.

And yes, its done every day in every type of shop.

The best advice I can give you is don't go straight in with a prepared speech. This may work in other parts of the world, but different approaches suit different cultures.

The reverse is just as bad - don't annoy people by trying to make small talk on your first visit; "did you see the match?", "what do you think of Obama?"

That kind of stuff can be very effective on return visits, when you've got at least a passing aquaintance with the person.

First time though, chat about your service & the benefits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Gurgle wrote: »
    tbh, its the only way to introduce yourself
    If you phone first, many (even most) people will put you off. Cold-call telemarketing is possibly the most annoying practice on the go these days, both at home and in work.

And yes, its done every day in every type of shop.

The best advice I can give you is don't go straight in with a prepared speech. This may work in other parts of the world, but different approaches suit different cultures.

The reverse is just as bad - don't annoy people by trying to make small talk on your first visit; "did you see the match?", "what do you think of Obama?"

That kind of stuff can be very effective on return visits, when you've got at least a passing aquaintance with the person.

First time though, chat about your service & the benefits etc.

I'm starting a web design business, I've had a few ideas for getting my first business and this was one of them. However, I'm a bit apprehensive walking into a business and making the wrong sort of impression.

Basically, I've identified businesses in the surrounding towns who either (a) do not have a website and it would be possible for them to have a website or (b) already have a website but of very poor quality.

As a result I was wondering for some advice on the best route to saying "I had a look at your site, it isnt great, however I can do this this and this, here are some examples for a reasonable price" and/or "I'm a new business starting up and we have some promotional offers available for the businesses in area X - your eligible , here are some examples"

What would be the most professional way to go about chatting to owners of businesses and knowing if they're interested (i.e. do I offer a meeting to discuss it further or just leave my card is sufficient enough?)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Deaddude wrote: »
    I'm starting a web design business, I've had a few ideas for getting my first business and this was one of them. However, I'm a bit apprehensive walking into a business and making the wrong sort of impression.

Basically, I've identified businesses in the surrounding towns who either (a) do not have a website and it would be possible for them to have a website or (b) already have a website but of very poor quality.

As a result I was wondering for some advice on the best route to saying "I had a look at your site, it isnt great, however I can do this this and this, here are some examples for a reasonable price" and/or "I'm a new business starting up and we have some promotional offers available for the businesses in area X - your eligible , here are some examples"

What would be the most professional way to go about chatting to owners of businesses and knowing if they're interested (i.e. do I offer a meeting to discuss it further or just leave my card is sufficient enough?)

Thanks

someone can correct me if im wrong, but i would personally go for the first approach. I would point out what could be better about there website, and persuade them that i am the man to make it better, with proven evidence of course. For me, going in and saying "im a new business" etc tells me you dont have alot of experience(you might but thats how it sounds to me).

just my thoughts:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Deaddude wrote: »
    I'm starting a web design business
    Ah, now theres an industry badly in need of good people but already swamped by cowboys.

I can tell you this much for free; its not going to be easy.

For a start, put together a portfolio of websites you've already done & talk them through the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

someone can correct me if im wrong, but i would personally go for the first approach. I would point out what could be better about there website, and persuade them that i am the man to make it better, with proven evidence of course. For me, going in and saying "im a new business" etc tells me you dont have alot of experience(you might but thats how it sounds to me).

just my thoughts:)
    I disagree strongly-I would be immediately pissed off if some young guy starting up in business came in and said 'i've had a look at your website and its not great....'
    It might not be great but its his.........
    He probably knows already its not great but telling him that from the get go is not smart.
    Instead concentrate on what good stuff you can do for him at a competitive price;he will be mentally making the comparison in his own mind anyway but without you putting yourself behind the black ball from the word go by telling him his is crap(which as i say he probably already knows)

Most unqualified to post but:

If it was me I'd go with "Hi, My name is ***** and I'd like to offer my services as a web designer ]/(insert job title here)."

Then show the portfolio, then discuss his/her current website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I disagree strongly-I would be immediately pissed off if some young guy starting up in business came in and said 'i've had a look at your website and its not great....'
    It might not be great but its his.........
    He probably knows already its not great but telling him that from the get go is not smart.
    Instead concentrate on what good stuff you can do for him at a competitive price;he will be mentally making the comparison in his own mind anyway but without you putting yourself behind the black ball from the word go by telling him his is crap(which as i say he probably already knows)

i agree with you telling him his is crap would piss him off, i didnt suggest that. I suggested he could show how he could make it better with his skills, after all, isnt that what they want from him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Trump

duncanb wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

I set up a business in the last few days which provides a service to shops.

THANKS

id appreciaate some answers as am debating whether to do it or not tommorow.

Yes this method is very effective. I will give tips now that would apply to generally every product out there.

1.Know your product inside out as well as the prices you charge and the discounts that you can offer.

2.Have your answers for delivery times,ordering processes,and for bulk discounts

2.Make sure you can leave a brochure or something that they can hold onto and look at,with your business card attached ,for those people who cannot see you or do not have time to talk.You will come across alot of these people.

3.Have your pitch prepared and know the benefits of your product,what difference does your product have over the competition and why should this person buy from you.

4.Take down all details contact names,phone numbers,email, addresses etc so you can build up a future contact system/database for yourself.

5.Make sure you follow up on all requests and especially on any leads you get.Any further infromation sent should be followed up with a phonecall.

6.Be prepared for plenty of hard work and lots of walking.

7.Have a plan of attack , know what area your going to cover and be prepared for lots of rejection.

8.But remember each rejection just means a step closer to a sale.

9.Enjoy yourself and learn from your day.

10.Dress professionally and best of luck.

Advertisement