Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis Debate

Options
  • 05-11-2008 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

What are your opinions of legalising Cannbis in Ireland? W.I.T are staging a debate on the issue and was wondering what the views of the public regarding this issue, here is the press release:

Legalise Cannabis Ireland v W.I.T Law Society
    Wednesday 12th of November
    7:30 The Gallery W.I.T (Cork Road Campus)

“This house believes that Cannabis should be made legal in this state”

W.I.T and www.pluggedin.ie are proud to present a debate which so many Irish citizens have strong opinions on. This night will see two teams of three debating the various arguments. The debate will be judged by a panel of three people consisting of High Court Judge, Tom Teeghan; Ex-Minister for Finance, Alan Dukes and also a legal representative from Waterford.

For years this debate has been burning on a world wide scale, between members from every corner of society. During this time, governments in countries such as The Netherlands, Canada, The U.K. and Belgium have taken steps toward a more liberalised view of cannabis by either totally decriminalising possession of the drug, or declassifying it’s possession to a minor crime. On the other end of the scale, the U.S has declared an all out war on drugs, introducing harsher laws and stiffer sentencing for those involved.

The arguments both for and against the legalisation are numerous and compelling. On one side you will hear arguments informing you that marijuana is a “gateway” drug, use of which will ultimately lead to stronger substance abuse. The pro weed lobbyists, on the other hand, will argue for the economic benefits to our country in these trying times, such as taxation and regulation. Legalisation opponents will tell you that long term subjection to marijuana use will lead to many health problems including dependency and mental illness, while marijuana supporters will urge you consider the medical advantages this plant can bring to relieve the suffering of chronic illnesses such as cancer.

Those who wish to keep this plant illegal want to deter the public from embracing marijuana in the same fashion our country has embraced the alcohol culture, stressing that our HSE and Gardai will face extraordinary expenses to repair the costs of legalisation on our society. However, those on the other side will strive to inform you of the importance of the most versatile plant on earth, hemp, and its many economic and social benefits.

This debate aims to educate the public on both sides of the argument and we hope the public will leave with an educated opinion based on both facts, not government scare mongering, from pro-weed lobbyists and the cold harsh truths from legalisation opponents, rather than the wishful thinking of pot smokers.

Are you in favour of legislation of Cannabis? 2 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 macdknife

This isnt even a debate it is just common sense. The fact that it isnt already legal here, and every place else, is just testiment to the fact that we are governed by idiots, too scared and stupid to take a step in a new direction. Too scared that some of the older, uneducated public (who happen to be the highest voting demographic) will be against it and switch their support. Even in the face of an economic depression, they will refuse to even consider this option which could take in billions of euro in tax revenue, never mind the money saved trying to fight this "war on drugs" that they and the rest of the world are loosing so badly.

Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jonnyrudyard

No one seems interested in discussing/debating, but I'll chime in:
    Plugged In wrote: »
    On the other end of the scale, the U.S has declared an all out war on drugs, introducing harsher laws and stiffer sentencing for those involved.
    FYI the U.S. has very mixed feelings about MJ. The "war on drugs" is nothing more than an old cliche which you rarely even hear any more, and if anything, attitudes towards MJ are becoming a bit more relaxed.
    The arguments both for and against the legalisation are numerous and compelling. On one side you will hear arguments informing you that marijuana is a “gateway” drug, use of which will ultimately lead to stronger substance abuse. The pro weed lobbyists, on the other hand, will argue for the economic benefits to our country in these trying times, such as taxation and regulation. Legalisation opponents will tell you that long term subjection to marijuana use will lead to many health problems including dependency and mental illness, while marijuana supporters will urge you consider the medical advantages this plant can bring to relieve the suffering of chronic illnesses such as cancer.

Those who wish to keep this plant illegal want to deter the public from embracing marijuana in the same fashion our country has embraced the alcohol culture, stressing that our HSE and Gardai will face extraordinary expenses to repair the costs of legalisation on our society. However, those on the other side will strive to inform you of the importance of the most versatile plant on earth, hemp, and its many economic and social benefits.
    My take on the various arguments put forth go something like this:

"It's a gateway drug"
    Not necessarily, and certainly not from a physical standpoint, but I do think many who get into drugs start here and move on to stronger stuff.

"It would generate revenue"
    A dicey reason for legalization. Yes it could generate a lot of money, but money should not be the driving force to legalize a drug. Based on that logic, let's legalize ALL drugs and generate even more money! And do you know how much it costs to keep even just one person in prison? Wow think of all the money we could save if we just let em go!

Yes, a silly example, but the logic is the same. Again: money should not be the driving force here.

"It's a health hazard"
    The studies done on MJ have given inconclusive results on potential physical (mostly cancer) dangers or mental. We do know MJ is not something one can become addicted to in any real sense of the word.

"It has health benefits"
    The only benefit I'm aware of is to cancer patients, to relieve nausea and increase appetite, though it might do similar for other diseases. I agree it should be available for those reasons to those people (PS not in a smokable form :rolleyes: )

"Alcohol is legal and they're both drugs!"
    True, but calling them "the same" just because they both fit under the broad category of "a drug" is a big oversimplification. Also, two wrongs do not make a right. eg just because there are drunk drivers on the road doesn't mean we should add stoned drivers to be "fair."

As you can see, I have mixed feelings. No easy answers IMO.

Advertisement