Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gearbox or clutch??

Options
  • 05-11-2008 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

hi guys just a quick question,

on my gearbox(89 pajero) 2nd and 3rd are pretty crunchy..all in all gearbox is pretty bet..just wondered should clutch be changed if gearbox is being changed?:confused:

also there is a bit of a knockin from underneath after a gear change..any ideas?

tell ya this wagon is givin me a ffew headaches latley!!

thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i'd change the clutch aswell if it hasnt bein changed in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Crunchy gear changes could be caused by either

A: worn syncromesh in gearbox
    (or maybe in extreme cases broken teeth on gears)

or

B: clutch not disengaging properly from the engine flywheel

For A: it's a case of replacing or reconditioning the gearbox
    (replace worn bearings, syncro rings and any damaged cogs)

For B: If this was your problem you car would also try to pull away when stopped at the lights in gear with your foot on the clutch.
    To test stop the car on level ground and with no brake applied engage the gears in turn (keeping foot on clutch). If the car creeps forward or stalls (i.e. behaves as if your're not pushing the clutch pedal down properly) then it's a clutch problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

NDM wrote: »
    hi guys just a quick question,

on my gearbox(89 pajero) 2nd and 3rd are pretty crunchy..all in all gearbox is pretty bet..just wondered should clutch be changed if gearbox is being changed?:confused:

also there is a bit of a knockin from underneath after a gear change..any ideas?

tell ya this wagon is givin me a ffew headaches latley!!

thanks in advance for any help!

Are you having trouble in all gears or just in 2nd and 3rd. Its unlikely that you would have clutch trouble in 2 of 6? gears (reverse and 5 forward). It is most likely to be a worn sychrnomesh plate or chipped gears.
    The best thing to do is if you have to change the gearbox is replace the clutch at the same time. Murphy's law says that you'll only have new gearbox in a few months and the clutch will fail.

You should look up reconditioned gearboxes, they are a significant saving over a new gearbox and if you find a reputable company they usually offer a limited/short warranty.

Advertisement