Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

iPod Ready Car for under 30k

Options
  • 05-11-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Some manufacturers claim to be iPod ready but Ceed for eg seems to be only after July 07 and the cable for the i30 doesnt come as standard according to one person I know who bought in Jan 08.

Its not the most important car issue at the moment but does anyone know of a car with an on the road price of 30k or lowe, that is iPod ready as standard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Or you could just get a new headunit with ipod connection ........ :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Funxy wrote: »
    Or you could just get a new headunit with ipod connection ........ :confused:

first thing that came to mind..looking for a car on the basis it's ipod ready is something that shouldn't even be considered buying a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

IPod connections can be fitted to any car. You should be basing your choice on car colour, rather than the silly stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

noblestee wrote: »
    You should be basing your choice on car colour, rather than the silly stuff

hahah..nice. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I think the new Laguna is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

€175 yo yo's got me a great radio, with a connection that i easily wired behind and into the glove box. Need never take me ipod in or out, and it's out of view. Halford do those one's that you can tune into your radio station for €20......

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

car manufacturers will love you,your willing to spent 30k on a car and and an ipod connection as standard would seal the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

ClioV6 wrote: »
    first thing that came to mind..looking for a car on the basis it's ipod ready is something that shouldn't even be considered buying a car.
    fm wrote: »
    car manufacturers will love you,your willing to spent 30k on a car and and an ipod connection as standard would seal the deal

Ah, the cutting wit.

The question stemmed from a conversation about ipods and the varying degrees of success with retro fitted ipod devices.

The 30k limit was to include cars that us mere mortals might be able to afford.

I thought there might be a more knowledgeable response from those with an interest in motors rather than the Tech forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Ah, the cutting wit.

The question stemmed from a conversation about ipods and the varying degrees of success with retro fitted ipod devices.

I thought there might be a more knowledgeable response from those with an interest in motors rather than the Tech forum.

Most cars these days can come fitted iPod ready i believe.
    BMW and VW do anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Mere mortals spending 30k on an ipod connector :D. Spend 29k on the car that you want and use the 1k you save to get a quality new headunit professionally installed if it doesn't have ipod connectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Aren't Opel advertising that the new Corsa has a connection? Looks like it's just a headphone jack though.
    Still, who really gives a crap. That's what FM transmitters are for! And not everyone has an iPod! There are many brands of MP3 players out there without being limited to that sh!tty iTunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Biro wrote: »
    Aren't Opel advertising that the new Corsa has a connection? Looks like it's just a headphone jack though.
    Still, who really gives a crap. That's what FM transmitters are for! And not everyone has an iPod! There are many brands of MP3 players out there without being limited to that sh!tty iTunes.

Yeah, the opels just have a stereo jack down by the Handbrake where you can plug in whatever you want.

Bout time really since it only costs pennies to put in a wire and connector at the time of manufacture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Ah, the cutting wit.

To answer your question I think you can specify an Ipod connection on most cars now so just pick any car you want and see how much it is to add a connection.

Ipod connection is 303euro extra on a Volkswagen passat for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

craichoe wrote: »
    Yeah, the opels just have a stereo jack down by the Handbrake where you can plug in whatever you want.

Bout time really since it only costs pennies to put in a wire and connector at the time of manufacture

My first car, a 96 Civic, had a headphone socket on the head unit, a Pioneer head unit. Standard fit in the Civics, not a replaced HU. Was for any Aux input. Handy device. Pity 12 years later they're only starting to come back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

The ould chap bought an i30 earlier this year (feb or march I think). dealer said it didnt come with the required cable as standard but it was in the glove box all along. Dad doesnt have an iPod though :) Plugged my own in just to check it out and it works a treat.

The idea of someone basing their purchases around their iPod is a bit mad!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Just buy a Dice Silverline kit for $149 and control the ipod directly thru the head unit and/or using the steering wheel.

Full access to search by albums, playlist and artists

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

craichoe wrote: »
    Most cars these days can come fitted iPod ready i believe.
    BMW and VW do anyway

The iPod connection in my VW cost €330.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

you can just by an adapter that goes into cigerette lighter and tune it into ur radio frequency - job done and spend 30k on a car for better merits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

You could have THREE Toyota Aygos with IPOD sockets for 30k and buy the cables from Ebay for under a tenner...But seriously buying a car based upon whether it is IPOD compatible is mental ,just mental...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

+1, just +1

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Ive got a car for sale you can have for 500 and ill have it set up ready to use an i pod for 29,500 extra

Ive got a car for sale you can have for 500 and ill have it set up ready to use an i pod for 29,500 extra

Lol, i was going to say the same thing, but i said i would wait for some one else to say it. And there you are:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Holy sh*t. buying a car on the basis that it's compatible with some poor quality disposable piece of consumer electronics...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

towel401 wrote: »
    Holy sh*t. buying a car on the basis that it's compatible with some poor quality disposable piece of consumer electronics...

Steve Jobs brainwashing to a whole new level.

I'd say the car will have to be white or blask as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Biro wrote: »

FM transmitters are HELL to work with if you're a long distance driver - which is why I've my DAB radio hard wired now. Driving down the M6 in the UK I retuned the FM output more times than I care to remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Its not the most important car issue at the moment but does anyone know of a car with an on the road price of 30k or lower, that is iPod ready as standard.
    Ah, the cutting wit.

towel401 wrote: »

ytareh, esel, Limerick-man and others - try reading the thread properly or are you just trying to spam up your post count. This opening question was not a reason for buying a car but question that came up when comparing the quality of FM transmitters - see MYOB's post.

It was an ipod question, to which I thought there would be a more informed response from the motor forum rather than the portable media player forum, because it relates directly to the large, expensive consumer item on 4 wheels.

The 30k limit was to exclude marques that some of us cant afford and not an indication that I was even considering buying a car and using ipod conenctivity as a criteria. However, I would like to change my car and one of the models I'm considering is the cee'd SW and my reasons for choosing it are, 5+2 years warranty, 1.6l diesel engine, price, drive. If I ever change will be completely down to the willingness of a dealer to accept a trade in at a price I can afford. That's my main criteria for buying any car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well, I bought a car earlier this year, that had a good aftermarket i-Pod navigable head unit fitted. It's very nice, and we use it a lot. My wife even more than I.

Considering she nearly killed me for buying the i-Pod in the first place, that's some turn-around !

My head unit is this, the Alpine CDA-9851R. As mentioned, it does work well, but it's not perfect. I find the search function somewhere between slow and useless. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure it's working properly at all - according to the book, there is a quicksearch feature on it, but tbh, I can't seem to get it to work that way. So, if, for example you want to scroll to an artist with the letter 'M'........well, let's just say, you wouldn't want to be driving and doing it at the same time.

Close, but no cigar is what I'd call it.....

387870091_R6Uie-L.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

ytareh, esel, Limerick-man and others - try reading the thread properly or are you just trying to spam up your post count. This opening question was not a reason for buying a car but question that came up when comparing the quality of FM transmitters - see MYOB's post.

I gave a less detailed version of what galwaytt says, and i get slated for it?
    €175 yo yo's got me a great radio, with a connection that i easily wired behind and into the glove box. Need never take me ipod in or out, and it's out of view. Halford do those one's that you can tune into your radio station for €20......

Huh, last time i give advice to you. And post count? I'd call it a problem if people worry about the number of posts they have. If you don't want peoples opinions on a public forum, ask elsewheres. You were fairly vague with your question, which basically seemed you were looking for a car, with no other concern than an ipod cable. What did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Some manufacturers claim to be iPod ready but Ceed for eg seems to be only after July 07 and the cable for the i30 doesnt come as standard according to one person I know who bought in Jan 08.

Its not the most important car issue at the moment but does anyone know of a car with an on the road price of 30k or lowe, that is iPod ready as standard.
    This is your OP. It seems I didn't read your mind very well. Sorry.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

esel wrote: »
    This is your OP. It seems I didn't read your mind very well. Sorry.

I thought it was clear he wanted to stay clear of those hellish FM transmitters. They all sound like muck obviously, given the limitations of the technology.

To OP, various Mazdas can also be spec'ed with from factory (at your cost).

Advertisement