Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for tall fast growing tree for screening

Options
  • 05-11-2008 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

As title say I am looking for a recommendation for a tall fast growing tree to provide good screening from being overlooked? I am looking at using bamboo but was wondering if there anybody had recommendations for some native trees that might do the job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Poplars can grow tall and quick, possibly look at some alder as well.
    What height do they need to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

I guess they need to be 4 or 5 meters. Fast growing is essential and retention of leaves in winter is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Beware of Poplars when planting trees in gardens. As a rough guide the distance for planting a tree should not be less it's equivalent mature height near a building.

Evergreens fine, but what are the aspects, is it an exposed site, a large site,

Olive trees are EG but not terribly fast growing, Eucalpytus is but it reaches heights much greater than required, but could be pruned back regularly?

Acacia, Mimosa or also others. Also EG Oak..etcetc

Bamboo can be very effective and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fast growing and retains leaves+ native... Hmmm thats a tough one.
    Off hand probably Laurel would fit the bill , not native though.
    Eucalyptus tend to grow very fast and put out a shallow root plate then fall over in any kind of wind, they really need very dry conditions to develop a proper tap root that will anchor them well.
    Bamboo can be very troublesome in a garden as they can spread and are very difficult to control.
    Not all types do so but lots of places will sell you anything for a sale.
    I still think Laurel will probably be your best choice.
    Glossy green leaves and tough with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 avs0020

I live in the equivalent of a wind tunnel so I sympathise with your need for speed. Here's some of the partial solutions that have worked for me.

Laurel is brilliant for its speed but a row of glossy leaves can be a tad off putting if you're in a rural environment. I broke up the monochrome affect of a row of laurels by interspersing periodically a lot of Escallonia, a few Leylandii , Photina Red Robin and Ceonothus. All of these are now topping 6 to 7 feet after about 3 to 4 years. I also planted a row of hawthorn and fuschia behind that. I know they're not evergreen but they grow so quickly and even without their leaves they do offer some wind protection. They're topping 8 to 10 feet on average. I believe the protection they offered also helped the evergreen hedges in the row in front grown a bit faster (I have no scientific basis for this belief, just a theory).

I absolutely hate the damned things because of their spiky leaves getting in evrything but dont forget your Holly bushes. They grow quite fast and the birds love them. Pampas grass can help.

My absolute favorite in terms of speed and wow factor must be a row of dog woods. I know they're not evergreens but I dont think there is a single season where they dont look striking, and if placed if front of a row of fuchsias or hawthorn, the cobined effort should still give you some protection.

As to the bamboo option, there is one variety that doesnt spread and has gorgeous leaves but only grows to around 5 feet = Pleioblastus Auricomus. The main bamboo that takes over the garden is the Fargesia and that can still help your wind break if you plant in pots. I use those cheap flexible trugs and then either bury them or hide them behind other shrubs. Trouble is that, when left without a periodic check, roots got out of the drainage holes which were like pin pricks, and the infernal plant still started to spread.

I am such an amateur at all of this and for each success has been 10 failures but I do hope my experiences help. Happy gardening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement