Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do touchscreen screens break easily?

• 05-11-2008 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

how durable are touchscreen phones?
    i'm interested specifically in the tocco and lg renoir?
    but any advice is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,466 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

metalfest wrote: »

ya that LG renoir looks nice

not sure about durability but i had the orignal iphone for a few months and it was working perfectly for me

also i recommend buying from the shops here so ull have a warrenty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

i think they're strong enough, but like i was in germany a few months back, it was either an iphone or iphone 3g ....
    the woman i was staying with had just got it 2days before she, while getting out of her car dropped it, screen shattered, 200/300e for replacement.....
    but then i think of the old ipaq and palm pilot which had touchscreen years ago, you could throw it against a wall no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

the viewty is a very durable phone...i bounced it off tiles more times, it's a toughscreen phone(excuse the pun):).....the Renior feels fragile but not near as fragile as an iphone....the Tocco is somewhere inbetween the viewty and renior...

thanks drunkmonkey :)
    unfortunately due to meteor's lack of amazing phones i think i'll be getting a tocco in a week or two........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I dropped my asus p550 a dozen times at least...no damage yet. but I would probably stick one of those fancy touchers into a good case to be on the safe side! i don't think my e61 would have lasted 2 1/2 years without the krusell ;) and once my P550 lands on the 'buttered' side it'll break, I'm sure. It's the law :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dropped my tocco a couple of times, no damage. Tend to be one of those people with a two-week old phone that's scratched to **** cos I carry it around in the same pocket as my keys. The tocco's done fine in 2 months with me. Only a tiny scratch on the screen so far.

does that affect using the tocco?

Nope, not in the slightest.

hmm:) i think i might get it, will try it out first tho, i text ALOT so it has to be okay with texting:)

If you do a lot of texting, I would advise against a touchscreen, or at least the tocco. The Tocco in particular has its various functions placed badly, so you sometimes have to get the angle of you thumb just right to hit the correct button. If you're a good touch typist, then getting something with a qwerty keyboard (touch screen or normal) will see you text like lightning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,466 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

whats the LG renoir like for txting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

metalfest wrote: »

If you buy a touchscreen phone, make sure you get Insurance to go with it. Dropped my iPhone 3G out of my shirt pocket earlier this week...screen shattered....not pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ubaroo

the lg renoir has a qwerty keyboard if you turn it on its side :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Be aware that some phones have plastic resistive touchscreens while others have glass capacitive ones. The glass ones are far more responsive and are very hard to scratch, but they are more likely to shatter. The plastic ones are less responsive, easy to scratch, but much less likely to crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

mobius42 wrote: »
    Be aware that some phones have plastic resistive touchscreens while others have glass capacitive ones. The glass ones are far more responsive and are very hard to scratch, but they are more likely to shatter. The plastic ones are less responsive, easy to scratch, but much less likely to crack.

aka the LG Viewty, tough as old boots...

Advertisement