Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipping the dangerous horse

Options
  • 05-11-2008 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Any sound experience based ideas would be great, trying not to use drugs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well what exactly is the problem?

I've heard of people getting the horse used to the sound slowly, using a hair-dryer. I've never had much of a problem clipping my mare though. So no personal experience to share there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Thanks Fits He strikes out after a few minutes think the sensation bugs him and he is being a bully really.

Well if he's being a bully put him right. If its fear (and it most likely is) slowly increase his exposure to the clippers if you can.

Also make sure your clippers are well-oiled and the blades are sharp.

There is a clipper called Liscop. Its cordless and quiet.

Might help. I would agree with fits, don't let him get away with lashing out. A touch might help as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

What age is your horse? If it's his first or second time, then yes slow consistent exposure is the best. If however this is a problem every time he is clipped then i might suggest the following. Some dope (consult with your vet) and a twitch. Have someone hold the horse for you with his head turned to the side you are working on. Just because the horse might be doped, it doesn't mean he can't still strike out. So be careful.

EDIT: Just saw you don't want to use drugs! So perhaps a long bout of exercise to make him tired ( you will have to wash to remove sweat) might tire him out a bit, and a twitch(?) or touch. Another thing you might do is get someone competent to hold one of his front legs up while you clip the tricky parts. He is less likely to kick out then.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks do plan to resrain a leg and may have to dope he is always tough tiring him is a plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Cloudy22

hey, I'm not sure how much time you want to "invest" in this, but if you're not in too much of a rush and prefer to avoid using drugs/twitch, etc, this might work for you. A friend of mine has a mare who used to go hysterical at the mere sight of clippers and had to be fully sedated every time. Then two years ago my friend decided she didnt't want to have to sedate her any more so she decided to get her horse "desensitised" to clippers. It took her over a month though, but it worked! What she did was for the first few days she'd come in to her stable with the clippers turned off and show them to her, let her sniff them, etc. Then gently started going over her body with the clippers still turned off. After a few days of this and once the mare was fully happy with this, she started turning them on, at first far away from the mare, preferrably while she was being fed. She did this for another while, and graudually coming closer to the horse. If she started getting really anxious, she'd step back for a bit and gently come forward again and so on. Again, she waited until the mare was fully comfortable with the noise of the clippers at a reasonable distance before she even came near her. And then very gradually she started getting closer and closer, a little bit more every day, rewarding her every time she stayed calm, and finally she was able to turn them on right beside the mare. Only then did she start attempting to actually clip her, which she did over several days, starting with the easy parts, and only a bit every day so the horse wouldn't lose patience. Now she's no longer afraid of clippers and she can clip her all by herself without having to sedate her or using a twitch on her. The only thing is you need to have a lot of time and patience :)
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Is the clippers too loose or blunt and 'pinching' or 'pulling' the horse's hair? Or are the blades quite hot and therefore unfomfortable. The only reason I ask is because a friend asked me to help clip their usually quiet horse who started to act up while being clipped. Turned out the clippers was too loose and was pulling the horse's coat as it was being clipped. I've seen the other happen too.

I.ve tried all the above and then some I was hoping for a miracle cure thank you for all the replies but indeed the sedation is required.

needadvice wrote: »
    I.ve tried all the above and then some I was hoping for a miracle cure thank you for all the replies but indeed the sedation is required.

Sometimes it's the only answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

what about clipping in a crush??? used do this withe on of my lads cause he used walk all over whoever was holding him. crush works for walkers and kickers! not the easier method of clipping but it might be good for getting some exposure to the clippers where stricking out isnt easy!

I'd be very dubious about putting a horse under pressure in a crush.

I'd definitely try the desensitizing approach first and then sedate.

i dunno ive seen many "impossible" clippers be quietened by a crush...... its not an ideal situation obviously but its a little better than sedation in my books! with sedation the horse will learn nothin...... you will always have to sedate if you start because people close their minds to other options when they see how easy it is sedated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

fits wrote: »
    I'd be very dubious about putting a horse under pressure in a crush.

I'd definitely try the desensitizing approach first and then sedate.

I'd second that re-crush, definately not a very safe option, it won't make the horse any easier to clip to cure his fear of clipping.

obv im not suggesting you keep the horse there under pressure....... that would be very stupid of me! im sayin if the horse can be put in a crush and not panic then it might be a safer way to desensitise the horse...... im not sayin at all to just whack him in the crush and belt away........

dont forget the person clipping is alos at risk here and you have to consider both parties in m opinion when over coming a problem like this.... you dont want to put anyone at risk!

I just think a horse who realises he is trapped and cant get away from 'the danger' is more likely to panic. And panic + crush is not safe for anyone.

Well it depends on the crush. If the crush is properly built, it will be safe even if the horse does panic. However i would avoid it at all costs if the horse is likely to panic. If you must clip a horses head then perhaps it 's a good idea. Clipping a horses body is not a good idea in a crush as it is quite possible that you might get your hand crushed between the bars of the crush and the horse.

Advertisement