Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2009 - a new motorsport for me.

• 05-11-2008 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

After watching the seemingly-fixed nature of this year's F1 championship, I'm willing to follow something altogether more in the spirit of motor-racing next year.

I've been sorta following the British Formula 3 and GT stuff on channel 4, which is really good. Any other suggestions for something truly great?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

IanCurtis wrote: »
    After watching the seemingly-fixed nature of this year's F1 championship, I'm willing to follow something altogether more in the spirit of motor-racing next year.

I've been sorta following the British Formula 3 and GT stuff on channel 4, which is really good. Any other suggestions for something truly great?

IndyCar, NASCAR, MotoGP, V8 Supercars, there's a good few to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

amacachi wrote: »
    IndyCar, NASCAR, MotoGP, V8 Supercars, there's a good few to choose from.

Indycar I love, but not much coverage (?)

NASCAR has too many breaks and the coverage? 7pm until 12am?? :p

MotoGP - not huge fan of bikes

V8 Supercars....this is the Aussie touring cars? This sounds great, is there much coverage?

:)

Indycar I love, but not much coverage (?)

NASCAR has too many breaks and the coverage? 7pm until 12am?? :p

MotoGP - not huge fan of bikes

V8 Supercars....this is the Aussie touring cars? This sounds great, is there much coverage?

:)

Have ya Sky Digital or Sky+ or what's the story?

I do find the IndyCar grand, there's usually a repeat the Monday morning.

Yeah the NASCAR is long but I don't mind tbh, good for chillin out to.

As for the V8 Supercars, it's on Motors TV which is a drawback for me, I can't ever work out what race is on when etc. But yeah, it's like the aussie Touring Cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I'm in Oz for 1st half of 2009 so V8 it is.....first stop Bathurst!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

BTCC!!!!!!

Having said that I didn't catch one race this year (I was always too busy at the wkends). But for close doorbanging action, and quick and very skilled drivers giving it all, you can't beat it!

I never really got into the v8 supercars, but it looks like good close racing also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

The Aussies love their V8's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Timmaay wrote: »
    BTCC!!!!!!

+1
    Excellent racing

Now that SEAT have pulled out though i am not so sure how it will go :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Timmaay wrote: »
    BTCC!!!!!!

Having said that I didn't catch one race this year (I was always too busy at the wkends). But for close doorbanging action, and quick and very skilled drivers giving it all, you can't beat it!

I never really got into the v8 supercars, but it looks like good close racing also!

+1

Very interesting and entertaining races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

DTM FTW

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

T-Maxx wrote: »
    DTM FTW
    DTM is worthless these days now that it's gone for a longer format. The field gets far too strung out.

For sheer bang for your buck, you want the BTCC. Sprint races, lots of overtaking and minimal interference (compared to the WTCC, the success ballast system employed is nothing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

BTCC & Aussie V8's FTW!

NASCAR is decent and the championship is down to the wire, probably best to watch the last 30-40mins, youll see all the crashes from earlier in replays anyway :)

T-Maxx wrote: »
    DTM FTW

Gonna have to disagree with you on that one, watched some of it last year, thought it was terribly boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Any other suggestions for something truly great?
    Legends in Mondello!
    Shameless plug i know, but, it is very exciting racing with more overtaking in 1 race than in a whole season of F1! The 1st ever Irish Championship starts in March.

However, if your a sofa supporter, i recommend World Super Bikes and WTCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Ian,

Bathurst isn't on until October.

I'm just back from my honeymoon Down Under and was at the Bathurst 1000 (it was absolutely brilliant and my wife really enjoyed it too).

Check out http://www.v8supercar.com.au for all the news and officicla calendar for 2009!

I've only been into V8s since 2005 (when I first started properly following it on Motors TV) and it's a really good watch.

By the way, the V8s sound delicious when heard in person!

If you want any more info, please feel free to contact me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

ALMS or ELMS but preferibly ALMS. Some of the road courses in america are truely daunting and there's no silly racing in circles as with other US motor sports. Bottom line, serious cars, serious drivers, serious tracks. The only thing that comes close to F1 for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

For entertainment alone I watched Formula Woman once on TV. (odd name!). They were racing Mazda RX8's. What made it so entertaining was the vast range of skills on the track. Two or three talented women at the front, mediocre in the middle and woeful at the back to the point where I know I could race better than them! All that combined in equal cars on the same track meant for some serious moves when the leaders were lapping the crappy drivers, who would make some odd move mid-corner meaning the leader might have to take serious evasive action and go off the track once or twice!!
    Haven't seen it since on TV though.

Biro wrote: »
    For entertainment alone I watched Formula Woman once on TV. (odd name!). They were racing Mazda RX8's. What made it so entertaining was the vast range of skills on the track. Two or three talented women at the front, mediocre in the middle and woeful at the back to the point where I know I could race better than them! All that combined in equal cars on the same track meant for some serious moves when the leaders were lapping the crappy drivers, who would make some odd move mid-corner meaning the leader might have to take serious evasive action and go off the track once or twice!!
    Haven't seen it since on TV though.

I actually watched that as well.
    Very entertaining and as you said
    some of the front drivers were well skilled

On another note
    I wonder will we see Danica Patrick in an F1 car anytime soon ?
    That is one driver I would dearly support :cool:

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Danica Patrick is a useless twit who doesnt deserve a F1 drive. She tries to make her self out to be a serious driver who says herself she wants to be taken seriously. Then she goes and does a FHM shoot. Their are a hundred better drivers who could get a F1 seat but she would get it over them because she is a woman. I have no problem with women drivers if the are as good as the lads but I do have a problem with them getting an advantage because they are women.

Huh..!!
    If she did as well as the lads??
    Correct me if i am wrong but did she not beat the whole field recently??

Is that not doing better than the lads?

As for FHM photoshoot..
    Just watch that plonker Hamilton pop up in every photoshoot known to man.
    Then again
    maybe you would have a valide reason for a "LAD" to do that .:rolleyes:

If Danica Patrick was not a good driver she would not have the seat she currently has.
    Maybe I detect a little jealousy because she has dont better than you? :cool:

Danica Patrick was named the Rookie of the Year for both the 2005 Indianapolis 500 and the 2005 IndyCar Series season. In May 2006, she published her autobiography, Danica: Crossing the Line. With her win in the 2008 Indy Japan 300, Patrick became the first woman to win an Indy car race.

So what you are saying is that she does not deserve the above??

Maybe you should take over running motorsports all over the world and only give credit to who YOU think deserves it.
    Or maybe it is just past your bedtime and you are not thinking straight :rolleyes:

Has Hamiltion done a womens magazine shoot in just in boxers?

Not yet.
    But
    I really dont know what that has got to do with her proffesional skills.
    Look at Beckam

What about the silly underwear posing he did..
    Does that mean he doesnt deserve to play soccer??

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ficus wrote: »
    vectra, i think the point that lightning is trying to get across is that danica patrick is more of a celeb who has modeled out a career for herself on the basis that she is female. the fhm thing is contradictory to the image she is trying to portray to everyone. good photos alright but not the correct thing to do in her position.
    i saw a program about her a few years back and the whole selling point of her getting her drive was the fact that she was female and the attention she brought to the team and sponsors.
    now, i couldnt care less about about this but does she deserve an f1 drive on the premise that she is female, no way. she has some talent, but would i class her as a talented driver, no, far from it, she is far too inconsistent and has not shown any serious pace when she has been in the best car. she also has a weight advantage over all the other drivers due to the rules in indycar, about 20kgs, which is a mountain of weight to haul around.
    there is at least 100 other drivers out there that would do a better job in an f1 car, but the fact that she is female, it is almost wrong to say anything bad about her for fear of being deemed a sexiest prat.
    her racing record isn't exactly steller: http://www.driverdb.com/drivers/229/career/

plus when she goes and does stuff like this, then of course people are not going to be too fond of her:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXUd6n1Vti8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEwPu4fKmQc

I understand all the FHM drama ye are on about and all that.
    BUT
    You must admit there are several drivers in F1 that should never have been there.
    Why could she not be as good or better than those?

Her driving CV is not the worst Ive seen

OH
    And what you said about that all Lightning is trying to piont out was ...!!
    Well
    I think you may be wrong there.. in fact almost every post I try to make here giving my opinion on a driver or f1 in general he comes along trying to act the "Know it all muppet" and try's his best contradict everything I say.

Npw
    Back on topic.

You say she is far too inconsistant.?

What about this for consistancy.

Danica Patrick began go-karting in 1992 at the age of 10, and went on to win several World Karting Association championships. She moved to England at the age of 16 in order to advance her racing career. Patrick raced in Formula Ford and Formula Vauxhall, earning a second-place finish in Britain's Formula Ford Festival, the highestfinish by a woman in the event.

In 2002, Patrick started driving for Bobby Rahal in the United States. After making several starts in the Barber Dodge Pro Series, she moved to the Toyota Atlantic Championship for 2003. Driving for Rahal Letterman Racing, Patrick won one pole and was a consistent podium finisher (top three); however, she never won a race. In 2004, Patrick finished third in the Championship.

Doesnt look to bad so far does it :rolleyes:

Ficus wrote: »
    your point about her consistency in toyota atlantic does not exactly say much. the series is of a very poor standard, and was even worse back when she was getting her finishes and third places. she did nothing in vauxalls, one good finish in fords but nothing else of note.
    i did say in my previous post that i think she does have a bit of talent, but i dont think that her marginal talent and her lack of a penis should make her an f1 driver.

She was still consistant.
    Either way she raced against opther drivers and did well.

My original suggestion that as a female I think she would top the list of likely canditates and I for one would Love to see her in a decent car race against some of the current F1 lineup.

Years = 4

Teams = 2

Races = 64

Poles = 3

Wins = 1

Podiums (Non-win) =3

Top 10s (Non-podium) = 32 { 4th to 10th place }

Indianapolis 500 Wins = 0

Championships = 0

Not too shabby out of a big feild of drivers.

I still say she would fit in well in an F1 car.

You mean if she were put in a McLaren and Hamilton was put in a Force india he would beat her hands down :rolleyes:

Pfft.
    Rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

vectra wrote: »
    earning a second-place finish in Britain's Formula Ford Festival, the highestfinish by a woman in the event.
    I was there that year, she was nowhere near quick enough to run second. If i remember correctly she was running about 6th and there was an incident ahead and she was gifted 2nd.
    She's not good enough for F1, but neither are a lot of drivers on the grid.
    The so-called "World Karting Association championships" is a crappy American championship, nothing worldwide about it. Plus American karting is historically un-competitive compared to European/Asian.
    I dont know why all the giving out about the FHM shoot... i liked it! :P

nikimere wrote: »
    but neither are a lot of drivers on the grid.

I dont know why all the giving out about the FHM shoot... i liked it! :P

Agreed on both points.:D
    Thats a poor record, if you think thats good enough for the higest level of motorsport on the planet then I think you need your head checked.

Why dont you put your money where your mouth is and do better than her then?
    why dont you apply for her seat explaining how bad she is and exactly how superior you would be.
    You might get a surprise :rolleyes:

. In any case just because she has that seat doesnt mean she is a good pilot.

You know what
    You probably are dead right.
    She got the seat simply on the grounds of being such a bad driver.. NOT,, That is one of the most ridiculous statements you could have made.
    Show me a team that gives a seat to someone for their looks or whatever. :rolleyes:

You might get a surprise if you actually talked to some race drivers and get a clue about how it works :rolleyes: Instead of drooling over some over-rated FHM model and doing your best to make out like she is the next big thing.

Actually,
    I do have enough of an idea as to how it works thank you very much.
    And as a matter of fact,
    I never did see that edition of fhm nor did I even know of its existance until YOU pointed it out to me.. .. So it must have been you that was drooling over it and not me ;)

Your such a muppet if you think people only get racing seats because of talent. If you have enough money you can get pretty much any race seat.

So are you saying that you have neither Talent or Money as you are racing Micky mouse cars? Is that all you are capable of ??:rolleyes:

Why do you always bring it back to me vectra? Im no longer going to waste my time, I have made my point which has proved your wrong and your still trying to prove something. Your easily the biggest clown on this forum by a long margin. Stick to your model cars

Why do I always bring it back to you??

Are you forgetting something??
    you are the one that jumped on my reply to this topic. NOT ME..!!

So possibly it is you that is the MUppet and Clown with your micky mouse race car.

:rolleyes:

Micky mouse race car, yea Formula Vee is one of the oldest formula`s on the planet and also one of the most popular. How about you go to a race meeting and say what you said and see how long you last. Funny calling them micky mouse considering what do you do building model cars. Good one

There is a difference between Building/Enjoying Radio Control cars and Being a Big headed Muppet driving |Micky Mouse race cars thinking he is the be all and end all of Racers.. Ha..!"
    Muppet :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Oh for f**k's sake, will the two of ye just cop yourselves on and stop trading insults like a couple of 8 year olds in a school playground! :mad:

Okay, we get it already! LIGHTNING thinks Danica Patrick is an overrated diva (for what it's worth, I'd tend to agree with him to a certain extent but I'm not getting dragged into this! :D) and vectra thinks the sun shines out of her (admittedly very nice! ;) ) arse. We get the point. Now let's just move on from this slagging match and get back to the original point of the thread before I end up having to report it to the mods and have it locked because I'm sick of listening to the two of ye at this stage! Jaysus, I'm starting to sound like my dear, departed mother now when she'd try to stop me and my siblings fighting or something! :D

Oh for f**k's sake, will the two of ye just cop yourselves on and stop trading insults like a couple of 8 year olds in a school playground! :mad:

Okay, we get it already! LIGHTNING thinks Danica Patrick is an overrated diva (for what it's worth, I'd tend to agree with him to a certain extent but I'm not getting dragged into this! :D) and vectra thinks the sun shines out of her (admittedly very nice! ;) ) arse. We get the point. Now let's just move on from this slagging match and get back to the original point of the thread before I end up having to report it to the mods and have it locked because I'm sick of listening to the two of ye at this stage! Jaysus, I'm starting to sound like my dear, departed mother now when she'd try to stop me and my siblings fighting or something! :D

I never did say that I thought the Sun shines out of her Ar$e.
    All I did say was that i would like to see her race in F1.
    Is that such a big deal?
    Does it constitute reason for a muppet to come along acting all Knowledgable and full of his own importance to an extent that he can hurl insults at me when he chooses?

Remember that this is not the first time he has insulted me but i will say this.
    It had better be his last insult fired my direction.:mad:

Advertisement