Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions-Computing Related

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭karma403

I just realised I overlooked something
    Continuous assesment is 70%

Do you know is that percentage for first year only or does it carry through to year 2 & 3? In the course I'm doing now, it's all continuous assesment, I definately prefer it to exams.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It was the the same split for me in second and third year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

karma403 wrote: »
    Do you know is that percentage for first year only or does it carry through to year 2 & 3? In the course I'm doing now, it's all continuous assesment, I definately prefer it to exams.

Not 100% clear on what your asking so I'll say this:

I'm almost positive the 70% CA is just for this year, as our 2 database tests done so far have been 17.5% and 10%
    As for the grading system in 2nd year on I'd Imagine its CA also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

karma403 wrote: »
    I just realised I overlooked something

first and second year are roughly 60%-70% CA, in third year its around 50%-60% CA and in fourth year its roughly 30%-50% CA. Its pretty low in fourth year for some subjects, its all to do with the external examiner, some of them want the final exam to be worth a lot, a lot has to do with the subject as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Well I'm going doing the Web Development coarse should everything go smoothly in September 2009:D
    If I do WD is there any way I could addon to it easily after the coarse is finished, like go into the final year of Software/Game development?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

Thomas-G wrote: »
    Well I'm going doing the Web Development coarse should everything go smoothly in September 2009:D
    If I do WD is there any way I could addon to it easily after the coarse is finished, like go into the final year of Software/Game development?

Dunno bout that, I could ask around I suppose. I applied for WD this year but there wasnt enough interest in the course and it didnt run, hopefully it wont be the same for you.

I'm doubt that would be possible, and why would want to transfer? game development is very different to web development. game development would be using the programming language c++, the web course uses c#. It isnt that easy to move from c# to c++, espicealy if you learned to programm using c#, c# is very easy compared to c++ (c# does most of the memory management for you, c++ doesnt).

If you want to transfer into game programming after 4 years doing web, i would advise doing a masters in game development. It would probably be easier than joining the game development course at 4th year. If you join a course at 4th year, you only do 5-6 subjects. Some of these subjects may have been tought in the preivous years of the course, and at 4th year would be at a very high level, e.g. maths and probably AI. (you do maths in the web course, but at a much lower level that woud be required for a game development course, the maths in the web course is pretty eash thh).

I graduated 3 weeks ago from sligo from the software development course, one of my mates from the class is doing a masters in game development in dundee at the moment. He says its tough but he loves it. The web course is similar to the software course, they are 2 great courses in my opinion. Best of luck with the course and i would worry about the game development until you are in 3rd or 4th year!! enjoy the first 2 years of the course, they are by far the easiest!!:D

BCawley wrote: »
    Dunno bout that, I could ask around I suppose. I applied for WD this year but there wasnt enough interest in the course and it didnt run, hopefully it wont be the same for you.
    Didn't know that, though ya went for SD as first choice!
    I'm doubt that would be possible, and why would want to transfer? game development is very different to web development. game development would be using the programming language c++, the web course uses c#. It isnt that easy to move from c# to c++, espicealy if you learned to programm using c#, c# is very easy compared to c++ (c# does most of the memory management for you, c++ doesnt).

If you want to transfer into game programming after 4 years doing web, i would advise doing a masters in game development. It would probably be easier than joining the game development course at 4th year. If you join a course at 4th year, you only do 5-6 subjects. Some of these subjects may have been tought in the preivous years of the course, and at 4th year would be at a very high level, e.g. maths and probably AI. (you do maths in the web course, but at a much lower level that woud be required for a game development course, the maths in the web course is pretty eash thh).

I graduated 3 weeks ago from sligo from the software development course, one of my mates from the class is doing a masters in game development in dundee at the moment. He says its tough but he loves it. The web course is similar to the software course, they are 2 great courses in my opinion. Best of luck with the course and i would worry about the game development until you are in 3rd or 4th year!! enjoy the first 2 years of the course, they are by far the easiest!!:D
    I meant continue my education after completing WD. I just wanted to be flexible, I'm not too interested in Games Dev as sales are linked too much to the state of the economy, games being a luxury. I'd be happy enough with SD as it's level 7, I could easily manage WD afterwards as I already know a fair bit of php, css and ruby. So far WD is my first in L8 and SD is my first in LV, both in Sligo.

I meant continue my education after completing WD. I just wanted to be flexible, I'm not too interested in Games Dev as sales are linked too much to the state of the economy, games being a luxury. I'd be happy enough with SD as it's level 7, I could easily manage WD afterwards as I already know a fair bit of php, css and ruby. So far WD is my first in L8 and SD is my first in LV, both in Sligo.

Most software jobs at the moment involve web programming. the web development course and the software course are very similar. the main differences are the web course will do some graphic design for web pages like flash (and maby silverlight), and the software course will do more windows based programming. subjects like software engineering, AI, systems analysis, database, human computer interaction and web programming are done by both courses. However, when it comes to getting a job (assuming you want a web job), practicly all of the graphic end will be done by designers not programmers, the programming end could be done by a graduate of either the software or web course, They are that similar. Im supprised there even is a seperate web and software course, they should be combined!

The software course is a L7, but it is VERY easy to get into 4th year to get your L8, there isnt a limit on places. Really all you have to do is pass 3rd year and do a perform well at your work placement and you are grand. Only one of the students in my course didnt get into 4th year, he failed a subject in 3rd year and had to be compensated, saying that, he wasnt the best attender and i think they mey have held that against him.

Im may not be the best person to give you advise on the web and software course, as i did the L8 in software dev, I would prefer if you did that course!! However, i feel you would be a better overall programmer if you did the software course. If you want to ring the college and ask for the email of Tom Mc Cormack or John Kelleher. They are two lecturers in the web and software courses, they know their stuff and are pretty sound guys

With the game programming, doing one year of a game development course will be a wast of time. Very different course, and i doubt you would be let into 4th year, unless you have a done some L7 in game development before. As i said earlier the masters in games development would be a better option, as you would be starting the masters course from scratch, rather than entering the 4th year of another course. In the first 3 years of the course, the Maths would be a lot harder, and direct X would have been looked at in detail. anway, as i said earlier dont worry about games programming until you are in 3rd or 4th year, you will know exactly what i mean at that stage! ;)

Most software jobs at the moment involve web programming. the web development course and the software course are very similar. the main differences are the web course will do some graphic design for web pages like flash (and maby silverlight), and the software course will do more windows based programming. subjects like software engineering, AI, systems analysis, database, human computer interaction and web programming are done by both courses. However, when it comes to getting a job (assuming you want a web job), practicly all of the graphic end will be done by designers not programmers, the programming end could be done by a graduate of either the software or web course, They are that similar. Im supprised there even is a seperate web and software course, they should be combined!

The software course is a L7, but it is VERY easy to get into 4th year to get your L8, there isnt a limit on places. Really all you have to do is pass 3rd year and do a perform well at your work placement and you are grand. Only one of the students in my course didnt get into 4th year, he failed a subject in 3rd year and had to be compensated, saying that, he wasnt the best attender and i think they mey have held that against him.

Im may not be the best person to give you advise on the web and software course, as i did the L8 in software dev, I would prefer if you did that course!! However, i feel you would be a better overall programmer if you did the software course. If you want to ring the college and ask for the email of Tom Mc Cormack or John Kelleher. They are two lecturers in the web and software courses, they know their stuff and are pretty sound guys

With the game programming, doing one year of a game development course will be a wast of time. Very different course, and i doubt you would be let into 4th year, unless you have a done some L7 in game development before. As i said earlier the masters in games development would be a better option, as you would be starting the masters course from scratch, rather than entering the 4th year of another course. In the first 3 years of the course, the Maths would be a lot harder, and direct X would have been looked at in detail. anway, as i said earlier dont worry about games programming until you are in 3rd or 4th year, you will know exactly what i mean at that stage! ;)
    Thanks very much, very helpful!

• Advertisement
Advertisement